News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

The W3C and Microsoft

Started by Oldiesmann, November 03, 2003, 10:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Lately, it seems that Microsoft and the W3C are fighting one another because Microsoft has developed some new features that are supported in their browser but that the W3C hasn't made standard. These include CSS Scrollbars (special CSS properties that control what the scrollbar in the browser looks like), as well as "bordercolorLight" and "bordercolorDark" attributes for the table tag, giving the table a nice 3D effect. Personally, I think the W3C should standardize these two things, because it's fun making the scrollbar match your webpage, and giving tables a 3D effect. Why do you think the W3C isn't making these things standard? I know they declared that CSS scrollbars are "illegal" and have even developed a way for users of IE6 and other browsers supporting this to keep their scrollbars from changing when their browser encounters this code.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tim

yeah, I agree that these things should be made standard :)

SparkieGeek

I disagree.

Scrollbars should be customized by the user through their OS not a website! If you don't subscribe to that, then surely you're opening the door to websites changing the entire interface of the browser.... "but my site looks better when the back button is rainbow coloured"

Oldiesmann

No, I don't want people being able to customize the buttons on a browser, especially since every browser is different. I just think that colored scrollbars should be standard. Since some people won't like it, there could be an option to turn off this feature in the browser's settings...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

chris

My personal opinion is that Microsuxx should first write a truely CSS-compatible browser an THEN they could think about introducing new features...

David

Quote from: Christian Land on November 03, 2003, 11:24:47 AM
My personal opinion is that Microsuxx should first write a truely CSS-compatible browser an THEN they could think about introducing new features...
Amen to that!

I like my scrollbars as they are on my Mac, don't want people changing them for the hell of it.
This space for rent.

mephisto_kur

It isn't a fight.  Microsoft, as of the last time I checked, has never submitted them for approval.

And I agree with getting CSS right in IE before adding more crap.
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

Acf

Quote from: mephisto_kur on November 03, 2003, 11:57:58 AM
It isn't a fight.  Microsoft, as of the last time I checked, has never submitted them for approval.

And I agree with getting CSS right in IE before adding more crap.

:-X whats the use talking about this if m$ will not change? (>:( argh kick gates his as!! :P )
Sigh...

Spaceman-Spiff

any rumors when IE7 will be out?
any specifications on this?

i hope they'll also add proper PNG-24 support

[Unknown]

Longhorn..... except the plugin thing, but that's a downgrade.

They aren't going to make an IE 7 for XP.  At least according to them...

-[Unknown]

Peter Duggan

I *hate* coloured scrollbars because I regard the scrollbar as part of the browser and not of the site! Sometimes I don't even notice them because I'm not looking for them, so I'd honestly be quite happy if every coloured scrollbar in existence somehow just spontaneously reverted to the standard sort...

Tyris

QuoteUpgrading the forum...
Don't worry, we will be back shortly with an updated forum. It will only be a minute ;).
nooooo, message looooost

I personally regard the scrollbar as a part of the page.. at least more so than anything else in a browser... especially when they're in frames, or scrollable divs etc... (speaking of which.. IE do scrolling divs so bad!!!)
Some sites just do colored scrollbars really well... make it really fit in nicely. Of course it should be disableable.

[Unknown]

But it's the type of thing that would be a mod for SMF...... see what I mean?

-[Unknown]

Tyris

*is confused* have I missed something..?
colored scroll-bars as a mod...? well its just a template thing ...

sucks that M$ aren't gonna release another IE... I dont see why not... are they just really intent about not complying 100% to the WC3 standards...?
The Longhorn IE (last time I checked in build 4029 I think it was) hasnt really changed much... tho features a supposedly 'dandy' download manager.

[Unknown]

I mean it's a mod-like thing.... not a builtin-like thing.

And, no, it's mainly because they want to spy on us, and that's hard with older OSes.  Since they are building it into both Longhorn and IE, they will work well together..... but not well with other operating systems.

Well, not really spy.  Rather, imagine you download a file and the next day you cannot read it anymore.... or imagine a virus that does this to all your files.  Lovely, huh?  Gotta love rights management.  So clearly thought out - by money and the RIAA :P.

-[Unknown]

mephisto_kur

I don't care about rights management.  No matter what they do to protect the stuff, within seconds of release it gets cracked.  It's like the whole iTunes thing.  People pissed that you can only grab protected AAC files.  But I've had an app that will convert protected AAC files to MP3, Ogg, Wav, even WMA without missing a beat, and it's been able to do it since the first hint of AAC hit the web.

When it comes down to it, copyright protection only incoveniences legit customers.  Pirates and savvy users just get used to an extra step in the copying process.
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal - she was a transdimensional speeder!

[Unknown]

This rights management is different.  The processor does it, at the command of programs and virii.... 2003 has bultin support for some of it, in fact.

-[Unknown]

mephisto_kur

As I said, it doesn't matter.  It will be stripped\cracked\hacked in seconds of release.

Oldiesmann

Why is Microsoft being so stingy with their software? The deal with future versions of internet explorer is that you will not be able to download new versions - you'll have to buy the new operating system to get it...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tyris

which sucks... coz it means we gotta wait till 2006 to get an IE that is remotely better :P

Advertisement: