News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Theme] Simplicity (SMF v1.0.5 - 1.1RC2)

Started by bloc, January 23, 2005, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennis

Thank you again Bloc.  With your update, I no longer see the error messages of: 8: Undefined index: color_change_off

Job well done!  ;)  And thank you for being patient with lot of questions from us :)

-Dennis

charlottezweb

Quote from: Trekkie101 on January 23, 2005, 01:27:23 PM
Brilliant, pure brilliance

LOL, before I read your post, "brilliant" was what I was going to type.

-Jason

bloc

Thanks, dennis and charlottezweb. :)

destalk:  yes , the one-line linktree is intentinal, I just don't fell it looks right with the other option - designwise. As for the problem with size/width...I am thinking of some scheme to turn off the right bar as well in some subtemplates...maybe use divs that float right/left. But I am pretty sure it will be problems with that , at least in IE. The post screen is wide..i will look especially at that..maybe it can be narrowed a bit to make do for the sidebar.

destalk

Quote from: Bloc on February 01, 2005, 11:33:15 AM
Thanks, dennis and charlottezweb. :)

destalk:  yes , the one-line linktree is intentinal, I just don't fell it looks right with the other option - designwise. As for the problem with size/width...I am thinking of some scheme to turn off the right bar as well in some subtemplates...maybe use divs that float right/left. But I am pretty sure it will be problems with that , at least in IE. The post screen is wide..i will look especially at that..maybe it can be narrowed a bit to make do for the sidebar.

I tend to agree with you about the link tree, just wanted to check that it was intentional, or a bug. As for the width issue, I just increased the fixed width to 780px and it works like a dream. It's pretty much perfect now, as far as I'm concerned. Although, what I would like to see is... ;)

destalk

Has anyone tried using Polls? Mine appear all cut off. But I suspect that there isn't really a solution for this, if using the fixed width, as I do.

For example;
http://www.designtalkboard.com/designtalk/index.php/topic,148.0.html

bloc

uhm..I see it. I will see if it can be better laid out.

destalk

Bloc

It's really not a biggie, people hardly use polls on my site, to be honest.

There has generally been an awesome response to the new theme. I feel guilty mentioning all of this, it's an outstanding job overall.

The only other issue that has been raised by a couple of members, is that, with Quick Reply switched on, the jump menu appears before it and a few members have reported saying that they would prefer the jump menu to be after the Quick reply box. Is this easily movable with a  'copy and paste'?

bloc

It is a work in progress, so if there are things that can be improved, they are most welcome. ;) Having it tested on a live forum with members too is a big help!   

Now, I have updated these things:
- Poll. More spacing around questions and results to make it easier to read.
- Post screen is more compact with titles above instead of beside the buttons/boxes, as before. Should make it work properly(not expanding) at narrow widths.
- jumpbox moved under quick-reply.

If you want just these changes, replace Display.template.php and Post.template.php.

CarLBanks

Thanks Bloc for everything. I'm using this theme and each update is simply amazing.

destalk

Quote from: Bloc on February 02, 2005, 08:55:52 PM
It is a work in progress, so if there are things that can be improved, they are most welcome. ;) Having it tested on a live forum with members too is a big help!   

Cool. One of the members sending me comments is a software tester by profession, so he spots absolutely everything. Which is good or bad, depending on how much of a perfectionist you are. (drives me mad - but very useful) ;) He also commented that he thought that the normal 'Reply' link ought to be at the bottom, rather than at the side, as he couldn't find it at first. But I feel that the 'Quick Reply' is the best method of response for this theme (which is how the Guardian do it anyway), so... horses for courses - unless someone really wants to be able to see all the UBB buttons and smileys. Although, then he complained that the Quick Reply comment box was too narrow. No pleasing some people. ;D

Quote from: Bloc on February 02, 2005, 08:55:52 PM
Now, I have updated these things:
- Poll. More spacing around questions and results to make it easier to read.
- Post screen is more compact with titles above instead of beside the buttons/boxes, as before. Should make it work properly(not expanding) at narrow widths.
- jumpbox moved under quick-reply.

If you want just these changes, replace Display.template.php and Post.template.php.

Thanks Bloc, you're a legend.

fermachine

Im having problem just with this theme. I have a mambo integration and all the default and other themes work. However when I click in the home link with the simplicity theme I get this message:

Warning: template_main(SSI.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in d:\easyphp\www\mambo451a\forum\Sources\Load.php(1040) : eval()'d code on line 8

The strange thing is that I can access the admin panel and the other links work. What's happening?

Unknown said to me change line:

require_once('SSI.php');

To:

require_once($GLOBALS['boarddir'] . '/SSI.php');

however how should I type in boarddir just like this:

d:\easyphp\www\mambo451a\forum\

so my line will be like this:
require_once($GLOBALS['d:\easyphp\www\mambo451a\forum'] . '/SSI.php');

Regards
fermachine

[Unknown]

No, I meant it literally.  I didn't mean you should change 'boarddir' to be anything but 'boarddir'...

Of course, that was an example.  I'm sure Bloc will know what I mean ;).

-[Unknown]

bloc

It is as [unknown] says..the path to SSI.php is somehow wrong , so you need to put that very line require_once($GLOBALS['boarddir'] . '/SSI.php'); instead of the simpler one I used. The use of SSI.php is not default in the theme, it was an alternative I posted for someone..but I suspect the error has something to do with Mambo.

The boarddir is an variable so it will be substituted with the real path. ;)

But..does it look alright with Mambo? I mean, if you use it inside Mambo that is..won't it be very "crowded"..?

BTW, the reason all other things work, is because its only called in the BoardIndex file - for use on the forum frontpage.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Bloc on February 04, 2005, 03:36:38 AM
but I suspect the error has something to do with Mambo.

Yes and no.  When using Mambo, the current working directory will be that of Mambo (e.g. /var/www) while the $boarddir will be SMF's path (.e.g. /var/www/forum) - SMF does not change the working directory to $boarddir, but rather leaves it at whatever it was.

This means that the following:

require_once('SSI.php');

Will look for SSI.php in the working directory; or, in other words, in /var/www (in my examples.)  But, it's not there.  Instead, the full path should be qualified, for example:

require_once('/var/www/forum/SSI.php');

But, that only works for my example.  What if your path is /home/bloc/public_html/smf?  If you use $GLOBALS['boarddir'], you'll have the path to SSI.php - because that is the variable that holds it.  This means you can use:

require_once($GLOBALS['boarddir'] . '/SSI.php');

Which will, in my example set up, be equivalent to the second require_once example.

-[Unknown]

bloc

I see. I will update the file with it..its not in the actual theme anyway. Just a posted code/file/hack to allow use of Recent Topics instead of Recent Posts. Its located here.

In fact this is good to know regarding my other project too - since I use the same thing there, but with more use of SSI. ;)

destalk

I don't think that these are 'visual' errors (as in I only notice it in the error logs - I don't think that users are aware of them). But the following type of  errors are constantly being generated by every user. Is this anything to worry about?

8: Undefined index:
File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/BoardIndex.template.php (eval?)
Line: 177

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/MessageIndex.template.php (eval?)
?board=2.0

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/languages/Settings.english.php (eval?)
?action=profile;sa=theme

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/Display.template.php (eval?)

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/default/languages/Login.english.php (eval?)

csoul

Hi

I've just installed Simplicity here: hxxp:cornersoul.com/forums [nonactive] but if you scroll to the footer there's a big shouty error message. Any idea what's wrong?

The code in index.template.php is:

// Show the "Powered by" and "Valid" logos, as well as the copyright.  Remember, the copyright must be somewhere!
        echo ' <br />

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" border="0" align="center" width="100%">
                        <tr>
                                <td valign="middle" align="center" class="smalltext" style="white-space: nowrap;border-top: solid 1px #d0d0d0;">
                                        ', theme_copyright(), '<br />the Bloc Zone | Powered by <a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank">SMF 1.0</a>.<br />
&copy; 2001-2005, <a href="http://www.lewismedia.com/" target="_blank">Lewis Media</a>. All Rights Reserved.
                </span><br /> <b>Simplicity</b> design by <a href="http://www.bloczone.net" target="_blank">Bloc</a> ';
        // Show the load time?
        if ($context['show_load_time'])
                echo '
                <br /><span class="smalltext">', $txt['smf301'], $context['load_time'], $txt['smf302'], $context['load_queries'], $txt['smf302b'], '</span>';
      echo '
                                </td>
                        </tr>
                </table>';

echo '
                </div>';

Any help appreciated.

bloc

What is this all about really :

<td valign="middle" align="center" class="smalltext" style="white-space: nowrap;border-top: solid 1px #d0d0d0;">
                                        ', theme_copyright(), '<br />the Bloc Zone | Powered by <a href="http://www.simplemachines.org/" title="Simple Machines Forum" target="_blank">SMF 1.0</a>.<br />
&copy; 2001-2005, <a href="http://www.lewismedia.com/" target="_blank">Lewis Media</a>. All Rights Reserved.
                </span><br /> <b>Simplicity</b> design by <a href="http://www.bloczone.net" target="_blank">Bloc</a> ';

Have you put in some extra things there..? In my theme file it just says :

<tr>
                                        ', theme_copyright(), '<br /> <b>Simplicity</b> design by <a href="http://www.bloczone.net" target="_blank">Bloc</a>';

No need to add that extra, since it already comes from the theme_copyright(). I dont know why it chokes on your version...but it does repeat itself, maybe thats the cause.

Simply use the original code from the theme and you should be fine.

bloc

Quote from: destalk on February 05, 2005, 08:29:47 AM
I don't think that these are 'visual' errors (as in I only notice it in the error logs - I don't think that users are aware of them). But the following type of errors are constantly being generated by every user. Is this anything to worry about?

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/BoardIndex.template.php (eval?)

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/MessageIndex.template.php (eval?)
?board=2.0

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/languages/Settings.english.php (eval?)
?action=profile;sa=theme

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/simplicity2/Display.template.php (eval?)

File: /home/user/public_html/domain/Themes/default/languages/Login.english.php (eval?)

I am not sure..I haven't got those errors. Do they arrive when using other themes too..? Beside the default one I mean.

csoul

Yes I added the extra after viewing your demo site because the original code is not showing the theme_copyright. I'm using the original code again and it doesn't show: hxxp:cornersoul.com/forums [nonactive]

I'm using SMF v1.0. I'll try upgrading to 1.0.1 to see if it helps.

Quote from: Bloc on February 06, 2005, 08:14:25 AM
What is this all about really :

&copy; 2001-2005, <a href="hxxp:www.lewismedia.com/ [nonactive]" target="_blank">Lewis Media</a>. All Rights Reserved.
                </span><br /> <b>Simplicity</b> design by <a href="hxxp:www.bloczone.net [nonactive]" target="_blank">Bloc</a> ';

Have you put in some extra things there..? In my theme file it just says :

<tr>
                                        ', theme_copyright(), '<br /> <b>Simplicity</b> design by <a href="hxxp:www.bloczone.net [nonactive]" target="_blank">Bloc</a>';

No need to add that extra, since it already comes from the theme_copyright(). I dont know why it chokes on your version...but it does repeat itself, maybe thats the cause.

Simply use the original code from the theme and you should be fine.

Advertisement: