News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Converting from a different host

Started by Lucutious, October 22, 2010, 08:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucutious

Greetings!

We are converting from phpBB on one host to SMF on a different host.  The SMF forum has been setup already.

Since convert.php is modeled to only convert on the same host, are there any other methods I can use to simply provide the old mysql database information and pull everything over, or am I going to have to setup SMF on the old host, convert, then bring the database over?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

In my opinion, it is a bit of a very messy thing to do. You have to connect to the remote database server and make sure that it is connected all the time during the conversion. There could be packages being lost on their way, also the mysql configurations might be different which could affect the conversions. Additionally, you have to pass through the firewall if your host has any. Well it is more like that they would on both the servers and both the servers have to then allow the connections in and out of the servers to do the conversion.

Rather it is much better to convert on the same server and then move the content.

Lucutious

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on October 22, 2010, 08:24:48 PM
In my opinion, it is a bit of a very messy thing to do. You have to connect to the remote database server and make sure that it is connected all the time during the conversion. There could be packages being lost on their way, also the mysql configurations might be different which could affect the conversions. Additionally, you have to pass through the firewall if your host has any. Well it is more like that they would on both the servers and both the servers have to then allow the connections in and out of the servers to do the conversion.

Rather it is much better to convert on the same server and then move the content.

Ugh, that is not what I wanted to hear, but I understand what you are saying.  Thank you, looks like a project for tomorrow as I simply don't want to mess with it tonight.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Well unfortunately, it is not easy. :(

It can be done though, just not as simple as doing the conversion on the same server and then moving.

Advertisement: