News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help Linktree & Missing Breadcrumbs Fix

Started by Deprecated, August 20, 2008, 04:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Link to Mod

Obsolete

ccbtimewiz

Don't quite understand.. didn't it do this already? ???

Deprecated

Quote from: ccbtimewiz on August 21, 2008, 09:37:20 PM
Don't quite understand.. didn't it do this already? ???

Didn't what do what?

ccbtimewiz

The link tree. Didn't it already highlight the part it's on?

OHH! I see now. It adds "HELP" to it. ^^;

Nifty. :)

Deprecated

Oh... Well Help didn't have any linktree. Actually I wonder about the other sections that have no linktrees. It seems to me that this part of the SMF experience is a bit irregular and unpredictable. I wrote the mod mainly to encourage dialog about how the ultimate 2.0 release should appear.

I'm tempted to expand the mod to add the linktree to all sections of SMF, to see what it would look like. I think the linktrees should be there everywhere, and leave it up to the themes how to use them, or to use them at all.

The themes need to either add theme_linktree() to emit the code, or omit it if linktrees are not desired. Or they can process the trees themselves if they want to present the information in a different format.

Deprecated

Damn! I never even thought to check it. Thanks NIBOGO, I'll check it out on my 1.1.5 test forum, and if it works for me too I'll release a version that isn't revision locked. :) Thank you! :)

You guys who help the modders check their mods are very precious. :)

Nibogo

Quote from: Deprecated on August 30, 2008, 10:19:30 PM
Damn! I never even thought to check it. Thanks NIBOGO, I'll check it out on my 1.1.5 test forum, and if it works for me too I'll release a version that isn't revision locked. :) Thank you! :)

no problem , thanks to you for create the mod ;)

Quote from: Deprecated on August 30, 2008, 10:19:30 PM

I agree  :D

Deprecated

This modification has been verified to work properly with both SMF 1.1.6 and SMF 2.0 Beta 4.

The Saviour

Then why does it give an incompatibility error when you try to "Apply Mod"?

Specifically 1.1.6 speaking, of course.

Deprecated

I think that it is quite possible that I have made a mistake. I know this may surprise some people, but I am a mere human being and as such I am prone to human error, as are all such human beings. :)

I'm working on a new version of Help Linktree Fix which will be available either later this evening or by tomorrow morning at the latest. For international users consider that to be 4-16 hours from the present time.  Even as I type I'm putting the finishing touches on the new mod package version.

The new version fixes additional linktree problems introduced in Beta 4 of which some have said, "Where's the missing breadcrumbs?" I've found them and I'm stuffing them back into Beta 4. Although the mod does not affect earlier SMF versions it will be downward compatible.

Please tune back to this channel or put the topic on notification and I will inform everybody when the updated package is available.

Deprecated

Please be advised that I have upgraded this package to not only fix Help's missing linktree but now it also fixes Beta 4's "missing breadcrumbs" problem. Heh, and I had to modify only 13 files to fix that little puppy! ;)

For SMF 2.0 Beta 4 only:

SMF users have pointed out a deterioration in the linktree (nicknamed "breadcrumbs") functionality for Beta 4. The linktree at the bottom of some SMF pages has disappeared. I tracked it down and it turns out to be a Beta 4 "improvement" that has been only partially implemented (all top linktrees will be called from the same line in index.template.php so that themes will need to modify only one line). The unfortunate result was that the lower linktrees disappeared for Beta 4. This mod puts them back.

Important note: You must go to Admin -> Configuration -> Current Theme -> Themes Settings and put a check in the "Enable inline links" checkbox. This setting must be enabled before this modification will work on the lower linktrees. If it is disabled only the upper linktrees will be visible.

X3mE

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

Deprecated

You're welcome! I wouldn't write the mods if user satisfaction wasn't important to me in the first place. You have no idea how much work it took to fix this small thing. I had to edit 13 files in all to make it happen. :)

This mod may be a small thing, but many of us are detail oriented and I want every last detail to be prefect. I know you feel the same way.

X3mE

Quote from: Deprecated on October 19, 2008, 08:05:42 PM
This mod may be a small thing, but many of us are detail oriented and I want every last detail to be prefect. I know you feel the same way.

Absolutely ;)
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is - never try.

My mods:
OS & Browser Detection (1.5 is out!) | Skype Profile Field | GTalk Profile Field | AllCaps Blocker | SMF Syntax Highlighter (Beta) + 2 in development!

Personal websites:
Mobilize.rs (and forum) | Lolmao.info

Advertisement: