Custom Tab

Started by Deprecated, September 17, 2008, 12:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Link to Mod

Obsolete

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

apc73

nice mod, would be better if there was a option to add another tab and have the name showing of the title of the tab when you put the mouse pointer over the tab

Deprecated

I wrote this mod for one of my customers who added FrontPage MU the multi-blogging package to their forum website. I've set the tab label to show BLOGS and the URL forwards to /blogs where FPMU is installed.

apc73 you are welcome to post your suggestion in SMF's Mod Requests board. Custom Tab is already all it wants to be, although I'm considering moving to drop menus in a future mod package. I've written more than a few mods that add menu tabs, and some of my forums are nearing the point where menu bar length becomes a problem.

I like the nice simplicity of a mod that does one thing well, and Custom Tab should fill the need.

Zidnen

i agree, would be great to add more tabs and be able to put the tab where you want it to be.
wrote suggestion here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262772.0

Oddible

This sounds fantastic - don't support you have one that works with 1.1.6?

FireDitto

Second Pass Weyr<br />An AU Pernse RPG<br /><br />SMF 2.0.6 with SP 2.3.5

Deprecated

Quote from: Oddible on September 20, 2008, 10:17:06 PM
This sounds fantastic - don't support you have one that works with 1.1.6?

Please be advised that I have upgraded Custom Tab to be compatible with SMF 1.1.6. The new version 1.1 is available at the mod site.

Now compatible with both SMF 2.0 Beta 4 and SMF 1.1.6. :)

AurielStone

AurielStone

Well, actually... minor snag here.

The installation to 1.1.6 went without a hitch. Afterward, however, it was like the mod was never installed. No tab showed up under Features and Options in order to do anything with it. If it didn't show up on the Packages page, I wouldn't know it was in there.

Please tell me I've just missed something bone basic here. I've been wanting to use this mod under 1.1.6 for a while now.   :)

Thanks!

Deprecated

Yes. You missed the part where it says:

QuoteImportant note: You must first enable either "allow guest access" or "allow member access" before anybody can use your custom tab. The default setting is "no access" and nobody will be able see the tab until you enable access.

(from the readme.txt file and also mentioned on the mod package page at the mod site)

AurielStone

Nope, saw that part (I'm usually pretty good about RTFM), there's just nowhere to enable any such thing. No mod-specific tabs anywhere and nothing in Permissions that points to it.

AurielStone

Okay, I went back through and checked all the file changes manually.

In 1.1.6, the changes to ./Sources/ModSettings.php happened through the Package Manager, but the changes to ./Themes/default/index.template.php and ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php did not. (The install process did not kick out any errors.)

After making those changes manually, there was still no Custom Tab under Features and Options. I noticed that while the 2.0.4 version changes ./Sources/Admin.php, no such analogous change happens in 1.1.6. I wonder if that might not have something to do with the tab not showing up.

As a matter of note, I also installed the mod to 2.0.4 using the package manager. Like the 1.1.6 version, nothing happened. Upon checking the modified files, none of them had any of the mod code in them (even though the Package Manager claimed that the installation had been a success). Upon making the changes manually, the tab showed up under Configuration>Modifications and seems to work perfectly well. 

Great mod in 2.0.4, the install process just seems to be having some hiccups for both versions.

4Kstore

Great mod, work perfect in smf 1.1.6 ;)

Spanish traslation:

$txt['custom_tab_enable_guest_access'] = 'Permitir acceso a invitados:';
$txt['custom_tab_enable_member_access'] = 'Permitir acceso a usuarios:';
$txt['custom_tab_execute_url'] = 'Url a dirigir:';
$txt['custom_tab_label'] = 'Nombre del tag:';
$txt['custom_tab_label_default'] = 'CUSTOM';
$txt['custom_tab_mods_cat'] = 'Custom Tab';
$txt['custom_tab_title']='Custom Tab';

Baiis (!)

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Ravac

Modifications.serbian-utf8.php

$txt['custom_tab_enable_guest_access'] = 'Омогући приступ гостима:';
$txt['custom_tab_enable_member_access'] = 'Омогући приступ члановима:';
$txt['custom_tab_execute_url'] = 'Прилагођени tаб извршaвa URL:';
$txt['custom_tab_label'] = 'Ознака прилагођеног tаб-а:';

Modifications.serbian-utf8.php (Latinic)

$txt['custom_tab_enable_guest_access'] = 'Omogući pristup gostima:';
$txt['custom_tab_enable_member_access'] = 'Omogući pristup članovima:';
$txt['custom_tab_execute_url'] = 'Prilagođeni tab izvršava URL:';
$txt['custom_tab_label'] = 'Оznaka prilagođenog tab-a:';

Modifications.croatian.php

$txt['custom_tab_enable_guest_access'] = 'Omogući pristup gostima:';
$txt['custom_tab_enable_member_access'] = 'Omogući pristup članovima:';
$txt['custom_tab_execute_url'] = 'Prilagođeni tab izvršava URL:';
$txt['custom_tab_label'] = 'Оznaka prilagođenog tab-a:';

The Saviour

I'd really like to see this mod taken further...since the tabs I have now for registered members is getting out of hand.

I'd like to see the drop down menu for the tab in effect, so that I can clean up some of the tabs I currently have and consolidate them in a drop down tab menu.

Keep us posted on your progress my friend...

Until then...I'll keep an eye out.

Millig

I too installed this for 1.1.6 but no tab to customise it showed up in the Features and Options configuration.

The mod only patches the Modifications.english.php file. If you have chosen British English or uft8 then you will need to patch the appropriate file manually.

After that it should be fine.

Deprecated

Quote from: The Saviour on September 26, 2008, 10:42:25 PM
I'd really like to see this mod taken further...since the tabs I have now for registered members is getting out of hand.

I'd like to see the drop down menu for the tab in effect, so that I can clean up some of the tabs I currently have and consolidate them in a drop down tab menu.

Keep us posted on your progress my friend...

Until then...I'll keep an eye out.

I know what you mean. Many of my mod packages add tabs in order to access new features, but there is a practical limit to how many you can add. At best they will start wrapping and form two or more rows, but that is rather ugly.

At some point in the future I'm either going to have to take a vow to add no more tabs, or I'm going to have to look at some kind of drop-down system. Up 'til now I've felt that drop down menus belonged to themes, but maybe there's a non-themed way of adding them to default theme SMF (probably is), or maybe I should start looking at authoring themes (been thinking about it).

Until then don't keep your eye out too far or your optic nerve might get severed. ;)

Deprecated

Quote from: Millig on September 27, 2008, 09:28:50 AM
I too installed this for 1.1.6 but no tab to customise it showed up in the Features and Options configuration.

The mod only patches the Modifications.english.php file. If you have chosen British English or uft8 then you will need to patch the appropriate file manually.

I have added the English UTF-8 language strings, and also Spanish and Spanish UTF-8, and have released a new version 1.11 for Custom Tab. I'm holding off adding the Serbian until I find out if the English UTF-8 and Spanish versions are working okay. I have NO IDEA how you would add both Latinic and regular Serbian to the same file.

At present I have no way of testing the alternate language strings although I might add xuch a means in the future. I hope Custom Tab users who are using English UTF-8 or Spanish will let me know if the strings are working okay. Please provide feedback!!!

sabby

I guess I'm the only one getting this, since no one else seems to encounter and errors, but when I go to install, during the test phase, the test fails to execute on /Themes/default/index.template.php. Any ideas what's wrong?

I'm running 1.1.6 with the following mods:

1. Clickable Avatars
2. Custom Copyright - Removed - Errors
3. Forum Wrapper
4. Image Text Wrap
5. Clear Quote Line
6. Reflecting Avatar
7. Single PM View
8. vBulletin Index Mod
9. Youtube BB Code Mod
10. Remove Quoted Images
11. Archive