News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Custom Tab

Started by Deprecated, September 17, 2008, 12:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

This modification is scheduled for updating within the next few days. Please let me know if you have any issues that I must address.

Arantor

See if you can do it without any file edits of any kind in SMF. It is completely possible in 2.0 since 2.0 RC4 to do so.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Deprecated on January 22, 2014, 08:42:39 PM
This modification is scheduled for updating within the next few days. Please let me know if you have any issues that I must address.
No update :( the only issue should be the possibility to add more than just a single tab :/ and also as Arantor mentioned if you could do it using only hooks would be even better!
Thanks in advance anyway, hope you will reply. :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Deprecated

There is another of my mods called "baker's dozen" that adds as many tabs as you want.

I'll change my mods that were written before the hooks when it suits me, maybe soon, maybe have to wait for 2.1.

Actually I'm running a 2.1 test forum (privaate, couple members) and it looks quite nice. I don't see why I should chase 2.0.this and 2.0.that and waste all the time when 2.1 comes out.

Arantor

Given that the hooks you would need are in both 2.0 and 2.1, that SMF 2.0 can be wildcarded and that you can almost certainly use the same templates... There is no reason why not.

Deprecated

Maybe you can give me some advice. I just wrote a new mod for my own forum, but I'm hesitant to even submit it to the mod squad because it uses the same techniques from back about 2.0.4 or thereabouts. The mod works fine but I'm afraid the mod squad will tell me to use the new hooks, and I just finished a 15 hour work day on other projects. I'd be glad to submit my new mod (a fairly good one) but I think they'll say "use the new hooks" and I'll look at my 10-12 hour days 7 days a week and just say forget it, I don't have time after 12 hours of work to learn SMF's new hooks just to please the mod squad. My new mod works fine and probably compatible without about most SMFs after about 2.0.4 or so.

I guess I'm a glutton for work, but one of my jobs I'm the chief developer on another open source project, and several other jobs involve the possibility of profit, and after 12 hours you can understand my reluctance to do free work when I really wanna crawl in bed with my dog and a book.

So many people just don't understand people like you and I who spend 10+ hours a day writing software. I've known you a long time Arantor and you seem to me to be another 10-12 hour a day worker. I'm retired and I've been doing 10-12 hour days 7 days a week for about the last 4 months now. You can understand my reluctance to just go update 20+ mods to 2.0.9.

The new mod is a good one but I'm not going to jump through hoops and spend 20-30 hours to please everybody that I didn't use the latest hooks. It's 2.0.9 compatible. It's a mod nobody thought of yet.

That is the biggest problem about being a mod author. You don't get much appreciation. All you get is complaints that it doesn't do this or that. With over 1 million downloads I would be well ahead if each user gave me 10 cents, and I might be more interested in keeping my mods up to date.

I'm not exaggerating. Look at my signature and count my downloads. Last time I did it several months ago it was 700K+. It has to be over a million by now. I'd spend more time on SMF if it was more rewarding. I'm not tapped out of ideas, I'm just tapped out of enthusiasm.

Deprecated

I have some killer ideas that are to die for, due to my association with a friend who is into vB, and the mod I have in mind would probably shoot to the top if you are running pictorial forums, but I'd get maybe $50 donations for 2-3 weeks of work to get it past the mod squad and on the download site. I'd do better working for Mac'D or sitting in front of a supermarket with a box and a sorry story. Yeah I'm bitter.

The mod I have in mind, my friend wrote for vB and he's not giving it out, free, paid, nothing. It would be a great mod for SMF and I'd get nothing for writing it.

Arantor

The hooks in their current form have been in SMF since 2010. Time to use them already.

I know what you mean on the appreciation front.

Deprecated

Maybe I should just submit the new mod and see what the mod squad says. I got this other open source project where I'm chief developer and 10,000 members and working 10-12 hours a day 7 days a week, and just too tired to go find out what hooks. I remember the days of TOE TAPPING etc.

My mods work with 2.0.9 including the new one but ...... I'm waiting for 2.1 when I'll review whether I want to bring all my mods up to date.

My open source project is in rough waters at present and I have to bail out that boat before I worry about less urgent problems. The inventor left the project and now I'm chief developer with one co-developer to maintain a very popular FF add-on, 10K members and countless non-members depending on the add-on to work.

10K people plus countless users who never registered in the forum depending on me vs. probably far less at SMF who care what I do or don't do.

margarett

With all due respect for your hard work and contribution to SMF...

You mentioned your 10-12h/day, your chief developer status, the amount of people who depend on your skills, etc, countless times since yesterday (twice just today in this very topic!). Please stop that, it's annoying and makes you look like crying for attention...

Yes, at this point in time the Customization Team will ask you to use MODs whenever possible. It's not in a relation between 2.0.4 - 2.0.9, it's just... evolution, let's call it that way.
And also yes, if necessary you can count on our help to get you there. Of course we won't do it for you but we will get you there.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Deprecated

Well you are welcome to your opinion, I have mine. And I was on the mod squad for a time, I know the drill.

Arantor

And of course it's not like you couldn't, say, use the wiki which tells you what all the hooks in 2.0 are (which I documented, so it's thorough if not beginner-friendl), or even ask for help, but instead play the card of how busy you are and how much effort it is to comply with the rules everyone else has to comply with.

Wait until you build things like a media gallery with pretty URLs - ONLY using hooks. Then come and tell me how difficult your life is.

Deprecated

I barely have time to even read SMF. I'm merging three different versions of a software written by an idiot. When I have spare time I go gnaw on table legs.

I'll appreciate a link to that wiki particularly to the hooks. Until then I'm FOOT TAPPING.

My life isn't difficult at all. It's just that I need 36 hours a day to finish my projects in a reasonable time schedule, particularly with paying customers waiting for delivery (and me not being paid before delivery).

Arantor

Because going to the wiki yourself and searching for "integration hooks" is obviously too much like work. Yes, foot tapping is right, waiting for other people to do things so you don't have to.

Honestly at this point, I should just write hook based versions of all your mods, it'd probably happen quicker even with my massively limited schedule right now.

HRM

Guys sorry for such a late reply but I have a confusion.

I just installed this modification manually on SMS 2.0.11.

Now everything seems fine ans also ran add_default_settings.php.
Everything seems fine and I have the mod in de settings panel.

But what am I supposed to see in the front end?
???
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

Deprecated

There's no need for manual installation. It works fine for 2.0.11. I just added 2.0.11 to the mod listing.

Just un-do whatever you did and use the package manager to install it.

Otherwise I don't understand your question. I don't know what a front end is regarding a forum. You fill in the name of the tab and the URL you want it to go to and it shows up in the tabs across the top of page area.

steve51184

Deprecated

It looks like every other button you have (e.g. Home or Profile) except you pick what word goes on the button.

wedealantiques

What would be great is for the url to have the option to open in a new tab/window.

Deprecated

What would be really great is for every modification to do not only everything the author intended for the modification to do when he wrote it, but also to have the modification do everything every user ever wanted even after the modification was finalized and released by the author.

And although this will not go down well with many, it would be great if the SMF community supported mod package authors with modest donations (I mean like $1 or $5) just to feed the kitty and encourage the mod package author to keep working and improving his works (I have almost 20 packages released now). The problem is that if you don't feed the kitty, it skulks off into the trash cans and dies of starvation and quits meowing. You want the meow but you don't want to feed the cat.

For the record I still write mod packages, but only for my single production website, and my new releases when they happen are the byproduct of mods I needed for myself that I decided to contribute to SMF as a good gesture on my part. I have quit writing mod packages that I have no need for myself.

You will see a few more mod packages from me including some quite good ones, but only when they are ready for prime time.

Advertisement: