News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

"Packages directory or one of the files in it are not writable!"

Started by Pspuser007, October 05, 2008, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumbaar

"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

au8ust

Thank you Rumbaar! It's fixed now. The issue is caused by wrong path due to and was fixed using the repair script.

cezars

Ok i still have that error but no fix i have done 755-777 on al dir temp,source,package and all files and i still get the error how do i fix that?? this sh is geting really f..

Edit the fix was simple make a din in package folder and set  777 mode to  temp directory

jluthman

Quote from: Satioz on October 05, 2008, 09:13:51 AM
Try creating a folder called 'temp' in your 'packages' directory and chmoding it to 0777 as well.

And try to chmoding the sources map to 0777

This fixed the problem for me.  Thank you for the suggestion!

I would advise a temp dir be made via installation or at the very least be more verbose about the error (state Packages/temp must exist and must be writable).

kkattfish

i had this issue today.  i did a complete backup prior to an upgrade i am planning tomorrow. 
after the backup i couldn't use my shoutbox and was getting the error posted here. 
turns out the backup put me over the size limit for my hosted package.  transferred the backup to my desktop, then deleted the backup from my host and i was able to create the temp folder inside of the pacakage directory and all is well. 

pmind

I'm actually having the problem. Sorry for not starting a new thread, but i thought that gathering all the information on the problem in the same thread would not be a bad idea.

1. I made sure my Packages folder was set to 777.
2. My temp folder is created and permissions set to 777.
3. I made sure all my paths were ok with repair_settings.php

When i try to upload any package, i get this error :

Package upload failed due to the following error:
"Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF."

I would be thankful to anyone that helps me fix this annoying problem.

MrPhil

Do not start with 777 permissions. Start with 755, and only if SMF complains that it is unwritable, try 775. If still unwritable, use 777 as a last resort. Many systems ban access to 777 (and 666) as security hazards, because anyone can write to them.

MrMike

It would be a huge help if this error called out the name of the file or directory that isn't writable.

I've been chasing this error for a couple of days now with no luck. I have 3 servers, 2 update fine, the 3rd one can NEVER do it and this generic "something's wrong" message is of no real help.

FYI, yes, everything is chmod'd correctly, owner permissions are set correctly, etc etc etc etc etc.

But it won't *&#$%! work. So sick of this nonsense. :(

MrPhil

Since any file in the Packages directory was likely written already by SMF, most likely it's the Packages directory itself which isn't writable, and/or the temp directory that should be under it. Remember that 777 isn't necessarily writable, if you have security software blocking it.

Add: Always try 755 first, then 775, before going to 777. Some hosts with "unusual" setups may require other permissions, such as 705/707. The whole point is to find permissions which are writable by PHP, which may or may not be running as owner.

MrMike

Quote from: MrPhil on December 19, 2012, 01:06:01 PMSince any file in the Packages directory was likely written already by SMF, most likely it's the Packages directory itself which isn't writable, and/or the temp directory that should be under it.

The Packages directory (and everything in and under it) is fully writable, and has the correct owner and group. I may be wrong but I don't think there's any security software running that would interfere with this.

Sea Mac

Quote from: jluthman on January 29, 2011, 11:43:09 PM
Quote from: Satioz on October 05, 2008, 09:13:51 AM
Try creating a folder called 'temp' in your 'packages' directory and chmoding it to 0777 as well.

And try to chmoding the sources map to 0777

This fixed the problem for me.  Thank you for the suggestion!

I would advise a temp dir be made via installation or at the very least be more verbose about the error (state Packages/temp must exist and must be writable).
I created a folder called 'temp' in my 'packages' directory and set it to 755:
Fixed everything just FINE!!!

Thanks Guys and Gals!

Advertisement: