News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Specs on this server(s)

Started by boogiedown, February 01, 2005, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boogiedown

Just wanted to know the specs on the server(s) that this forum is running on. 

My site is getting killed and cant handle SMF 1.0.1. Ive been having the same problem ever since i took on this client getbig.com. I run a :

- Linux Powerline 2200 + cPanel
  - Monthly Transfer: 700 GB
  - Primary Hard Drive : 80 GB
  - IP Space: 1 IP Address
  - Operating System: RedHat 9.0
  - cPanel 6.0: Unlimited Domain License
  - Processor: Athlon XP 2200
  - Memory: 1 GB

the forum has about 100-200 people on at one time.
i need some help or advise

thanks

[Unknown]

Quote from: stevebor1 on February 01, 2005, 05:50:33 PM
Just wanted to know the specs on the server(s) that this forum is running on.

You're kidding right?  It's just one server, and it runs simplemachines.org and yabbse.org (the second has caused quite it's share of problems.)

QuoteMy site is getting killed and cant handle SMF 1.0.1. Ive been having the same problem ever since i took on this client getbig.com. I run a :

Get big?  Aren't they the one who had "check every time it's displayed" on that caused so much trouble?  I hope they don't have it on again.  How many queries per second do you get?  Common load averages?  MySQL and PHP versions?  Query caching enabled, I hope?

Quote- Linux Powerline 2200 + cPanel
  - Monthly Transfer: 700 GB
  - Primary Hard Drive : 80 GB
  - IP Space: 1 IP Address
  - Operating System: RedHat 9.0
  - cPanel 6.0: Unlimited Domain License
  - Processor: Athlon XP 2200
  - Memory: 1 GB

Our server is worse.  I'm not at all sure, but I'm pretty sure of the CPU and ram...

Red Hat Linux + cPanel
80 gig hard drive (not sure, not a big deal anyway.)
Just one IP, I'm pretty sure.
I think it's Red Hat 8.
No idea what version of cPanel.
Celeron 1700.
512 megs ram.

So, as you can see, your server should be plenty for their forum, even with so many members.  I assume it's dedicated, though... is it?

-[Unknown]

boogiedown

yup. this is the same site getbig.com that did have that "check everytime" enabled, though it hasnt been checked  since.  It is shared on my dedicated server, my other clients are extremely small and dont cause any load.

I have seen anywhere from 7 to 40 queries per second
My common load is around 1.0 but goes up  to 50.0 sometimes- usually everything fails after that.

of course when i go to check the php version, i cant access my server. i think it is a pretty recent, if not the newest version.

Query caching enabled? is that under admin?, ill check when my server is back up.

I dont know, im stumpped. if you can take a look at it, i can pm you my server info and forum info.

Thanks!

php 4.3.9
and mysql 4.0.22

boogiedown

my mem usuage for the server has also been hi lately

Memory Used   84.9 %

and a few times i would have to repair the mysql db for that forum, it would affect all other sites and not allow it to connect.

[Unknown]

Quote from: stevebor1 on February 02, 2005, 11:10:33 AM
My common load is around 1.0 but goes up  to 50.0 sometimes- usually everything fails after that.

That's horrible!  The load averages here only go up to 4.x when sending lots of emails, otherwise they stay under 0.5.

QuoteQuery caching enabled? is that under admin?, ill check when my server is back up.

This is a MySQL server setting; sorry, I had thought you were someone else with your wording, but now I think I remember talking with you.  Anyway, query caching should be enabled - you can find out by going into phpMyAdmin, looking at "server variables", and searching that page for "caching" or "cache".

As for the memory usage, that's normal.  In fact, even higher usage wouldn't be bad; Linux is designed to use all your server's memory to its fullest extent.

-[Unknown]

boogiedown

i know 50.0 is extreme, that usually happens when the db fails or someting is in need of repair.  i would say though lately it fluctuates between .5 to 10.0 and usually sits around 1-2.0

im going to check the mysql setting now

Query statistics: Since its startup, 1,390,080 queries have been sent to the server.
Total      ø per hour      ø per minute      ø per second
1,390,080      70,203.11      1,170.05      19.50

and it does have the query cached
have query cache       YES      YES

boogiedown

[Unknown]

I'm not sure.  That's not far from the number of queries we get here per second, and I know others like Ben_S and dschwab9 have lots too - but without the associated load problems.

Are you using SMTP or sendmail?  Is the box sending off a lot of notification emails?

-[Unknown]

boogiedown

sendmail

dont think there are a lot of notifications

boogiedown

while i was gone i notice my eximstats failing a bunch of times. does this have to do with anything

Bas

Hahahahaha, funny.....we run a very big forum: http://forum.msi.com.tw
on a PIII-800-Xeon with just 512MB ram.....

The trick is the following:

My.cnf

Wait_timeout = 15
Key_buffer=16MB

Then it runs very smooth on even the smallest systems.
We have 500.000 posts and 47.000 users :)

Also, I turned database driven sessions OFF!
And run without persistant connections.

That's it, and it works great......
Only if I where able to figure out the logoff and avatar problem :-\
Greetings Bas.

Advertisement: