News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forum etiquette and behavior

Started by Jeff Lewis, February 03, 2005, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Lewis

I wanted to make a post to remind our users and visitors to the site about forum etiquette and behavior here at Simple Machines. While we try to keep an open mind and we try to keep things lighthearted we do need to keep things in line with the agreement everyone agrees to when signing up here and more specifically this section:

QuoteYou agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International, Canadian, or United States Federal law.

Lately we've seen several post degrading the volunteers here and other users and this is unacceptable. As a result, we will be clamping down on more posts in order to keep the forums more friendly and on a more professional level with fewer personal attacks.

As a result, a few boards will be under discussion as to whether or not they will remain (News and Politics and Jokes for example).

As a general rule of thumb do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you are typing up a response you feel is clever and spiteful, rethink your post.

If you have an issue over our moderation techniques, you are more than welcome to send a private message to myself or David.
Co-Founder of SMF

Adin

Heh ... i'm suprised this only happened just now ... i mean look at how many members this forum has. With that many people there just has to be trouble sooner or later. No good picking on the volunteers, though ::)

scottb

Rules I think we can all agree to follow hopefully.

Adin

In fact we already did agree to them ;) All of us.

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: Adin on February 03, 2005, 03:58:01 PM
Heh ... i'm suprised this only happened just now ...

The SMF community is typically very good and the relationship between team and users is fantastic. Members offer constructive crticism and follow the rules, the team offers a bit more wiggle room.

Unfortunately some have been crossing the line (from mild to not so mild) so I just wanted to remind everyone to have respect for one another :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Source

Dont worry i'll be good. I havent logged in for a while though so haven't seen any fighting. :)

Trekkie101

Sounds cool and I agree the certain team members have been abused. Also I like this community for its non-degradedness

redone

I have not seen a forum yet that doesn't have these rules. It's in everyone's interest that such things are done.

Seems to make perfect sense to me.

:)

alienine

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on February 03, 2005, 03:50:14 PMAs a general rule of thumb do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Does this mean I have to agree with everyone?

In all seriousness though I think honesty but self-restraint are the way to go. I don't mind brutal honesty (whatever its source) but people all too often let things get personal (including myself).

Midgard

Quote from: redone on February 04, 2005, 08:12:47 AM
I have not seen a forum yet that doesn't have these rules. It's in everyone's interest that such things are done.

Seems to make perfect sense to me.

:)

you're right...

Jeff Lewis

Quote from: alienine on February 04, 2005, 09:00:53 AM
In all seriousness though I think honesty but self-restraint are the way to go. I don't mind brutal honesty (whatever its source) but people all too often let things get personal (including myself).

That is because there are several different personality types out there. Some people may take a comment to be nothing much but others may take it very personally. People need to be aware of these differences and respect that we're not at all the same.
Co-Founder of SMF

Amacythe

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on February 04, 2005, 09:26:12 AMPeople need to be aware of these differences and respect that we're not at all the same.

I agree Jeff, but that respect has to go both ways.  People that might take offense need to understand that there are people that are not as tactful or shy about speaking their mind and not be so quick to take offense.

People have different personalities and different beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong to say what you think is right and defend your beliefs.  Just make sure that by defending your own beliefs, you are not insulting the person that doesn't agree.

old dan

Well  it wasn't me. Sorry I missed it. :)
The No One fro President campaign - take back your country.
Discuss political and social issues at The Freedom Exchange Online

lupus

Never unstood anyone who wants to take a pop at someone whose trying to help out...As an Admin on a forum i've been on the recieving end of abush by wayaward users never understoof that either...

Why upset the guy whose board it is, if he wants you gone he'll do it...

As i was always told be nice, you nevr know when the person you've upset is the person you most need help from...

ryanbsoftware

the sad think is this post has to exist, i would think this to be common sense, and that it probably is it's just common sense strangley enough isn't all that common.  :-\

lupus

Quote from: RyanB on March 03, 2005, 02:19:10 AM
the sad think is this post has to exist, i would think this to be common sense, and that it probably is it's just common sense strangley enough isn't all that common.  :-\

You would kinda think so yet Admin's still have to warn, threaten and ban people from forum's...I know the heat of the moment can get people fired up but a lot of people don't thin k before they post...Or take things far too personnal...

host boxx

:: The greatest Forum on earth rocks 24:7 world wide :: Thanks to a lot of great people that deserve thanks. S M F RULES WWW

Bitwiz44

I have had my share of these people with BI-Polar or other Mental diseases. And when you ban them, they threaten to come here (SMF LINK ) and Trash this forum, un-less they 'Un- Banned".

To me, Its a form of "Cyber Terrorism", Let them trash your board or they will click the link at the bottom and trash SMF.

As I have said many times, Our best defense would be if we could ban by CPU ID or Windows ID.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Bitwiz44 on March 06, 2005, 09:03:45 AM
I have had my share of these people with BI-Polar or other Mental diseases. And when you ban them, they threaten to come here (SMF LINK ) and Trash this forum, un-less they 'Un- Banned".

To me, Its a form of "Cyber Terrorism", Let them trash your board or they will click the link at the bottom and trash SMF.

As I have said many times, Our best defense would be if we could ban by CPU ID or Windows ID.

Tell them thye should come here, then the developers could ban them from every copy of SMF ever  :P

rakuli

Quote from: Bitwiz44 on March 06, 2005, 09:03:45 AM

Y?..............................................................................................................................
I can't, not even in a rage comparable to that of a rabbit caught in headlights, see how this could make one feel as though they are accomplishing something? Or in their case "getting even"   :-\ I don't know. I just can't, even thinking from their shoes.

Advertisement: