News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Kindred on April 14, 2014, 07:44:31 AM
Quote from: Nibogo on April 14, 2014, 12:31:59 AM
LOL man. When you purchase the pro version you can ask me for support; otherwise, you should be just happy that I've released a free version and that with some work you should be able to make it work instead of creating the entire mod from the scratch.

Nibogo,

That is uncool.
The mod is allowed to be listed on SMF because it is free.
As the author you are expected to provide support for members here, free of charge.
Now - if he was asking for customization, then saying "I'll customize the paid version or for a fee" is acceptable, but saying "I will only provide support to you if you get the paid version" is not acceptable, here...
If you will not provide support for free, here, then we will remove the mod from the SMF mod site.
Just a thanks for getting my point.
A mod is completely useless if it doesn't work. I have already given my db access to another user that helped me in the past but he couldn't find anything wrong in what i did so if it your mod doesn't work and if you don't even provide support for it, please don't even bother to post it because if you do to a "noob" user like me it only seems that you want to post more messages to increase your post numbers and somehow get more prestige but really you just get negative feedback like that.
If a mod creator doesn't offer anymore support there can be multiple reasons for it: he could have been banned, he could have left support, the mod can (hopefully) be perfect and working like a charm etc but i would have never expected such an answer.
Anyway i am still having troubles with it so if anyone knows anything about it well feel free to help me, i will appreciate it very much.
Thanks again Kindred, i had almost started to be hopeless about being listened.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

mashby

LOL man. When you purchase the pro version you can ask me for support; otherwise, you should be just happy that I've released a free version and that with some work you should be able to make it work instead of creating the entire mod from the scratch.
A mod shouldn't require users to "make it work". It should just work. Sure, there can be issues, and it's possible a member of the support staff or anyone off the street can come to your aid, but YOU posted this mod here and YOU should support it. And sure, that can be on your own time, but if you have a paid mod available, it seems that this version is here on SMF to promote that paid mod. Seems a bit suspect/ingenious to me if you're going to NOT support this free version. I'm of the opinion this mod should be removed from SMF and this topic locked. And possibly all of your other free mods here on SMF.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

LiroyvH

Oh that's interesting to hear and I'm actually very happy to hear it.
You see, when I acquired a pro version of a mod + a theme of yours last week, and it turned out they (without any warning) were 100% incompatible with each other due to alternative coding on your behalf causing the package manager to be clueless (after getting wrong instructions, too.), I got told I should pay extra money to you in order to get any support on it at all or otherwise I should "go make it work yourself ... if you buy a mod: as it always happen with it you must do modifications to make them work ... or pay me to do it for you."
Buy a product from vendor, product doesn't work properly on delivery due to vendor's alternative coding style: vendor says you must either fix the faulty products yourself or pay vendor for a fix rather than vendor providing a fix for their faulty product. Quite the joyful experience...

I guess I can safely assume such support will be provided on the paid versions in the future without demands for more money?
I mean, that's what you're telling this user here now so I have that duly noted for future reference.
No hard feelings really, just making an observation...

Looking forward to the hereby promised support in the future! :)
Or at least, I hope "you can ask me for support" actually doesn't mean "you can ask but have to wait whether you will actually get it or not."
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

GamePersia

Quote from: br360 on April 14, 2014, 11:15:49 AM
Quote from: GamePersia on April 12, 2014, 02:16:20 AM
Previous version that is 104 is best,..
this present version 105 is not showing fancy or say stylish names...
the shoutbox not showing many signs !!
example : σ█ⓛΔⓂ►и◄█σ
it in replace of these signs is only showing ?? ?? ?? ??

Kindly fix this error !!
Is it a bug ??

If the symbols not showing is the only issue, why not just stay with version 104? The only difference between 104 and 105 is that in 105 members can post clickable https links in chat.
Nope,..now 104 version also not showing stylish names with signs "►и◄█"
Kindly Help..
See Attached image/...

br360

Quote from: GamePersia on April 14, 2014, 11:14:46 PM
Kindly Help..
See Attached image/...

Did you make any changes to your shoutbox.php? Can you attach the file?

***Edit- It looks like this may be your problem as this issue has been discussed before- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3632595;topicseen#msg3632595

GamePersia

Quote from: br360 on April 14, 2014, 11:31:43 PM
Kindly Help..
See Attached image/...

***Edit- It looks like this may be your problem as this issue has been discussed before- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3632595;topicseen#msg3632595
Ok bud. i will look that replies and then try to solve the issue !!.. :-*

GamePersia

Quote from: GamePersia on April 14, 2014, 11:54:57 PM
Quote from: br360 on April 14, 2014, 11:31:43 PM
Kindly Help..
See Attached image/...

Ok bud. i will look that replies and then try to solve the issue !!.. :-*
i tried to solve it,..but not able to solve.
i go to PhPMyAdmin>Database>shoutbox, clicked on smf_shoutbox and there it's saying  MySQL returned an empty result set (i.e. zero rows).
Kindly tell step by step how to fix this error !!

Kindred

you were linked to the issue and to the solution

I had to delete and recreate the shoutbox table with the addition of "CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GamePersia

Quote from: Kindred on April 15, 2014, 06:15:46 AM
you were linked to the issue and to the solution

I had to delete and recreate the shoutbox table with the addition of "CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci
If i am an expert like you guys,..i would not ask for the solution !!  :D
check below image and kindly tell how to make "CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci" ???
http://i.imgur.com/outEYxn.jpg
:-* :-*

Kindred

who ever said anything about looking at the CONTENTS of the table?

export the table structure, DELETE the table and then recreate it using the export, but use UTF-8 set and collation.
(seriously you need to stop asking for people to spoon feed you and start doing some research when you are handed the answer)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GamePersia

Quote from: Kindred on April 15, 2014, 07:08:35 AM
who ever said anything about looking at the CONTENTS of the table?

export the table structure, DELETE the table and then recreate it using the export, but use UTF-8 set and collation.
(seriously you need to stop asking for people to spoon feed you and start doing some research when you are handed the answer)
I deleted "smf_shoutbox" and then reuploaded at settings utf-8,..but in uploading there is no option for collation.  :-X

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: mashby on April 14, 2014, 08:54:39 PM
A mod shouldn't require users to "make it work". It should just work. Sure, there can be issues, and it's possible a member of the support staff or anyone off the street can come to your aid, but YOU posted this mod here and YOU should support it. And sure, that can be on your own time, but if you have a paid mod available, it seems that this version is here on SMF to promote that paid mod. Seems a bit suspect/ingenious to me if you're going to NOT support this free version. I'm of the opinion this mod should be removed from SMF and this topic locked. And possibly all of your other free mods here on SMF.
I agree even if i am "newbie-nobody". Peace.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

who said anything about reuploading anything?

The statement was RECREATE the table....  in the export, there would have been a charset and collation specified...
Слaва
Украинi

Nibogo

Quote from: mashby on April 14, 2014, 08:54:39 PM

Please try to install the mod and let me know if you've any issues. I'm pretty sure it's going to work just fine, and you cannot make every author to support each user, you should remove more than 50% then and I really don't think that would be an smart move ;)

I really cannot believe all the reactions over this, I did a free mod and now you think I must support every single guy, install it and everything? My mod here is open source, anyone is free to install, download it, even share it, and as a result I'm free to support whoever I want.

Quote from: CoreISP on April 14, 2014, 10:51:17 PM
Oh that's interesting to hear and I'm actually very happy to hear it.
You see, when I acquired a pro version of a mod + a theme of yours last week, and it turned out they (without any warning) were 100% incompatible with each other due to alternative coding on your behalf causing the package manager to be clueless (after getting wrong instructions, too.), I got told I should pay extra money to you in order to get any support on it at all or otherwise I should "go make it work yourself ... if you buy a mod: as it always happen with it you must do modifications to make them work ... or pay me to do it for you."
Buy a product from vendor, product doesn't work properly on delivery due to vendor's alternative coding style: vendor says you must either fix the faulty products yourself or pay vendor for a fix rather than vendor providing a fix for their faulty product. Quite the joyful experience...

I guess I can safely assume such support will be provided on the paid versions in the future without demands for more money?
I mean, that's what you're telling this user here now so I have that duly noted for future reference.
No hard feelings really, just making an observation...

Looking forward to the hereby promised support in the future! :)
Or at least, I hope "you can ask me for support" actually doesn't mean "you can ask but have to wait whether you will actually get it or not."

I don't do installations of my mods (which is different than support) and if a theme and a mod aren't compatible that doesn't means it's a bug, I just cannot create a package for every combination of mod(s)+theme. I never asked for extra money to get support, I offered the professional installation service which makes me install it in the forum. So you're actually lying there, I don't ask to be paid for support, but I don't offer installation of themes and mods for free neither.

GamePersia

Uninstalled this mod. But it not uninstalls from the configuration list when clicking it a blank page appears.
Moreover it's not uninstalled from General Permissions page,..
kindly help how to remove it from list and Permissions page ?

LiroyvH

I don't do installations of my mods (which is different than support) and if a theme and a mod aren't compatible that doesn't means it's a bug, I just cannot create a package for every combination of mod(s)+theme. I never asked for extra money to get support, I offered the professional installation service which makes me install it in the forum. So you're actually lying there, I don't ask to be paid for support, but I don't offer installation of themes and mods for free neither.

Ah and now i'm a liar. Professional +1.
I didn't ask you to install it, I asked you to fix it.

Here's the bottom line: you sold a mod and a theme. It turned out your products are completely incompatible with each other. That is your mistake, not mine.
Normally, a mod will parse just fine through the package manager and install itself on the theme. You said it yourself "I use a different style". That's fine, but then YOU can go support that style.

If you would tell me "I want to buy a server with cPanel" and I would give you a Windows server + cPanel license: it's not going to work.
According to you, in that scenario YOU should be the one fixing up the cPanel codebase or fix the OS to ensure they *will* work.
Sounds ridiculous? My thoughts exactly... Purely hypothetical of course, because I *would* offer a OS reinstallation to Linux for free. That's customer service.

I never asked you to install the damn thing for me, I merely asked you to ensure that your products actually workr; rather than being faulty and not working properly. Your own products are incompatible with each other, that's already very strange to say the least; but on top of that you don't even provide a warning that they won't work together and that as a client you are forced to pay extra money if you want to get it working.
I paid you for it, you are responsible for it. I, the one paying for it, am certainly not responsible for your faulty products or alternative coding style that causes the mod not to tie in to your other products. You demanded me to pay you to fix your coding in the modification by letting you install it for me. I didnt want that, I simply wanted a mod and theme that worked out of the box; why on earth would I pay for it otherwise?
So: you *did* ask to be paid for support on your products, because you demanded me to let you do the installation (wasn't gonna happen anyway, no one gets access to that server...) and you refused to fix the package. Demanding to be paid for installation whilst refusing to fix the issue: that's the same as demanding to be paid for support.
Besides, I'll repeat: you yourself said *your* coding style was different so the package manager couldnt handle it. Then it's YOU who should provide an extra package that *IS* compatible with your alternative style. Just saying "Nah, I'm not going to provide an extra package because it's your problem: pay me or go fix my products on your own" is extraordinary poor customer service and equals not providing any support at all.

Next to that, when you were contacted about problems with your mod and the admin panel, you decided not to provide any support either and eventually it was Arantor who pointed out the critical flaws in the code that had to be changed in order to get the mod to work...

Your customer service is far from anywhere to be found, and I hope you will learn better how you should treat paying customers in the future.
And not just for your own sake, but more for the sake of your paying clients who expect (or at least: hope) they will get a properly working modification/theme.

Nibogo

The admin issue came with an update of PHP and i did fixed that in a new release, you were installing an old one and that's one it didn't worked, and I was selling you two separated products, not a pack saying that both were working with each other, and providing a package for both would be too damn complicated for both customers (updating mods) and for me as I'd have to maintain a 12c6 (12 mods combinations with 6 themes) that's just not possible and I can remember that I toll you I was going to think in a way to provide compatibility between products but as I toll you there that cannot be done in a day or two.

LiroyvH

1.) No, I was talking about the time there was no other version yet. I had the client submit a ticket directly, and then took over for them. As the provided instructions then completely broke the forum and didn't get a prompt reply in the ticket system anymore, I reached out to Arantor for help. Which he, thankfully, provided!
2.) Not really, I suggested to you that you should be thinking of that as that would be better business. One package for normal themes, one specifically engineered to solely perform the changes to your themes.
You said it was a good idea indeed, but that you were not going to do it anytime soon as it was too much work... In all honesty, that's what you're paid for and as far as I can see: it's not THAT much extra work for you. o0  "Not anytime soon" is not really an indication.
Plus... You could actually have offered to send me a modified version of your theme (with the required changes in there already) whilst you were working on fixing something like that up. ;) After all, you apparently would have had the time to do that if I would have paid you to do the installation, which would have required the same amount of work. :P So yeah... That would have been a way to take responsibility and make a paying customer happy. And you clearly had the time for it.
But no, I ended up paying Yoshi2889 to fix it... The modified version of the theme was delivered to me very fast. Guess it wasn't that much work. Kudos to Yoshi!

Anyway, whatever... I think I've said enough and shared my experience sufficiently.
I hope you take learning from this user feedback and improve your support and business for the future. :)
Should I buy a mod or theme from you again, I hope to run in to a better experience.

Last but not least:
I would like to thank you for acknowledging that the problem indeed exists, and for the apologies that you have sent to me. I appreciate that!

Thanks and good luck improving the packages for a more seamless integration between your products!

-Volpe™.

How can i make my ShoutBox never collapsed?

Actually if user go into my forum he see the shoutbox automatically collapsed, how can i make that guest, like other users, see the shoutbox always not collapsed?

In my settings "Auto Hide" is not set.

Thnx

CedarMill

Nibogo, Hello!
You can add a function to Shoutbox:
Nickname to Reply
?
SMF 2.0.7

Advertisement: