News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

Yes, but the chat doesn't work if there's more than one person in it because of that. It stays as loading forever and makes it completely useless if there is more than one user in the chat at one time (which, is the whole point of having it in the first place). Was that intended, too?
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Nibogo

I though we were talking about the same user with multiple instances of the shoutbox opened. In that case there must be something else affecting, the javascript console could help.

DSystem

Fortytwo

Use this mod for over a year, and is definitely the best chat for SMF

is the only one that uses less server resources. I've used others and had many problems with server overload.

Nibogo

Quote from: DSystem on February 16, 2015, 01:43:37 AM
Fortytwo

is the only one that uses less server resources. I've used others and had many problems with server overload.

Thank you for your kind words! :)

karavan2

Excellent , thank you all for your good news!

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: DSystem on February 16, 2015, 01:43:37 AM
Fortytwo

I'm actually testing a "unofficial" one lost around the forums here and in this respect it works much better (it does not load messages if the same user opens more than one chat, however instead of blocking any window from receiving messages, it refreshes only the most recent instance of it and blocks the rest, I don't see how server load is much different between them, though, others also use that timestamp file refresh to check if it needs to load more messages), but unfortunately some users I have pay a lot of attention to some features in this one, so... :P

@Nibogo: That too, but its any situation where there is more than one window open, and none of the chats will work anymore, which includes different users. It works perfectly if only one user/one window of the chat is open. That problem with the clock image stuck in the corner. I'll install it on a testforum later and send you the link so you can see what I'm talking about.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Fuzzybearbtc

Hello and let me start by saying thank you for your chatbox it has been amazing, my users love it and it really brings the community together and helps us get stuff done in real time with each other so hats off to you for such an awesome mod.

I have recently changed the theme on the forum.  By cloning the current theme and custom editing styles to match our branding and now some (not all but more than just 1 or two) users are getting a popup alert when loading the forum.

Looking through the code we have identified the cause of the alert from the code:

if (Shoutbox.first)
{
// check this first :)
var c = document.getElementById('s'+'h'+'o'+'u'+'t'+'b'+'o'+'x'+'_'+'b'+'a'+'r');
if (!c)
return window.alert('('+'c'+'c'+')'+' '+'S'+'M'+'F'+'P'+'a'+'c'+'k'+'s'+'.'+'c' + 'o' + 'm');

Why is this happening now? is it due to the shoutbox not being able to load for some reason? users are annoyed by the alert so can I remove it? or change it to something like "error loading chatbox please refresh the page" or is this not what is happening?

Ideally I would like to resolve the issue of why the alert is happening so any info on that would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Fuzzybear

Kindred

If you install or create a new theme, you will have to manually install every mod that you have previously installed...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Fuzzybearbtc

Quote from: Kindred on February 22, 2015, 11:22:09 PM
If you install or create a new theme, you will have to manually install every mod that you have previously installed...
Hence why I cloned the current default theme with everything working perfectly on mods etc, now all mods are installed on my new theme?

Quote from: Nibogo on February 23, 2015, 12:09:55 AM
You need to manually modify the theme and adjust the edits done by the mod. It should work fine after that.

I'm not convinced it is the new mod that is causing the error though as some users on the old theme are reporting the issue.  I am a coder but javascript not my speciality just wondering why the error popping up and if its just an error users end or in my forum setup? as I say most users seem fine, just a few experiencing it.

many thanks

Fuzzybear

Fuzzybearbtc

Quote from: Fuzzybearbtc on February 22, 2015, 11:04:46 PM
Hello and let me start by saying thank you for your chatbox it has been amazing, my users love it and it really brings the community together and helps us get stuff done in real time with each other so hats off to you for such an awesome mod.

I have recently changed the theme on the forum.  By cloning the current theme and custom editing styles to match our branding and now some (not all but more than just 1 or two) users are getting a popup alert when loading the forum.

Looking through the code we have identified the cause of the alert from the code:

if (Shoutbox.first)
{
// check this first :)
var c = document.getElementById('s'+'h'+'o'+'u'+'t'+'b'+'o'+'x'+'_'+'b'+'a'+'r');
if (!c)
return window.alert('('+'c'+'c'+')'+' '+'S'+'M'+'F'+'P'+'a'+'c'+'k'+'s'+'.'+'c' + 'o' + 'm');

Why is this happening now? is it due to the shoutbox not being able to load for some reason? users are annoyed by the alert so can I remove it? or change it to something like "error loading chatbox please refresh the page" or is this not what is happening?

Ideally I would like to resolve the issue of why the alert is happening so any info on that would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Fuzzybear
Further feedback from users say that it is not due to the new theme and some have experienced for the last 6 months or so.

Closer inspection showed I was running 1.0.4 version.. I have now updated to 1.0.5 so will see if users still experience the problem.

Still love the shoutbox :)

Fuzzybear

Darkness_Black

Great Mod parabens.
I wonder where I include additional smyles?
And how do I get shout appear on every page?

Translator - Brazilian

Não respondo MP de ajuda, Poste sua duvida no forum!!! Se alguém te Ajudou Agradeça!!!

karavan2

Quote from: Darkness_Black on February 27, 2015, 08:39:59 AM
I wonder where I include additional smyles?
Yes, below there is a button "more" for their inclusion.

Quote from: Darkness_Black on February 27, 2015, 08:39:59 AMAnd how do I get shout appear on every page?
No, it is impossible.

br360

No, it is impossible.

It's not impossible to have shout on every page- just have to add the action in the shoutbox settings. Look for "Pages where Shoutbox will be printed" and add these-

boardindex
messageindex
unreadtopics
display
memberlist
collapsecategory
showhelp
messagemain
who

karavan2

br360 Thank you for the interesting information.

Fuzzybearbtc

Quote from: Nibogo on February 23, 2015, 11:01:42 PM
Do you've the url of the forum?

Sorry for the late reply, Forum is hxxp:www.peercointalk.org/ [nonactive]

many thanks

Fuzzybear

crazyearner

How do you get the shotbox to show to guests but not allowed to post content ?

DragoN_PT

That would be on Permissions. Check your Admin tabs and look for it.

Advertisement: