News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

br360

Should just be this edit. In your Sunset theme's /Themes/default/index.template.php

Find-

}

function template_body_below()
{

Add this before-

//SMFPacks Shoutbox -->
if (function_exists('template_shoutbox')) template_shoutbox('main');
// <-- SMFPacks Shoutbox

debiwebi

Quote from: br360 on May 17, 2015, 07:35:58 PM
Should just be this edit. In your Sunset theme's /Themes/default/index.template.php

Thanks, Sunset does not have the folders /Themes/default/ .  index.template.php is just sitting in the Sunset folder. See below. I did edit the file as you instructed (and double-checked to be sure I did it right) but the Shoutbox is not showing for that theme.
Some mornings it just isn't worth
chewing through the leather straps.
~Emo

Unlimited Own Posts Editing Time

br360

Oops, sorry. I meant to say the index.template.php in the sunset theme, not default.

Did you add the edit to the sunset theme's index.template.php?

debiwebi

Quote from: br360 on May 17, 2015, 09:27:25 PM
I meant to say the index.template.php in the sunset theme, not default.

Yes, that's the one I edited, the one in the Sunset Theme. But nothing has changed, it's not showing up. What do I do to show that to you -- more screen captures? Or is there something else I can do? I did make some CSS changes to the theme, but I wouldn't think that would affect anything. Just background colors. Nothing structural.
~Emo

br360

Yeah, css. wouldn't really affect it. You can either go through all the edits of the mod to make sure they are in the sunset theme's files, or you can try to uninstall the mod, and then reinstall it making sure that you check all your current themes to have the mod install on those.

debiwebi

Okay, thank you. I'll figure out which way I want to approach that and will probably do it in the morning. I'll update to let you know what happens one way or the other.  :)
~Emo

br360

Sure. Just for the record, I instealled shoutbox 1.0.5 on a test site, and then I installed the Sunset 2.0 theme. Shout didn't show on that theme when it was installed, but I added the edit I posted a few posts up in my sunset's index.template.php, and it worked-

Check your sunset theme's index.template.php again, just to make sure you added the code in the right place (or you can attach it here if you would like)

shpl

Hi, I have a problem with shoutbox on my forum - after backup my shoutbox stoped work. It doesn't show any messages
Can anyone help me ?

Steve

Quote from: shpl on May 18, 2015, 07:02:50 AM
Hi, I have a problem with shoutbox on my forum - after backup my shoutbox stoped work. It doesn't show any messages
Can anyone help me ?

Something else had to have occurred to cause this. A mod change, file edit, something. Simply doing a backup wouldn't change anything.
DO NOT pm me for support!

shpl

We have shoutbox 1.0.4 and I instaled 1.0.5 today but it doesn't work. It is still empty message box and when I try to send message there is only clock icon for a second but text is not shown

We lost some posts from forum because we did backup automatically saved by our hosting from somedays ago
after it our packages didn't work so we installed it again (but from the sames old files that still were on our server) + almost all avatars of our users disappeared

debiwebi

Quote from: br360 on May 17, 2015, 09:50:16 PM
Sure. Just for the record, I instealled shoutbox 1.0.5 on a test site, and then I installed the Sunset 2.0 theme. Shout didn't show on that theme when it was installed, but I added the edit I posted a few posts up in my sunset's index.template.php, and it worked-

OMG I figured it out!

This morning I decided to do this on a test site, rather than my active one. I installed Sunset and then installed Shoutbox. I've been really busy since then (hours), but swear I was able to get it to upgrade my theme on install. And it's working on the test site, in Sunset.

So, on my live forum I deleted and reinstalled Shoutbox. It gave me the install error. I then edited index.template.php but it was still not working. I compared index.template.php from the test site and with the one I'd just edited, and noticed that a bracket was out of place. The one that is on line 218 was actually on 215, between theme_linktree(); and //SMFPacks... Not being a coder, I don't understand what half this stuff does, so I'm glad I had the test site. Although, I was about to attach a copy of the file for you and you would have noticed it right away. 

I moved the bracket, uploaded the file and it's working! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! Thank you SO much for your help. Oh, and did I tell you I'm happy?

Quote from: br360 on May 17, 2015, 09:50:16 PM
Check your sunset theme's index.template.php again, just to make sure you added the code in the right place (or you can attach it here if you would like)

Smart!
~Emo

br360

Quote from: debiwebi on May 18, 2015, 04:36:33 PM
Not being a coder, I don't understand what half this stuff does, so I'm glad I had the test site. Although, I was about to attach a copy of the file for you and you would have noticed it right away. 

I moved the bracket, uploaded the file and it's working! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY! Thank you SO much for your help. Oh, and did I tell you I'm happy?

Glad you got it working. I'm far from a coder myself, I have just installed this mod probably fifty times on various sites, so I feel pretty comfortable knowing where the edits all have to go. lol

Test sites are great learning tools as well, as you can practice moving code around, and learning what they actually do and why they are added specifically where they are.

Gordin

I've read through the majority of posts and have yet to find anything which I understand that could be of some use to me.

I have recently installed SMF onto my site alongside TinyPortal so as to use the site as a clan page. Unfortunately I've little to no experience in coding what so ever and this is the first time I've used SMF.

The site is house-godwin.eu [nofollow] and the site I'm using is Blue Sky. I have recently installed the shoutbox package, however it only displays on the forum page of the site.

What I would like to know is, is it at all possible to have the the shoutbox displayed on the home page and if so, how?

I'm running on SMF 2.0.10 and using the latest version of the shoutbox package.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Gordin

Could you possibly go into a little more detail as to how and where that would be done?

soundlizard

I have read through this entire thread, and seen the question posted by others and addressed a couple of times, but either the answer was not uncovered, or i just overlooked it.

i have enabled guest permissions to see the shoutbox, but it always shows as collapsed by default for them. is there a workaround for this so that the shoutbox is expanded for guests by default?

thanks in advance for any assistance!

Steve

You read 52 pages? :o

I did a search of this thread for 'collapsed' and 'guests' and you didn't miss the answer. It was asked several times and ignored each time.

The only other thing I can suggest if the mod author doesn't want to answer here (which he's supposed to do) is to go to this page and scroll down to see how to get support from SMFPacks:

http://www.smfpacks.com/shoutboxmod
DO NOT pm me for support!

Nibogo

Quote from: soundlizard on June 29, 2015, 08:24:56 AM
I have read through this entire thread, and seen the question posted by others and addressed a couple of times, but either the answer was not uncovered, or i just overlooked it.

i have enabled guest permissions to see the shoutbox, but it always shows as collapsed by default for them. is there a workaround for this so that the shoutbox is expanded for guests by default?

thanks in advance for any assistance!

That was how it was designed at beginning, currently there isn't a way to change that without changing code.

brynn

Wow, I had given up!  Apparently right after my last reply (post # 2496) the author agreed to provide some support.

So I would like to ask once again if someone can help with the problem I described and attempted to troublshoot in posts #2488 through 2493?

Briefly.  Originally, I heard the audio alert when new shouts are posted.  But it stopped happening and I can't figure out what's causing the problem, or how to fix it.  Once, the alert returned and I could hear it when new shouts were posted, but then it disappeared again.  It's a real puzzler!

Thanks for any ideas  :)

Advertisement: