News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Volpe™.

Quote from: -Volpe™. on April 16, 2014, 06:22:08 AM
How can i make my ShoutBox never collapsed?

Actually if user go into my forum he see the shoutbox automatically collapsed, how can i make that guest, like other users, see the shoutbox always not collapsed?

In my settings "Auto Hide" is not set.

Thnx

Up

SES

Hi,

I just installed this mod, but i have the problem, that is doesn't show umlaute / mutations like ä ö ü.
I'm using the german language pack, ISO-8859-1...
How to fix this?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Pay and he will answer, maybe XD
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Nibogo,

Let's try this one more time and don't be ingenuous.

1- yes, there are abandoned mods. That has nothing to do with what has been said in this thread.

2- A user asked for support (Flavio, not GamePersia) - specifically http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=269091.msg3685604#msg3685604
This is a valid issue - to which you responded
Quote from: Nibogo on April 14, 2014, 12:31:59 AM
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on April 13, 2014, 04:42:13 PM
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on April 12, 2014, 12:38:16 PM
You all smart people managing to install it succesfully you may help people like me having troubles and spending weeks asking for help? Maybe?
Did you really ignore me all of you? 2 "smf heroes" also? Really? Wow as i see not every hero is as kind as "Margarett" who supported me in another post solving me a really bad problem in no-time.
Why do you even have karma off? Stupid thing.

LOL man. When you purchase the pro version you can ask me for support; otherwise, you should be just happy that I've released a free version and that with some work you should be able to make it work instead of creating the entire mod from the scratch.

So yes... maybe his comment was a little out of line... but your response crossed the line.

YES - we allow "lite" versions of mods which have a paid version, sold elsewhere.
However, one caveat is that, if the mod is distributed on the SMF site, it is expected that valid requests for support will be supported (for free)

We can't (and have never tried to) insist that a mod author provide support to every user - we CAN, however, request that authors who are present (and the mod not abandoned) do try to provide support to valid user issues.

Telling users that, in order to receive support, they have to purchase your paid version means that you are attempting to use simplemachines.org as nothing more than your advertising platform.
Doing this with the paid-for advert boxes is fine...   doing it for free, at the expense of the users and the SMF reputation is not fine.

So, you have an option (and this is completely YOUR decision, so don't try to pass the buck or blame any one else)
either provide at least a basic level of FREE support for folks who want to run your FREE mod
or we will have to remove the free version from our site - since you are apparently solely interested in using it to force users to purchase the paid version.

You are excessive in your advertising of your paid mods all over the site... So, consider this your final warning.
If you can not or will not provide basic support the free mods that you have listed here (for free), we will remove them. Additionally, your excessive "pushing" of your paid mods to anyone who is even looking for something close has exceeded good taste. That will also stop.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nibogo

Quote from: Kindred on April 25, 2014, 04:38:40 PM
So yes... maybe his comment was a little out of line... but your response crossed the line.

Really? He argues that me and another team member are both useless, and I crossed the line? Of course!

YES - we allow "lite" versions of mods which have a paid version, sold elsewhere.
However, one caveat is that, if the mod is distributed on the SMF site, it is expected that valid requests for support will be supported (for free)

It's expected not required.

We can't (and have never tried to) insist that a mod author provide support to every user - we CAN, however, request that authors who are present (and the mod not abandoned) do try to provide support to valid user issues.

Sure you can request anything, that doesn't mean we have to; however, if you are expecting to start DEMANDING active support from authors then be ready to remove a lot, really A LOT,  of mods that are working just fine for most users, but with authors that don't have time to support them all day and night.

Telling users that, in order to receive support, they have to purchase your paid version means that you are attempting to use simplemachines.org as nothing more than your advertising platform.
Doing this with the paid-for advert boxes is fine...   doing it for free, at the expense of the users and the SMF reputation is not fine.

No, what I was trying to say is that if he is going to demand (not ask) support in such a way I'll reply only if he actually paid for it, I won't support anyone coming with that attitude. As I said this is a free mod, users are free to download it and install it, I'm free to ignore whoever I want too ;)

So, you have an option (and this is completely YOUR decision, so don't try to pass the buck or blame any one else)
either provide at least a basic level of FREE support for folks who want to run your FREE mod
or we will have to remove the free version from our site - since you are apparently solely interested in using it to force users to purchase the paid version.

I'll support when I have time and want, not when some user like Flavio come here demanding me to do things for him, and that won't change anytime soon. If that doesn't work for you, then close this topic and redirect to SMFPacks.com (just like SimpleDesk) where only me (and maybe a few others) can support when is possible (which is going to annoy most users but it would be the only way to solve your demands). And the pro version came last month, so I don't really think I've this mod over here to make it advertisement as it has been here for years and for free.

br360

Coming from just an average typical user here, I would hope that this mod doesn't get pulled. Sure, it would be great if the author was more active and able to answer member questions and issues, but I'm honestly just happy that mods like these are available to begin with.

I have been a member here for close to two years, and in that time I have downloaded at least a couple hundred different mods on various test forums, just to play with them and see if they were something I would like to use on my main forum. Of those mods, it seems that support has been abandoned by the authors in the majority of them. There are plenty of support questions that either go unanswered completely or fortunately another member that uses the mod is able to lend a helping hand.

Not complaining about this, as life happens; and it would be unrealistic to think that a mod author would be willing to lend support years after it was created. The fact that this mod has been here for close to 6 years and is still at the very least semi- supported, is something that as a regular user I can live with. In fact, of all the chat mods out there for smf, this is only one of a couple that has even had the author respond to it in the last year. At least it's something.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Nibogo on April 26, 2014, 12:35:00 AM

Really? He argues that me and another team member are both useless, and I crossed the line? Of course!
I'm not the law here and i'm sure Kindred will reply to the rest of your topic because there is much to reply (i'm pretty sure he will do that and that his word counts much more than mine as he is an admin and i am just a new user) but as you named me i said this:
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on April 13, 2014, 04:42:13 PM
Did you really ignore me all of you? 2 "smf heroes" also? Really? Wow as i see not every hero is as kind as "Margarett" who supported me in another post solving me a really bad problem in no-time.
Why do you even have karma off? Stupid thing.
And not
Quote from: Nibogo on April 26, 2014, 12:35:00 AMuseless
this.
So please read again before telling me i said something i actually didn't. And yes sorry if i have been just a bit unkind.. Well in the forum i used to be if some "forum team" member tried to ignore and (not)supporting like some people did, he would have been kicked out of support team straightaway.

Going to sleep and waiting for kindred's reply, i thank you in advance for clearing things out a bit, i appreciate it. And no i'm not just saying that to be some sort of a kid being kind to you to get favours or look cooler to you or anything, i say that because i see you have almost 40k posts so you must have seen this whole system growing and i'm glad you are still here to support people. I miss arantor so much, i have some of his mods installed (updated by other people sometimes) and they are just awesome... I don't even know him, not even on this forum and i miss him >.< that's how important he was and has been. And still is because of what he did. You might think i'm off topic but i'm not, this is about smf's community and behaviours in it so it's strictly related to the latest messages in this topic.

@br360 You might take a look at THIS before saying some of the things you said ;)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

br360

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on April 26, 2014, 01:22:15 AM

@br360 You might take a look at THIS before saying some of the things you said ;)

I think that link you posted actually helped prove my point. That mod was added to smf back in 2010, but no longer even exists here. The last post in that mod thread was back in 2010, and the last time the member who created the mod lent support of it on any post was almost 6 months ago. I downloaded it to test it out, but if I have an issue or need support, where on smf can I post about it- considering the mod is no longer here?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: br360 on April 26, 2014, 01:55:26 AM
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on April 26, 2014, 01:22:15 AM

I think that link you posted actually helped prove my point. That mod was added to smf back in 2010, but no longer even exists here. The last post in that mod thread was back in 2010, and the last time the member who created the mod lent support of it on any post was almost 6 months ago. I downloaded it to test it out, but if I have an issue or need support, where on smf can I post about it- considering the mod is no longer here?
The mod actually works man and you totally wrong about the dates because that topic has been created in 2013 and supported until the ending of the same year. The mod works anyhow i already tried it. Last message by other users except me has been on December 31, 2013, 06:38:00 pm »
Anyway i am waiting for Kindred's reply i am a lot curious about that.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Nibogo

If you like that mod so much why are you using mine instead? And I totally agree with br360, closing this and other mods just because we don't have enough time would be the worst move that Kindred could do.

-Volpe™.

Quote from: -Volpe™. on April 18, 2014, 06:10:15 AM
Quote from: -Volpe™. on April 16, 2014, 06:22:08 AM

Actually if user go into my forum he see the shoutbox automatically collapsed, how can i make that guest, like other users, see the shoutbox always not collapsed?

Thnx

Up

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Nibogo on April 26, 2014, 11:25:39 AM
If you like that mod so much why are you using mine instead? And I totally agree with br360, closing this and other mods just because we don't have enough time would be the worst move that Kindred could do.
Because yours is the only real "Shoutbox" and not a talkbox, they are slightly different. And also because that one returns an error as regards smiley's javascript.

Quote from: Nibogo on April 26, 2014, 11:41:14 AM
Hey Kindred, you could start removing:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=286932.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=154997.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=265063.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=200401.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=312474.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=262164.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=29619.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=278227.0

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=257973.0

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1877

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=965

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1547

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1559

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1619

They are no longer supported by the authors over here :)
You are badly missing the point. Hopefully kindred will explain that to you because i tried hard to explain why you are wrong but i was unable to, so i think i won't say anything else, at least as long as i don't see another needed admin reply below these ones.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Nibogo,

Let's try this one more time and don't be ingenuous.

1- yes, there are abandoned mods. That has nothing to do with what has been said in this thread.

And I see that you are apparently incapable of attending to the actual issue, rather trying to cloud the air with unrelated flak.

No one in those threads has ever said to a user "I won't support you unless you pay me for the "pro" version of my mod."
Nor did those mod authors SPAM every mod request thread with an advertisement for their paid mods.

THAT is the issue at hand here...   and THAT is what you have been called on.
If you had actually abandoned the mod, then you wouldn't be here, pimping your paid services.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Nayabinghi93

Quote from: Nibogo on April 26, 2014, 05:30:26 PM
Ok if that's your point then lets say that this mod is abandoned and that I won't provide anymore support here (as the authors of those mods I listed). Happy?

So, if your mod is abandoned then the premium version of it too, then excuse me but stop MoneyGrabbing :)

- Nayabinghi93 (Flavio93Zena's collegue :) )

Kindred

If you are here pumping your paid mods, then obviously it is not abandoned.

If you wish to abandon it, then fine..   Stop advertising your paid mods as well
Слaва
Украинi

Nayabinghi93

Quote from: Kindred on April 26, 2014, 09:22:13 PM
If you are here pumping your paid mods, then obviously it is not abandoned.

If you wish to abandon it, then fine..   Stop advertising your paid mods as well

Nibogo my logic has no sense? I was meaning perfectly what Kindred just wrote. SMF Staff worked on this community years long, I know I'm new here, but I don't see anywhere a post from the staff that says "we don't support normal users, if you want buy premium so we will support!". It would be incredible, wouldn't it? :) ... We all have to thank thousand times this guys are working here. In a community like this one, we have to grown up together, and not alone, so supporting people is a part of it, what I've done in a fps game forum too, when I was a gamesage. If you like earning money through smf, the smallest thing you could do for "recharging" smf, is supporting the users that uses the smf mods. The users after trying your free product will buy your premium version, if the mod perfectly works. Best regards to smf, and nibogo too, hoping you'll take what I wrote like a "tip" and not like an insult..

-Volpe™.

Thnx

Advertisement: