SMFPacks.com Shoutbox

Started by Nibogo, October 19, 2008, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Steve on July 20, 2014, 05:52:32 PM
Edit: I forgot I was in a mod thread so maybe the author has an idea ...
He has but he is not providing support for this mod nor for any of his free mods. Also I think that resizing them would be your best bet or either resize the whole shoutbox default font from the admin settings :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

JoeBrodsky

I must be missing something really easy, where do I change the size of the font for my website? lol

Ninja ZX-10RR

You don't need to change THAT. You need to change the font of the SHOUTBOX, like I said :)
BUT, as I'm not publicly supporting this MOD nor I have to or I should be supposed to I would just PM you the solution :) expect a PM in 5 minutes.
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

@Flavio, why not post the solution so that others can eventually find it, should someone else have the same issue?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

Because the mod author is not supporting the mod, additionally as he has been extremely rude to me despite the fact that I have translated the whole mod into the Italian language I kindly refuse to support this mod in public, like this I can support USERS and not the mod itself. :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

margarett

Can't say I agree with that perspective but OK, it's your call to make ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

Check also Kindred's (and CoreISP's) messages before these, you will understand my point :)

Additionally it's the first and only time that I support exclusively in private for something, imagine the way I feel about it if I am willing to do such a thing :P

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

miDnIghtEr20C

Anyone else ever have the chat, when there's lot's of chat going on, freeze up and make your site die for a few seconds?  Seems this chat is causing my site to have problems when people are typing and entering their messages quickly.

Any fix for this?

br360

Chat and shoutboxes can be resource heavy. Have you tried increasing the update time so that it doesn't try to refresh so frequently?

Ninja ZX-10RR

I suggest you to install this one --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=391961.0 and tell your users to talk privately. This mod is not meant to be a place in which everyone can spam XD it *will* eventually freeze your site because that means that your server is at 100% or is trying to limit the amount of resources it is employing to handle it.
Consider also tuning the heartbeat of the Shoutbox itself to higher values (more time between updates means lower server load).
EDIT: ninja'd about update time.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Steve

What do you guys use/recommend for update frequency?
DO NOT pm me for support!

Ninja ZX-10RR

Depends on how many people you have on the server, that value may vary a lot. If you see your site doing like miDnIghtEr20C's one then it's time to increase it ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Nibogo

Quote from: Steve on July 23, 2014, 08:29:01 AM
What do you guys use/recommend for update frequency?

You can use 8000, that should work just fine for most websites and it still allows a perfect conversation between all your members. If you just find it too aggressive for your website you can increase it a little bit, if your community is huge you may want to get a better hosting as an alternative.

Steve

Cool, thanks. As my site is pretty small it should do nicely. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

miDnIghtEr20C

Quote from: br360 on July 23, 2014, 01:06:14 AM
Chat and shoutboxes can be resource heavy. Have you tried increasing the update time so that it doesn't try to refresh so frequently?
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on July 23, 2014, 01:06:42 AM
I suggest you to install this one --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=391961.0 and tell your users to talk privately. This mod is not meant to be a place in which everyone can spam XD it *will* eventually freeze your site because that means that your server is at 100% or is trying to limit the amount of resources it is employing to handle it.
Consider also tuning the heartbeat of the Shoutbox itself to higher values (more time between updates means lower server load).
EDIT: ninja'd about update time.
Thanks guys.  I'll check out that link, and ya I upped the time but maybe I can and should go higher!  I'll look into right now.   Thanks again for the responses.

I'd like to add and no disrespect to anyone who made this mod.. good mod... but I never had this type trouble with the ajax chat.  Just now that I've moved my site over to the 2.0's now.. that mod doesn't work with my site anymore.   

Arantor

If you look through the topic for AJAX Chat, someone did at some point post a version that does work on current 2.0.

Ninja ZX-10RR

It was EffinToast, and when I looked for it last time I failed to find it xD that mod never got approved but it works correctly as I tried it and I have it instaled on my forum (disabled though).

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

miDnIghtEr20C

Looks like I'm on a hunt then someday when less lazy!   :P

JayMayer

Hi,

I've just installed the shoutbox mod on SMF 2.0.8 using the package manager and downloaded zip. The installation was successful, but the shoutbox is only visible to administrators, not moderators or users. Is there anything that could cause this?

Many thanks,
Jay Mayer.

Advertisement: