News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Bakers Dozen Pages

Started by Deprecated, October 31, 2008, 11:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deprecated

Sorry, I can't answer that. :D

Lady Night Owl

I love this mod, but why is my content being pushed down?

I'm using tables - is that the problem? And yes, all HTML is enclosed with the bbCode tags.

I have it enabled for guests (for now) if you want to take a looksie - it's under "Guides"

ETA: Guess I can't use tables. :\
Running SMF 2.0.1

Deprecated

I don't know what content being pushed down that is, but I'm imagining a mental picture of that, and I'd say that your forum's width causes your content to be compressed, and the only way it can expand is downwards (unless you expand your browser window.

You must have removed the guest enable but I'm happy to see that you are using my Rules mod. :)

medalta

Is this the best Mod available for adding a custom FAQ section? Is there something better or different available. I have been looking for a few days and haven't come across anything

I am in the process of setting up a forum for our society A.K.A. the Historic Clay District. I have been looking for the best method of adding a FAQ section to relate how best to utilize the forum. Basically a good percentage of what is found in the Help Menu but I think a FAQ section in addition to the Help section will cut down peoples issues and questions. I am wrong here or is the right way to go.

lax.slash

Deprecated

Medalta:

This mod is more or less the Help section but with pages that you can customize for whatever you want. If your FAQ will fit in a dozen or so pages (or less) and if the page organization suits you, then it could be a good choice. It's up to you to decide.

I do believe the ability to include HTML (or BBCodes) makes it very flexible, as does the ability to change the name of the tab and the titles of the pages.

I searched our Mod Site to see if I could find anything else suitable but didn't see anything. I suggest you have a look there, and if you can't find anything more suitable then give my Dozen Pages a try. :)

medalta

Deprecated:

I noticed on several vBulletin sites that they seem to have a generic setup for a FAQ section by the fact they all have the same content. Baker's Dozen looks neater and better organized so I think I will just use it as long as you are OK with me doing so.  I will include a link back to the original mod somewhere in the content.

B.T.W. I had a look at a few of your other mods, thanks for doing this kind of stuff for people like me, your efforts make this a much more pleasant experience.  :D

Larry

Deprecated

Could you please explain again what you are doing?

I want to make it clear that it is absolutely NOT OKAY for you to rewrite or redistribute my modification!

It is intended for you to install it on your own SMF forum and to use it. You can modify it for your own use, it is NOT okay to redistribute it particularly if you have modified it.

kizer

Thats what I did I called it the - FAQS - section.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/forum/index.php?action=pages

I'm using it just like it is and adding content to it. ;)
Own a Jeep? Links4Jeeps.com

medalta

Whoa, I have no intention of modifying your mod. I wouldn't even if I knew how. I had to reread what I posted to see what you were referring to, when I said "Original Mod" I meant in the context of a Rule Mod and not as I want to use it for a FAQ section.

As to linking back to the mod, what I intended was to link to the community board here to the Bakers Dozen thread or possibly the Mods section if people were interested in where it came from in said FAQ section.

Please don't think I was in any way trying to take away from what you have done or take ANY credit for your work. Sorry if I wasn't clear on this.

Basically I will do it any way you think best.

Larry

Deprecated

Oh, okay, then I misunderstood you. :) Sorry about that. :)

Just install the mod on your forum and enjoy it. I don't need any credit for that!

Please, just install it and use it on your forum. I get quite enough reward from knowing that my work has benefited so many forums and their members! :)

medalta

No worries . . . but you scared me there for a sec.  :o

I will most definitely use it and most definitely NOT abuse it! :)

Larry

TheDisturbedOne

Deprecated,
Well this MOD confirmed that my FTP problems were over :)
But this MOD failed ModSettings.php
Can you take a look at it and tell me what I have to change?
Thanks!

codebirth

Hello!

Is possible to move the PAGES tab to other position in the SMF top menu so it appears between HOME and HELP?

Thanks for this great mod :)

Costa

Yes, in your index.template.php

find and delete the following code

// Show the [pages] button.
global $user_info, $modSettings;
if ($user_info['is_guest'] ? !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_enable_guest_access']) : !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_enable_member_access']))
echo ($current_action == 'pages' || $context['browser']['is_ie4']) ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $first . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '' , '
<td valign="top" class="maintab_' , $current_action == 'pages' ? 'active_back' : 'back' , '">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=pages">', !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_tab_label']) ? $modSettings['dozen_pages_tab_label'] : $txt['dozen_pages_tab_default'], '</a>
</td>' , $current_action == 'pages' ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $last . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '';

and now, to put this mod before the help pages, find

// How about the [Help Button] button?

add before

if ($user_info['is_guest'] ? !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_enable_guest_access']) : !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_enable_member_access']))
echo ($current_action == 'pages' || $context['browser']['is_ie4']) ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $first . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '' , '
<td valign="top" class="maintab_' , $current_action == 'pages' ? 'active_back' : 'back' , '">
<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=pages">', !empty($modSettings['dozen_pages_tab_label']) ? $modSettings['dozen_pages_tab_label'] : $txt['dozen_pages_tab_default'], '</a>
</td>' , $current_action == 'pages' ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $last . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '';

Farewell
- Costa
Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

codebirth

Hmm sorry but I can't find that in my index.template.php . In fact, that file has not been modified recently, and I installed the mod this morning :o

Costa

you've installed the mod without any fail test?
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

codebirth

Yes, and it shows the PAGES tab between HELP and SEARCH correctly.

Costa

if shows the tab PAGES, in your index.template MUST have the following code

If you don't find him, attach your index.template on your post please.

codebirth

No, my index.template.php does not have that code  :o

But I found the buttons array in Subs.php, changed the position of the pages button and now it appears in the position I want :)

Anyway here is my index.template.php

Moito obrigado! ;)

Advertisement: