News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Why the dissatisfaction?

Started by xenovanis, February 07, 2005, 04:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudog

I'm still in total shock that UNKNOWN is 19. I can't even fathom a 19 year old being able to design a board as complex, and well put together as SMF.  UNKNOWN being 19 only means one thing.... how smart is this guy going to be at 30? He can only get better, which is very scary. All I can say is WOW. 

I work to many hours to be able to help out on this site, or learn PHP like I want to, but I'm very grateful, and so are all my members (probably well over a thousand over the years since Yabb 1 gold) that you guys are doing this great project.

I've always found everyone very helpful. Sure you don't always get answers right away, and problems come up with installs. Considering the volume of the questions, and the fact that in the mean time many of these people have to re-write, and write code for new versions and updates of SMF, I think they are doing an OUTSTANDING JOB!!!!

I was always a big Microsoft fool, but using the SMF software has made me realize how awesome open source can be. Not only is it better in many ways,  its also a great learning tool for everyone. So rather then learn nothing from the Microsofts, and other paid softwares, you are able to enjoy a free software, and at the same time learn from it. 

I've run a free Diecast hobby site in some form since 96. Software like SMF, and other free software types have made it possible for me to stay on line with my site, and enjoy the internet with people from all over the world. I've met and still corespond with the president of Mattel Toys division (Hotwheels diecast), and many other awesome people over years. With out these types of tools, things like that would never have happened to a small time factory worker like me.  Its software like this that makes the WWW such a wonderful tool. 

So hat off to UNKNOWN, and everyone else involved, thanks for helping to make my life and many others just a little more interesting!!!!

araouf

I am 25 (nearing 26) and I honestly have more respect for UNKNOWN now, that I know he is 19. He managed to pull all of this off, which is an incredible accomplishment irrelevant of age. It must have taken a huge amount of dedication, drive and effort to bring SMF where it is now. I actually found out about SMF by fluke. I was looking through the list of scripts available from Fantastico. One of them was a bulletion board system called SMF, that I had never heard of before.  I came to this site, tried it out and was amazed. It was like I had found a hidden treasure. In my opinion this board blows PHPBB out of the water, and when the word spreads out further about SMF, it could eventually be a threat to VBulletin.

I think the support here in these forms is outstanding and rivals the support for many products out there, even for commercial products let alone free ones!

The least I can do to help these guys at SMF out is spread the word about SMF as much as I can. And I try to do that, each time I am on a forum and someone asks which forum script they should use? Or I tell my friends to use SMF when they want to start their own site.

So keep up the good work fellas!
The #1 Community for the BMW E90 3-series
www.e90style.com [nofollow]

Fizzy

Oh :o I got [Unknown]'s age wrong -

I had you pegged for 18 matey. But then I keep forgetting that SMF has been in the mix for nearly 2 years, so I hope I can be excused for that.

Age ! Is it relevent to a persons ability? Is it relevent to a persons natural talent?
History has shown time and time again that genius is not restricted by age - eg - Alexander the Great ( ageneral at 16) , Chopin 1st concert at age 7, Mozart composer at age 5 etc etc - Average age of soldiers in the Vietnam conflict anybody ? ? ? N-N-N-N---- you can guess the rest 8)

In my honest opinion if a member bailed out because of the excuse of your age then that person was just looking for an excuse in the first place.
The last time I checked age had no bearing on quality of code, but some people may get upset at the thought that 'A mere 19 year old' can actually code better than they can :P

Well for the record the fact that is 19 should be recognised as a credit to his dedication, learning ability and coding skills - how many 19 year olds do I know that are dedicated enough to do what this man has acheived? None.

Well done that man. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and have earned my respect for it.

As for the issue of guys trashing SMF for not getting what they want, when they want it etc ........ That's a great shame - they are the ones that lose out, not the Dev and Support teams.
Using the word "please" and showing a little patience costs nothing - especially when the software they are using cost them the same .... nothing.

Foot stomping and dummy spitting doesn't get you anywhere in life - I fail to see why they should be treated any differently here at SMF.
If they want to go to phpbb then good luck to them - i'm sure they'll get similar responses there too ... maybe then they might rethink their ways and ask themselves who is at fault.

Good job SMF team - keep up the good work - The majority of us appreciate all your hard work :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Lefteris_D

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 01, 2005, 05:57:24 PMSigh... I just got a pm from someone who was previously interested in SMF, its development, and the promotion thereof.  This person basically said that he hadn't realized I was 19 before, and now that he knew that the lead developer was 19, he was saying "goodbye" and wouldn't be interested in SMF a second longer.
I'm turning 23 next month(April) and some people say that I am too young.

I pay no attention to them :)

Kretz

[Unknown], you have inspired me alot, even though I've just been here for 2 weeks or so... I've decided that I will work hard with my forum and I will join some project (havent decided wich one yet) and work with that... hard.  This maybe doesnt seem like much, but if you knew me, you'd know it is alot...

Thank you [Unknown]!

TXSherry

Quote from: David on March 01, 2005, 08:03:52 PM
Eh, adults these days. :P

:P  and may I say again:  :P

LOL.

Hey, I wish I still had the energy and time for hobbies (non paid exercises) that I did in my 20s!  I remember pulling all-nighters in a row.  I remember existing on Dr Pepper and donuts and writing term papers at the last minute and still being able to go party on Friday night.  heh.

Anyway, to all of the SMF programming team, Jeff Lewis, [unknown], Grudge (and all those I don't know about) and Modders and Themers and Doc writers (can I hear a loud HALLELUJIA! for documentation?!)
thanks for putting in YOUR time and pouring in YOUR energy and maintaining a professional standard.

A very grateful user
The old, but not decrepit,
Sherry

ps: You're only as old as you act!  :P  So, I pick 16.  Ha!

[Unknown]

Quote from: Kretz on March 05, 2005, 12:50:44 PM
[Unknown], you have inspired me alot, even though I've just been here for 2 weeks or so... I've decided that I will work hard with my forum and I will join some project (havent decided wich one yet) and work with that... hard.  This maybe doesnt seem like much, but if you knew me, you'd know it is alot...

Thank you [Unknown]!

I'm glad I was able, in some small way, to do some good for someone ;).

ps: You're only as old as you act!  :P  So, I pick 16.  Ha!

Heh... I have a friend who is a bit older... legally blind, and doesn't have everything going her way.  Still, she insists that she's only nineteen, and I remember I told her (after my nineteenth birthday) that I was now older than her ;).

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: