News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Correct wording of Copyright Notice?

Started by squad, November 26, 2008, 04:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squad

I am probably n the wrong section, but I was wondering what is the correct wording of the copyright?

This is how it appears on my forum but I have seen it written in another form, are these words allowed to be changed or not?

Powered by SMF 1.1.7 | SMF © 2006-2008, Simple Machines LLC

Thanks very much.

Gary

That is the correct form. Except for the version number, which you are allowed to remove (as long as it says "SMF" at the minumum) you are not allowed to alter the copyright.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

squad

So can you say '| Powered by SMF Deluxe'

Not that I am the forum with that I was just wondering if that is acceptable or not?

Gary

If you want to say that, go ahead I guess.

You could probably have "Powered by SMF Super Duper Powerful version beyond all description" :P

Though in truth, there isnt really any need to hide your version number. Provided you keep patched up of course.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

squad

Thanks for that, as I have never seen it written any other the site I was talking about is using 1.1 RC something I can't
remember which one exactly :)

learner

Squad,

Let me preface this by saying I'm not an attorney and you should never take legal advice from a forum. You should check with the gov's copyright info site to verify.

The last major copyright law change (which was done primarily to product Mickey Mouse from going into public domain--no kidding) protects your work with or without a copyright notice. The main advantage to having a copyright notice along with filing for a copyright (within the first 3 months of creation) is that if you ever have to file against someone for intellectual theft you will be able to sue for your attorney fees. Otherwise you are on your own for your legal fees even if you prevail.

BTW don't bother getting advice from any attorney who does not specialize in intellectual property. I have friends who are attorneys who are clueless about intellectual properties including trademarks. One friend who sought out legal help to trademark her company's name was ill advised by an attorney who normally covers contracts. The bad advice she received caused her to lose her company name. If it is important consult an intellectual rights attorney.

squad

No I will repeat it is not I using this type of copyright notice, I am using the notice in my original post.

I was just interested, as it seemed a odd usage of words ummmmm

Thanks for the information. :)

Gary

Quote from: squad on November 26, 2008, 05:26:37 AM
Thanks for that, as I have never seen it written any other the site I was talking about is using 1.1 RC something I can't

If you saw the copyright written differently, it would've been on two lines like:

Forum Name | Powered by SMF 1.1 RC1.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Lewis Media was the previous holder of SMF's copyright before it was transferred to Simple Machines LLC, it was changed to one line in 1.1 RC2.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

squad

Quote from: Gazmanafc on November 26, 2008, 03:26:55 PM
Quote from: squad on November 26, 2008, 05:26:37 AM

If you saw the copyright written differently, it would've been on two lines like:

Forum Name | Powered by SMF 1.1 RC1.

Lewis Media was the previous holder of SMF's copyright before it was transferred to Simple Machines LLC, it was changed to one line in 1.1 RC2.

This is what it is like now and yes it was like that previously. When I saw the word 'Deluxe' I thought I had missed something  :-[ That was all :)  Thanks for your help Gazmanafc

Forum Name | Powered by SMF Deluxe.
Theme by @niqen

brandonmccoy

you can in fact install custom copyright ,which will put whatever you want on top of the smf info thing

Gary

You can edit around the SMF copyright as you see fit. That includes left and right of it. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

Jade Elizabeth

Why does no one link to the Online Manual anymore?! :'(

Am I allowed to remove/change the copyright?

You cant...
-Change
-Remove
-Make invisible/hard to see
-Alter/edit (exception of the forum version I suppose, but that's a whole new ballgame)
...the copyright

Put it this way... you make something you're REALLY proud of, worked on for so many days and nights... and you put a copyright on it.. how would you feel if you decided to share it and people were removing it? Maybe they were making it invisible or altering it? Well, leave the copyright where it is and wear it proudly as a sign of respect for those who have made it I say :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

squad

Quote from: Jade on November 29, 2008, 04:05:37 AM
Why does no one link to the Online Manual anymore?! :'(

Am I allowed to remove/change the copyright?

You cant...
-Change
-Remove
-Make invisible/hard to see
-Alter/edit (exception of the forum version I suppose, but that's a whole new ballgame)
...the copyright

Put it this way... you make something you're REALLY proud of, worked on for so many days and nights... and you put a copyright on it.. how would you feel if you decided to share it and people were removing it? Maybe they were making it invisible or altering it? Well, leave the copyright where it is and wear it proudly as a sign of respect for those who have made it I say :).

Can't agree more, I am extremely proud and honoured to be able have the full copyright displayed on my forum  :)
I would never dream of altering it in any fashion.

That is mainly why I asked, I think it is crazy not to have it as I do: