News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Anyone tried Silverstripe?

Started by anna.young, December 03, 2008, 12:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anna.young

http://www.silverstripe.com

It has a BSD license:

QuoteThe core SilverStripe Web Application Framework is licensed under the open source (revised) BSD  license, one of the most flexible and liberal licenses available. While there are hundreds of other content management systems available under the more restrictive GPL license, SilverStripe is (to our knowledge) the only advanced CMS available under the BSD license.

Before I go any further with trying this system I thought I would ask here...

They came first in Packt Publishing 2008 competition in the Most Promising Open Source CMS category.

Anybody looked into it?
Toronto German Shepherd Dog Rescue

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

Orstio

Thanks Anna.

I haven't looked under the hood yet, but the admin interface is really nice and clean.  The SEF sytem seems pretty seamless as well.

Nice to see that they have recognized the restrictions of GPL licensing and gone with a more versatile licensing solution.

anna.young

Perfect, thanks Orstio!  I'll download it and play with it then... Looks like they also have a very good support and documentation... Could be fun and system worth supporting...

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." (SJ)

anna.young

Just a short update.  As Mambo seems to be stalled again, I've been playing with SilverStripe on and off.  Still looks interesting, though it is obviously aimed towards people with more experience than I have... (might be a good opportunity to learn more...) SilverStripe support is not the greatest, but then we are all spoiled rotten  with the incredible support we are getting here at SMF... :P

I finally located something called external-authentication module and actual existing SMF driver for it, which hopefully will integrate the registration, login & membership... once I figure out of course how to put it all together...

Orstio

That driver looks like it works with SMF 1.1.x.  From the look of it, it won't integrate registration, but it will integrate the login (SilverStripe will authenticate against the SMF member table instead of its own).  Not sure if that works at all with permissions on the SilverStripe end. 

anna.young

Thanks Orstio, are you saying that it will not work with SMF 2.0?

Orstio

Not with that driver.  The database changes in 2.0 for database abstraction will break that driver.

Kindred

hmmm, but there is an OpenID module as well...    I wonder if that would be the simple way to tie it together.

I do notice that registration is a separate and unsupported module.

This looks like something I will have to play around with as well. :)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

anna.young

:) lol Kindred... you need to remember that they won the Most Promising Award, they're not quite there yet, so we need to step into the future.  But the concept looks interesting and clean.

Forum help is limited (no wonder, their Forum is crappy), but they do have a busy IRC channel where help is often available. Last time I was there, I saw  many people as confused as I am getting help.

Did you know that Obama's huge network of websites uses SilverStripe?

.Vapor

I ran a testing site with silverstripe but i was not impressed. It is very clean and simple though.  ;)

paratracker

Any chance you could be more specific than "not impressed", so the rest of us can benefit from your experience?

rnorth6920

anna.young

You are absolutely right rnorth6920.  In the middle of December (December 15 to be exact), after my original post, a separate website was launched for their Open Source project at http://silverstripe.org... ;)

IVIIVI4ck3y27

I'm curious if anyone else has looked into this more?  I know there's a lot of work being done on SMF 2.0 itself, but was curious if anyone had made a bridge request on it?  As much of a Joomla fan as I've been in the past, I really like the direction of Silverstripe a lot as well.  It could be a good alternative in the CMS range to a Joomla site via JFusion/JSMF down the road.

Bec

im also looking into this, anyone had any experience they want to share? i am looking to replace my joomla website (totally separate from my smf website) so would love to hear advice from others using it or have tried it...

青山 素子

I'm using Silverstripe on my main website right now. I don't have any major SMF bridging going on at the moment (it's planned), but it's not too difficult to push some of the SSI functionality to display content (I've done so).

Remember that Silverstripe is oriented to be a more pure CMS, while Joomla! and similar are focused on more social interactions and community functionality - kinda a "super-portal".
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Adrek

old topic, but maybe someone knows if now integration SMF and SS is possible?
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

青山 素子

To my knowledge, there is nothing built, but it is possible.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: