News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Auto Merge Double Post

Started by M-DVD, December 03, 2008, 10:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taha116

Oh ok, how do i upgrade? Uninstall old version and install newer one? Or is there another way i should do it?
"The man who smiles when things go wrong has though of someone to blame things on"
I forgot the name
BUY electronic cigarettes with rechargeable batteries as well as flavored refills for cheap prices and only 1-2 dollars of shipping!
http://www.ngcigarettes.com/
~Taha116

M-DVD

Yes

Quick and Easy.

:)

AlenNS

Quote from: M-DVD on December 10, 2008, 08:12:08 PM
Quote from: AlenNS on December 10, 2008, 09:50:43 AM
To bad. :(
Great mod but I can't use it like this. My members complained for this bug.

Hi.

That "bug" is not "bug". And if it were, then it would not be of this MOD.

Imagine:
1 .- You do not have installed this MOD.
2 .- A member changes the latest message in a topic, and add any text. (which is how it should happen, and not Flood).
3 .-  Will continue topic mark as topic read. Not display sign of new post or icon, nothing (whether it is used or not used this MOD).

So always happens in SMF. Then, no is bug of this MOD. Nor would it be a feature of this MOD; modify the last post, is something that always happens.

--

I made a code that fixes this, but I'm testing.
But, without mod, when someone edit their own message "new" button shows like there is a new message, in message index.
If you could make a code that would be great! :)

Nao 尚

M-DVD,

This is the last PM I sent you on November 29. It went unanswered, and I didn't think of looking for news about your mod.
I don't know why you weren't interested in merging both our mods, which seems only logical, considering the point of the mods themselves.
Therefore -- I'm asking again, and re-sending the PM below.

Quote from: M-DVD on November 29, 2008, 01:05:33 PM
Oh, you're winning.
It's not a game ;)
And it's not my mod. Although Din1031 seems to think it is.

QuoteI admit that he had not noticed that "Double Post Merge" also Merge automatically, only manually with buttom.
It's a cool button. Ah, no--it's not a cool button. My custom cool button is cool. Cool. I took the Split button and I inverted the arrows and colored it to yellow ;) That's cool. No, it's not that cool.

QuoteTaking into account the above:

1.- My MOD, Merge DoublePost automatically; and the other MOD, Merge DoublePost with a button in the Display.template. And the user chose what would most like.

2.- Moreover (and very important), that MOD was apparently "Not Avaible any more / not active development". And my MOD (a MOD with 'different function' and method) was going to take development.
Yes. I was thinking, if Din is still not willing to take over, since he pretty much "gave me" the MDP mod, maybe we could work on it together? (Not RIGHT NOW, though... I'm busy working on Aevac!! ;))

QuoteAfter your clarification:

1.- I can only say that my MOD is much lighter, and much more compatible with the code already has the Forum.

(does not seem sufficient)  :-[
Which is why I PMed you :) I figured it would be too bad to waste your time on a mod, and we should team up on improving it or something!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

M-DVD

Quote from: AlenNS on December 11, 2008, 11:08:56 AM
But, without mod, when someone edit their own message "new" button shows like there is a new message, in message index.
If you could make a code that would be great! :)

PM Sent.

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 14, 2008, 04:00:46 AM
M-DVD,

This is the last PM I sent you on November 29. It went unanswered, and I didn't think of looking for news about your mod.
I don't know why you weren't interested in merging both our mods, which seems only logical, considering the point of the mods themselves.
Therefore -- I'm asking again, and re-sending the PM below.

Forgive me for not responding. I now "I'm away" for personal reasons, and even I got over 200 notifications of this Forum.

I have only filtered those related to the support of the mods.

Sorry for not responding.

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 14, 2008, 04:00:46 AM
Yes. I was thinking, if Din is still not willing to take over, since he pretty much "gave me" the MDP mod, maybe we could work on it together? (Not RIGHT NOW, though... I'm busy working on Aevac!! ;))
Which is why I PMed you :) I figured it would be too bad to waste your time on a mod, and we should team up on improving it or something!

Oh, good idea, but, the MOD was already done, and "it was too not late to waste time on a mod."  :P

Moreover, the work was to be the same.

--

Why not work on improving the other?

Maybe this is an answer.

At that time there were no MOD to make this work.

Yes, this MOD, but,  who has it in charge?.

Din1031 said

Quote from: ディン1031 on June 11, 2005, 04:54:02 PM
Not Avaible any more, it's free for everyone else to create a mod like this.

If I understood well, anyone can take it. Even so nobody takes it.

Me neither. I would not without their "Direct Permission".

Fortunately, I had a way of "doing the same job," a different, more efficient, more friendly to the Forum and also, own.

Therefore, I felt that I had no brakes for not doing my own work. I did not have to wait for a permission from someone else; or continue in the current state, in which no one took the MOD, the work of someone else.

That is why I did and I sent mine, instead of continuing tethered to the previous one.

:)

--

Congratulations, the Aevac MOD is very good. Good work.

Nao 尚

Quote from: M-DVD on December 14, 2008, 12:14:53 PM
Sorry for not responding.
No problem.

QuoteOh, good idea, but, the MOD was already done, and "it was too not late to waste time on a mod."  :P
Yeah, well, I have no problem with you using code from MDP to improve your own mod, rather than the other way around.
I don't want an extra mod to maintain. I already have enough work with two big ones :)
I just thought it would be too bad not to see this good code (both from Din and I) put to use.

QuoteYes, this MOD, but,  who has it in charge?.
As I already said on the MDP topic:

- Din released the Merge Double-Posts mod, years ago
- I quickly became an addict
- I made a few more changes, month after month,
- One day I decided to "give back", and posted my SMF 2.0 version of MDP to a Charter Member topic, and also shared all of my code changes (translatable merge date, improved styling, debugging, etc.)
- Din apparently took this as a statement about how bad MDP was (while I was definitely a big fan), so he gave up on the mod, closed the mod page, and said I was the new owner.
- At that time (over a year ago), I was clearly not ready to work on a mod, and I didn't accept it. (I don't think I would have accepted either if I'd been able to take over, because I still think he should have asked me, instead of forcing me to take over.)
- So I gave up, and he gave up.
- A year later, I find out about your mod, and PM you about sharing my extra code.

So now it's up to you :)

QuoteCongratulations, the Aevac MOD is very good. Good work.
Thanks!
Oh, and it's Aeva, now ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

KameL

English text:
Mods, please don't delete this post, it's a bug report! I wrote it on spanish because my english is not good. The Mod owner speaks spanish, so, he can understand me. Thanks.

Spanish text:
Hola M-DVD! Excelente mod!

Te comento que encontré un error en los archivos de traducción, para ser mas específicos en los siguientes archivos:
-Modifications.spanish-utf8.php
-Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php
-Modifications.spanish_latin-utf8.php

El error en cuestión es que en los archivos nombrados, figuran las siguientes variables: $txt['AutoMergePost_txt'] y $txt['AutoMergePost_txt_sub'] las cuales no se vuelcan en la vista del SMF, ya que los strings del mod llaman a las variables $txt['AutoMergePost_div'] y $txt['AutoMergePost_div_sub'].

Lamentablemente, hace poco comenzé con SMF y similares, así que pido disculpas si usé términos erroneos, pero creo que la base del mensaje se entiende.

Saludos y gracias por este mod.

M-DVD

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 15, 2008, 10:31:41 AM
Yeah, well, I have no problem with you using code from MDP to improve your own mod, rather than the other way around.
I don't want an extra mod to maintain. I already have enough work with two big ones :)
I just thought it would be too bad not to see this good code (both from Din and I) put to use.

Ok, and Thanks.

I wouldn't have use a code of others, without Permission Direct.

And if it is done, would give them their due credit.

If you want to do, we could talk best and more details.

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 15, 2008, 10:31:41 AM
- I quickly became an addict
- I made a few more changes, month after month,
- One day I decided to "give back", and posted my SMF 2.0 version of MDP to a Charter Member topic, and also shared all of my code changes

I understand.

I also happened that. I've seen things and I thought I can improve, and then, share my changes.

Perhaps, this not be well "good interpreted".

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 15, 2008, 10:31:41 AMSo now it's up to you

No problem, Thanks  :)

Quote from: KameL on December 16, 2008, 03:26:39 AM
English text:
Mods, please don't delete this post, it's a bug report! I wrote it on spanish because my english is not good. The Mod owner speaks spanish, so, he can understand me. Thanks.

Spanish text:
Hola M-DVD! Excelente mod!

Te comento que encontré un error en los archivos de traducción, para ser mas específicos en los siguientes archivos:

Thank you, I look what you have said, and thanks again for your interest and help.

Gracias, revisaré lo que me has dicho, y de nuevo gracias por el interés y por ayudar.

AlenNS

M-DVD I've pm you couple a days ago.
On my forum the result is same. No new button at all.

M-DVD

Quote from: AlenNS on December 16, 2008, 10:47:56 AM
M-DVD I've pm you couple a days ago.
On my forum the result is same. No new button at all.

ok, I will continue to review. These days I have not had much time to do so. In my case, yes, it worked.

And before, don't show because the follows:

Test:
1.- User1: Create Topic.
2.- User2: Post a reply.
3.- User1: go to topic and See the Reply, and Retorn to index.
4.- User2: Modify his reply.
5.- User1: Refresh Message Board, and...

- see Icon New?
- ¡¡¡Yes!!!!.... and Not  :-\

Step 3½.- UserX: A member either, should do a new post (new topic or reply).

Then, yes, show "Icon New".

In my tests, this step wasn't case.

Doing this step, I made the correction in the MOD, and it worked me.

I will continue to review.

AlenNS

I don't know. It doesn't work for me. :(

mark7144

Quote from: M-DVD on December 16, 2008, 12:29:03 PM
1.- User1: Create Topic.
2.- User2: Post a reply.
3.- User1: go to topic and See the Reply, and Retorn to index.
4.- User2: Modify his reply.
5.- User1: Refresh Message Board, and...

On my forum, when the user manually edits their post it will tell other users that the topic has a new post. Your mod does not do this and therefore I consider it a major flaw. This issue has to be considered a bug in your mod because it is a normal part of SMF software that fails to work when your mod is installed. Unfortunately, I must disable your mod until this is fixed.

It would be nice if you could have a feature that allows the admin to choose for the last post to be used for merging rather than the first, this would mean a new reply will always show. Some of us don't care that the topic is bumped because for many of us, people who double post are not doing it for that purpose.

M-DVD

Quote from: mark7144 on December 17, 2008, 06:13:41 AM

On my forum, when the user manually edits their post it will tell other users that the topic has a new post. Your mod does not do this and therefore I consider it a major flaw. This issue has to be considered a bug in your mod because it is a normal part of SMF software that fails to work when your mod is installed. Unfortunately, I must disable your mod until this is fixed.

Yes, is true.

I have done the fix, and it worked for me.

I sent this fix for PM to AlenNS, for test, but it has not worked for he.

Then, I will continue to review.

Quote from: mark7144 on December 17, 2008, 06:13:41 AM
It would be nice if you could have a feature that allows the admin to choose for the last post to be used for merging rather than the first, this would mean a new reply will always show. Some of us don't care that the topic is bumped because for many of us, people who double post are not doing it for that purpose.

I'm not sure if i understood you correctly.

Do you want an option "AutoBUMP" when Merge the Posts?

mark7144

Can someone tell me how to set the bump time in hours rather than days? If this is not possible then I think it should be added in the next version. On my forum, I want it so when users double post within the hour, it should be merged but when they post several hours later it should be considered as a new post.

Quote from: M-DVD on December 17, 2008, 10:49:58 PM
Do you want an option "AutoBUMP" when Merge the Posts?
Yes because my users do not double post to bump threads, they double post to add new information or just by being a newbie.

Currently: Post 2 is merged with Post 1, Post 2 is deleted.
Suggestion: Post 1 is merged with Post 2, Post 1 is deleted.

Nao 尚

Quote from: M-DVD on December 16, 2008, 09:40:13 AM
Ok, and Thanks.

I wouldn't have use a code of others, without Permission Direct.

And if it is done, would give them their due credit.

If you want to do, we could talk best and more details.
Yes, as I said, I will gladly let you use my code in your mod. :) And since Din gave me ownership of Merge Double Posts, you can basically use all of the code in it.

So, how do we do it? Do you have access to my code? To my latest version of the mod?
I'm attaching the latest version I could find, from January 2008. (I only updated my website's url)

@Mark> The Merge Double Posts mod I attached actually does it this way -- it merges posts into the LATEST one. ;)

mark7144

Hi Nao, why are stalking me? ;)

Yes, what you said is exactly what I'm talking about.

I didn't realise that you have a Double Post mod as well, what is the difference between this one and yours?

netoya

mark7144,
QuoteCan someone tell me how to set the bump time in hours rather than days?
I think you can do it manualy in Sources/Subs-Post.php

// Allow Bump?
if (time() >= ($modSettings['AutoMergePost_time'] * 86400 + $row['posterTime']))
return;

86400 - second in one day, so change this value to get bump in hours.

mark7144

Quote from: netoya on December 18, 2008, 04:50:18 AM
I think you can do it manualy in Sources/Subs-Post.php
Thanks, hopefully it gets added as an option in the next version :)

Nao 尚

Quote from: mark7144 on December 18, 2008, 04:44:33 AM
Hi Nao, why are stalking me? ;)
Nah, I only do that for girls.

QuoteI didn't realise that you have a Double Post mod as well, what is the difference between this one and yours?
Err...
Well, I dunno, just have a look at the file ;)
Basically, it allows you to choose whether to merge double posts automatically or with a button next to the Quote/Split/Delete buttons (the button also appears on the first post of a page if the last post in the previous page is by the same author), it allows admins to bypass the automatic double posting, it uses the last post's ID instead of the first post's, it adds a nice little [mergedate] tag that says (translated to the current viewer's language) "originally posted on..." or whatever you want (you can style it, as default it has a small font with dimmed color, and an horizontal dashed bar... I like how I made it look like.), and you can also choose the default minimum time below which double posts are automatically (in seconds), etc, etc...

Really, you can see it in action over at aeva.noisen.com :P
http://aeva.noisen.com/support/5060/video-embedding/msg227476/#msg227476

And since I'm not willing to have more than one actual mod of mine (and Aeva is already a lot of work), I really don't mind if M-DVD uses all of these features into his own mod. As long as he's willing to support the mod, of course! Because if he's going to give it up after a couple of months, I might as well offer Merge Double Posts as an actual mod and support it myself...

mark7144

Does your mod support 1.1.7, Nao?

I couldn't find a mod page for it anywhere.

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 18, 2008, 06:05:58 AMit uses the last post's ID instead of the first post's, it adds a nice little [mergedate] tag that says (translated to the current viewer's language) "originally posted on..." or whatever you want (you can style it, as default it has a small font with dimmed color, and an horizontal dashed bar... I like how I made it look like.), and you can also choose the default minimum time below which double posts are automatically (in seconds), etc, etc...
The bolded text are the three things are would like implemented into this mod.

Advertisement: