News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Amazon Search

Started by hchute, December 05, 2008, 03:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hchute

Link to Mod

This mod provides an Amazon Search button into your posting template. It converts any selected string of text into a link to Amazon that displays the Amazon search results for that string.

Amazon allows and encourages these links that draw traffic to its site. The mod provides a simple way for your forum members to provide a direct link into Amazon for books, CDs, DVDs, tools, electronics, or any type of product that is mentioned in your forum posts.

If you are in Amazon's affiliate program, your affiliate code can be automatically embedded in the link, so that you get credit for any resulting purchases.

Screenshots:

Posting button:

Posting page (close-up):

Posting page:

How it's used:

When creating or modifying a post, your forum members can select text in that post and click on the Amazon Search button. The selected text will become a clickable link in the post. When visitors to your forum click on that link, a new browser page will open with the Amazon search page results for that string.

The mod also provides an easy way for your forum moderators to modifying existing posts to convert text to Amazon links.

After running the automatic install, copy the included amazonsearch.gif to your Themes/Default/Images/BBC folder. And, if you are part of Amazon's affiliate program, edit Subs.php in your Sources folder and replace the string "affiliate-id" with your affiliate ID assigned by Amazon.

Changelog:

1.0 - 11/28/08
- initial release
KBoards - (2.5M posts) | SMF mods for Amazon affiliates: - Amazon Search - Amazon DVD  - Amazon MP3

hchute

Welcome, SMF users!

This is my first official SMF mod, and I'm pleased that it has been successfully reviewed and released to the masses.

I'm a software developer by training and profession, and have two years of experience running SMF forums. Both of my current forums are gadget forums. One has about 100,000 posts and the newer one has about 30,000. 

This particular mod has been the most useful mod I've made in my forums. My forum members have really taken to using it. They like using it, and their use of it has driven up my affiliate sales.

It's a simple mod, to install and to use. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. And do let me know how well it works for you in your forums!

- Harvey

PS You may also be interested in other mods that build Amazon affiliate links. Here are the ones I've developed so far:

• Amazon Search. Converts selected text to an affiliate link that searches Amazon's site for that text string.
  • Amazon DVD. Converts selected text to an affiliate link that searches Amazon's DVD store for that text string. The posting bbcode button is an image of a musical note. 
  • Amazon MP3. Converts selected text to an affiliate link that searches Amazon's MP3 download store for that text string. The posting bbcode button is an image of a musical note. 
KBoards - (2.5M posts) | SMF mods for Amazon affiliates: - Amazon Search - Amazon DVD  - Amazon MP3

hchute

To see this mod in action, you can view it at either of my gadget sites: http://www.kindleboards.com and http://www.zunerama.com.

Here's a screenshot of the Amazon Search bbcode button, and showing the bbcode that it adds to a post:

jinxnme

I installed this package and cannot get my affiliate id to show up in the URL.
Quoteedit Subs.php in your Sources folder and replace the string "affiliate-id" with your affiliate ID assigned by Amazon.
I did this, but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

hchute

^ Yes, if you've replaced the "affiliate-ID" string with your assigned Affiliate ID, it is being passed to Amazon through &tag parameter.

That is occurring even if Amazon doesn't display the "&tag=" code in the URL displayed in the address bar.

You can verify that with a test purchase. Make a post about an item, and use the Amazon Search button to make the text clickable. Then preview the post, and click on the link. A new browser window will open with an Amazon search results page. As a test, purchase any item. 

The next morning, you'll see that item in your Amazon affiliate "Orders" report. (You can then cancel that test order if you wish.)

A little more info: What is happening is, Amazon stores your tag as part of the user's session, then redirects to the page without your tag in the URL. You'll get credit for everything purchased in that session.

sheryltoo

I'm having a terrible time finding the "affliate ID" I need to replace.
Would you be able to copy some of the surrounding codes so perhaps I'll be able to find it?
Thanks.
Sheryl

hchute

Sure - here's the code in Subs.php (assuming you're using SMF 1.*):

array(
'tag' => 'amazonsearch',
'type' => 'unparsed_content',
'content' => '<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26x%3D13%26ref%255F%3Dnb%255Fss%255Fgw%26y%3D14%26field-keywords%3D$1%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps&tag=affiliate-id-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957" target="_BLANK">$1</a>',
),

Look for the string "affiliate-id-20" towards the end; and replace that with your affiliate code. Your affiliate code should also end with "-20". So, if your affiliate code is "sheryl-20", for example, the above code would be modified to:

array(
'tag' => 'amazonsearch',
'type' => 'unparsed_content',
'content' => '<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fs%3Fie%3DUTF8%26x%3D13%26ref%255F%3Dnb%255Fss%255Fgw%26y%3D14%26field-keywords%3D$1%26url%3Dsearch-alias%253Daps&tag=sheryl-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957" target="_BLANK">$1</a>',
),

sheryltoo

Thank you so much. That made it much easier. I found it.
I was thinking of adding your other two search mods but if someone were to use the plain Amazon search and type in a DVD title or MP3, would it search for one of those items?

I'm editing this reply to add one more question.
Is there a way to add the BBC to a quick reply box since many of my members use the quick reply.
Sheryl

hchute

Yes, the Amazon Search bbcode will search all of amazon, including the MP3 downloads and the DVDs, for the search string.

The other mods (Amazon MP3 and Amazon DVD) are more targeted - they specifically search within Amazon's music and DVDs areas, respectively.

Good question about the quick-reply - - I'll have to research that.

sheryltoo

Ok thanks.
Please let me know what you find out.
Sheryl

weisus

Hchute,

I just wanted to thank you for adding this information. I have just added my own SMF to my site and this helps immensely. Again thank you for sharing, without the help of great users such as yourself-some of this can be overwhelming for us Newbs.

Thank you-Weisus

hchute

Quote from: sheryltoo on January 19, 2009, 06:07:59 PM
Ok thanks.
Please let me know what you find out.
Sheryl

The Quick-Reply box doesn't display bbcode buttons, like bold, italics, and the Amazon Search button.

A workaround - you can press 'Preview' from the Quick-Reply window, and the bbcode buttons will appear.

sheryltoo

I'm using the enhanced quick reply mod and it does include BB codes that's why I was hoping I could add the Amazon button to the rest of the BBCs.
Sheryl

hchute

Ah, I see. Thanks, Sheryl. I haven't used that mod, but I'll add that to my 'to-do' list to see if I can help make it available in enhanced quick-reply.

sheryltoo

Thank you. That would be great.
Sheryl

PerryM

Upgraded to RC1 and [Apply Mod] is missing from my Packages page - can't load it.

Thanks,
Perry

hchute

Thanks for alerting me to this - I didn't realize I need to change my mod package for 2.0 RC1. I'll get on that and post in here when I have an update ready. Won't be long.

hchute

Update: I've updated the mod for compatibility with SMF 2.0 RC1 (and SMF 1.1.8 as well).

Existing users of the mod won't have to make any changes. Others, should uninstall the mod (if it exists), download the updated mod package and install.

KirkhamsEbooks

Nice mod

I noticed when I edited the -20 was already in the sub.php. I assume this means I only need to add the other part of my amazon affiliate id?

Rick

hchute

Thanks!

Yes, that is correct. The '-20' suffix is already there for you.

KensonPlays

Will you be updating this for SMF2.0RC2?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

hchute

Yes - will have that out shortly and will post here when it's ready for download! - Harvey

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

hchute

The mod is now updated for compatibility with SMF 1.1.11 and with RC2. - Harvey

Threepwud

Does anyone know whether it works or can be modified to work with the .co.uk site?

New to affiliates - I've registered at .co.uk but would this still work with my user-id if  the adds are pointing at the .com site?

Thanks peeps

Eclipse16V

Nice Mod

Please update it for SMF 2.0RC3  ;)

Thanks
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

hartiberlin

Hi,
could you please update it to work with SMF 2.0 RC3
and modify it this way,
that the admin can setup keywords and affiliate links to
Amazon products and every time a user is typing in his posting
the text of the keyword, there will be automatically a link
inserted with the affiliate code to this product from the admin ?

This would be a great way, so that the admin
can first maybe put 100 keywords and affiliate links
to Amazon products in the admin area and
when a user posts text with one of these keywords,
automatically the AMazon affiliate link will be inserted.

That would be really great !

This way it will be an automatic cash machine.

For example if the forum is about the topic "coffee"
and a user is posting something about "espresso"
and this was one of the keyword defined in the
admin panel,
then Mod could modify this word to a link to
an Espresso machine sold on Amazon with the
affiliate link of the admin.

Such plugins are already available for Wordpress and
I wonder, if one could just modify them for use with SMF.

Please let me know, if you can do something like this.

Then this Mod could also be used not just for Amazon,
but for any other affiliate program to automatically
insert links to the products without any more work.

That would be really great !

Many thanks in advance.

Regards, Stefan.

ceewee

RC3 , it works for me. :-)  And I have 34 other mods installed.....

This is voor amazon.com , I have also .ca-uk-fr-de, would be nice if clicking on link would open 5 amazon windows at same time! (although users won't like it that much.)

hartiberlin

So what about my suggestions 2 posts above ?

Does nobody want to make real money from Amazon ?

Normal users probably won´t use this Amazon search button,
so there must be an automatic solution to
tag keywords with Amazon affiliate product links...

Maybe someone can write a PHP scripts that searches
through all the postings and modifies keywords into
Amzon and/or Ebay Affiliate links ?

Does anybody know if such a tool already exists ?
I would also pay for it.

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

hchute

The mod download page has been updated to indicate that the mod is compatible with current 1.1.* and 2.* releases of SMF. Existing users of the mod should not have to change anything.

Drover

Great mod.  The only issue I'm having is that the highlighted keywords don't show up as a link in the post.  They just look like regular text so nobody can see to click on them.  Any thoughts as to the problem?

KirkhamsEbooks

I just installed this mod using SMF 2.0.2

Has anyone had a problems with it with this version?

Thanks for the mod

Rick

Arantor

Moved to the BBC category of mods.

donchulio

Everytime I link a Product with your mod, the user is getting referred to amazon.com.
How can I change this, that the user is getting on amazon.de?

Is there any way? Thank you in advance! :)

Advertisement: