News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stop Forum Spam

Started by ITA003, December 10, 2008, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snadge

Omgodon could be right as it used to just totally block anything listed...now they are automatically getting through...2 per day on average...ive tried reinstalling it and still the same

Shambles

Do you have Tapatalk installed?

snadge

I do... is there anyway to tell if they are coming from Tapatalk?

i will disable that mod for few days, been using SFS for years with Tapatalk and never had a issue

snadge

...in fact the Tapatalk mod has an option that says it has SFS enabled? i have changed the registration to external which should send them too the website instead of "in-app"

Shambles

Also, disable the option that allows Tapatalk-registered members to bypass your own registration.

You'll find that option is the actual culprit ;)

snadge

Quote from: Shambles on June 13, 2015, 03:10:44 PM
Also, disable the option that allows Tapatalk-registered members to bypass your own registration.

You'll find that option is the actual culprit ;)

is this in App?  think I have that on but will check

Shambles

No it's in the forum settings:

"Automatic approval for user registered from Tapatalk"

snadge

ahh i spotted it in forum and it was on (Social Sign On) - so have that on web-only now...hopefully this should work :)

thanks again

Kindred

Yet another reason that tapatalk is a bad idea
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yuichen

I seem to suddenly have the same issue... without tapatalk installed.

Kindred

but do you have the social login mod or any other mod that messes with the standard SMF registration?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

yuichen

The only mods I have installed are this one and thumbnail topic.

Kindred

If that is so -- then please do not just say "I have the same problem"

Please, clearly explain your problem -- because there is no way for users to automatically register and bypass the normal registration checks unless you have installed some other mod.  If you have NOT installed some other mod, then it stands to reason that they are NOT doing what you say and something else is going on.
Слaва
Украинi

yuichen

Alright, my bad. Banned members are miraculously able to post on my forum with the IPs they were banned with. The other day there were three members who were spamming up the place so I moved to ban the things they used (name, ip, hostname, etc), only to be told those IPs and usernames were already banned. So... how the heck are they able to be roaming around and posting?

mark7144

My forum has been around for 10 years and suddenly SFS is not working any more for me. I have not touched anything on my forum for a year apart from the basic security patches.

Over the last few days I am now seeing several registrations from usernames & IP addresses that are in the online SFS database. Strangely, when I do my own test with a banned username, it correctly blocks me. SFS has been perfect until now, any ideas?

Forum version: SMF 1.1.21 (more detailed)
Current SMF version: ??
PHP version: 5.4.37
MySQL version: 5.5.30-cll
Server version: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)

TLMB

Hi,
Firstly, thank you for this mod! I've been using it for some years now, and it works really well.

Recently, I've been getting a lot of spammer sign-ups. SFS catches the majority of them, and I reject them, so that's great.

The only problem is that I now have false stats for the number of new users on my forum: 269 "new users" last month, as opposed to about 18 on an average month.
So my question is:
Is there any way to get (...the mod to get...) the forum to recalculate the number of new users in Forum History http://example.com/forum/index.php?action=stats ?
(The actual total number of users reported is correct.)

Thanks for any ideas.

Kindred

Did you try "recalculate forum stats"

Also -- add questions.   10-20 questions, asking 2-3 will stop spammers from ever registering in the first place and them the few that are human spammers who do get through an be caught by SFS
Слaва
Украинi

TLMB

Hi,
Sorry, I should have said that yes, I tried "recalculate forum stats", to no avail.

I'll try adding more questions.

bayonetbrant

Any chance this mod is going to get updated at all?

Kindred

It works just fine for me
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: