News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

2b4 search for members with custom fields

Started by wakewatcher, December 24, 2008, 04:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wakewatcher

While 2b4 allows you to search on a custom field often the results aren't all that helpful. I have a custom field that can be a number.  If I'm looking for number 1 it returns anything with a 1 in it.  Which isn't great but worse yet the returned results doesn't show the custom field filtered on so one can't even visually narrow down the search from the results.  Seems to me that if one specifies that a custom field is searchable then it should actually be a column in the results. (Or better yet a column in the unfiltered member list so you can do a column sort.)
smf 2.0.18

SleePy

This is because SMF doesn't know if you want LIKE, >, <, =, or a combination of those. It uses LIKE by default to assume you are wanting something like that.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

wakewatcher

SleePy,  that makes sense.  Hopefully when I get learned I can figure out how to make mods that would add a drop down next to the field do specify LIKE,>,<,=.  It does seem reasonable that since it defaults to LIKE that then it should include the field in the results page from the query so that at least at that point you could do a visual search from the set of results.
smf 2.0.18

SleePy

Bug #2851: Searching by custom field should show the custom profile field in results

I logged this, but I don't know if this will make 2.0, since 2.0 is feature locked.
I thought there was a mod for this, but I can't find it.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

[SiNaN]

Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

SleePy

Yes that was it Blue Dream :)

wakewatcher, as I thought, the developers are not going to be able to do this for 2.0, you can use that mod in the mean time though :).

wakewatcher

smf 2.0.18

Advertisement: