News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopUpSteve

Duly noted, thanks.
Steve
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless it's digital."

IMSassafras

I'm back only cuz I thought I owed you people a great big thanks.  I did the suggestion of adding questions in registration and in over 24 hours we have had no people getting through except real, wholesome, fresh and blood members. 

Thank you very much, everyone!!!   :) ;) ;D

~Sass
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. ~ Bahá'u'lláh

busterone

AZMazda3

This is a great mod. It has done so much since installing it. Our forum still gets 1-2 people 'bots' a month that are not in the database but are from either Pakistan, Russia, or China. While I really don't mind that but they do not contribute, they are most likely gaining access so they can get the scrapers to access or something like that.

So am I missing a setting or something to do better with this?

FemR

I'm just wondering if following has ever happened to anyone... yesterday I successfully installed this cool mod, left settings on default, played with 'Check these Members' to check on a few pages of existing members.

Little while later I realized about 30 existing forum accounts (out of 2500) got deleted. Not banned, not unapproved, deleted. I thought this mod couldn't do that?

On the Admin>Members page, it currently says '29 Spammers blocked up until today' (this numbers changed up and down overnight but still it's around that digit.
Number of members 'Awaiting Approval' is around 10 currently.

I also installed Honey Pot yesterday, but did not turn that one on yet. So I'm left to wonder, if Stop Spammer is the cause?

Anyone had that happen? Very bizarre. Thanks for your replies/help.

Kindred

This mod has no delete function. They is no way that it deleted your users, existing or new...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

FemR

I've only installed 3 mods on that day:

• httpBL (did not turn it on yet)
  • Add Honey Pot to Track IP
  • Stop Spammer
I understood neither is made to be able to delete users, yet circa 30 accounts got somehow deleted. I'm the only admin too. Like I said, never had that happen, so bizarre, it has me scratching my head since. Thanks for your reply, Kindred.

HansR

Installed on: 2 june 2014
Simple Machine :  2.0.7
Stop Spammer : 2.3.9

-----

There is a severe error in the Dutch translation of Stop Spammer. As a result the installation fails and a PHP-error (unexpected T_STRING) inhibits the forum to run. Inexperienced users will have a problem because it requires some advanced handling to recover and correct.

The invalid codestring is the last string in the Dutch translation (both DUTCH and DUTCH_UTF8) is:

Quote$txt['stopspammer_check_sub2'] = 'Standaard wordt elke keer wanneer leden gecontroleerd worden met de MOD Stop Spammer hun gebruikersnamen, e-mail adressen en IP's gecontroleerd. Indien je teveel valse positieven krijgt vanwege hun gebruikersnamen kun je deze optie uitschakelen. We raden je niet aan de andere twee opties ook uit te schakelen (het controleren van e-mail adressen en IP's) tenzij je weet wat je doet.';

It should read:

Quote$txt['stopspammer_check_sub2'] = 'Standaard wordt elke keer wanneer leden gecontroleerd worden met de MOD Stop Spammer hun gebruikersnamen, e-mail adressen en IP\'s gecontroleerd. Indien je teveel valse positieven krijgt vanwege hun gebruikersnamen kun je deze optie uitschakelen. We raden je niet aan de andere twee opties ook uit te schakelen (het controleren van e-mail adressen en IP\'s) tenzij je weet wat je doet.';

Surprising nobody noticed this before, installation of the Dutch language is not possible!
Could the correction be entered in the distribution?
Thanks.

metemi

This looks like a great Mod, thank you very much! I'm a bit confused (and worried) though about the reported number of "Blocked Spammers"; first of all I'm not sure what that means exactly, and secondly, the numbers are extremely high; much higher than the number of registrations we actually get.  Any help? (it was up to 700 on the first day it was used).

bahgheera

Hmm... someone beat me to it. ;)

The question above is one I'd like to ask - there is a lot of activity from the mod (we're up to >2000 blocked spammers now), but I'm not sure what exactly it's doing. I installed the mod less than 24 hours ago. We don't normally get that many registrations in a day, so is it blocking people that created accounts before I installed the mod? I thought the mod simply flags accounts and doesn't let them get approved without admin intervention. If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

metemi

Quote from: metemi on June 05, 2014, 12:44:49 AM
This looks like a great Mod, thank you very much! I'm a bit confused (and worried) though about the reported number of "Blocked Spammers"; first of all I'm not sure what that means exactly, and secondly, the numbers are extremely high; much higher than the number of registrations we actually get.  Any help? (it was up to 700 on the first day it was used).

I'm beginning to think that nobody (including the developers) knows the answer to this question... ??

busterone

The mod author for this mod has not been active for almost a year.  Only he can accurately answer the question. 
I have also noted the blocked spammers number, but honestly, it is not really a big deal to me whether it is low or high. All I care about is that spammers do not get into my forum. With the help of this mod, another mod, and ever rotating registration questions, that is accomplished for me.

the mod author Snoopy's profile -  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=68708
last active July 31, 2013, 08:03:11 AM

HDB

The blocked spammer count is high for me as well but this Mod works. It keeps the spammers on the outside looking in.  :)

metemi

Quote from: busterone on June 07, 2014, 12:02:15 AM
The mod author for this mod has not been active for almost a year.  Only he can accurately answer the question. 
I have also noted the blocked spammers number, but honestly, it is not really a big deal to me whether it is low or high. All I care about is that spammers do not get into my forum. With the help of this mod, another mod, and ever rotating registration questions, that is accomplished for me.

the mod author Snoopy's profile -  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=68708

Oh ok.  Yeah it's a great mod, I guess those numbers are not really important.  What is the other mod you are using?
Thanks for the reply.

busterone

Quote from: metemi on June 08, 2014, 01:56:54 AM
Quote from: busterone on June 07, 2014, 12:02:15 AM

Oh ok.  Yeah it's a great mod, I guess those numbers are not really important.  What is the other mod you are using?
Thanks for the reply.

httpBL

bahgheera

My question is are we keeping regular members or non-spammers out? That's all I'm really concerned with. But you are right, it does seem to work exceptionally well at keeping the spammers out.

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: Kindred on May 03, 2014, 09:13:51 PM
This mod has no delete function. They is no way that it deleted your users, existing or new...

That is where you are wrong.
This mod, WILL delete the members if you check them, and they appear to be on Stop Forum Spam's spammer list.
I know this for a fact, because a while back, we had it happen at Crip's site.

However, I have been told of a bug, where Check Member is visible to the member in their profile's Actions menu.

Here is the fix: Sources > Profile.php

'checkmember' => array(
'label' => $txt['stopspammer_profilecheck'],
'custom_url' => $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=query;params=' . base64_encode(serialize(array('mem_id' => $memID, 'types' => array('mem_id' => '=')))),
'enabled' => $cur_profile['id_group'] != 1 && !in_array(1, explode(',', $cur_profile['additional_groups'])),
'sc' => 'get',
'permission' => array(
'own' => array('profile_remove_any', 'profile_remove_own'),
'any' => array('profile_remove_any', 'moderate_forum'),
),
),

Should be:

'checkmember' => array(
'label' => $txt['stopspammer_profilecheck'],
'custom_url' => $scripturl . '?action=admin;area=viewmembers;sa=query;params=' . base64_encode(serialize(array('mem_id' => $memID, 'types' => array('mem_id' => '=')))),
'enabled' => $cur_profile['id_group'] != 1 && !in_array(1, explode(',', $cur_profile['additional_groups'])),
'sc' => 'get',
'permission' => array(
'own' => array('profile_remove_any),
'any' => array('profile_remove_any', 'moderate_forum'),
),
),

busterone

Interesting. I just checked it using a couple of non admin test accounts and it is visible.  If clicked the user is told that they are not allowed access to that area.
I am surprised that this has gone so long unnoticed. As curious as several of my members are about stuff, I am really surprised that at least one of them never noticed it and commented about it. 

Thanks for the fix.

Burke ♞ Knight

ROFL...
I know what you mean.
I've used this mod for a long time, and only recently had someone bring it to my attention.

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Advertisement: