News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

I just updated from 2.08 ro 2.09 smf and this was not happening in 2.0.8

when checking the member--- rather when yo go to admin/members/awaiting approval

you can click the drop down menu at the bottom to see a list of what to do. Te entire list appears in the awaiting activation section but as you can see from the image it is not quite right in awaiting approval.

the other image shows the mods installed in this forum

I manual checked the files that it has edits for and they are all in there with the right spot for them too.

ideas of what I can do?
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Kindred

the first screen shot is displaying the "approve accounts for deletion" screen... not the "check spammer" screen.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DarkAngel612

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2014, 06:24:09 AM
the first screen shot is displaying the "approve accounts for deletion" screen... not the "check spammer" screen.

Why it be doing that, none of the other forums changed after the update. How to get it back to normal please.
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

DarkAngel612

Well it is Halloween month and the ghost and goblins are active...that is my story anyway cause i just went in to try a test registration to see if clicking that would delete it or allow it and the darn menu is back to normal again.

Thanks and for now I guess it is fixed...LOL

Kindred

It was never wrong...  the "approval" area covers two things...

new users
requests for deletion

If there are no new users pending approval, then the systemautomatically displays the "requests for deletion" screen.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DarkAngel612

Well see that is why I thought there was something I might have missed. Usually, when we check there to approve/disapprove there is the drop menu like the one in activation part....both sections have the same drop menu.

I even check the other forums that had nobody to approve and the menu is there --- NOT the shorty one but the full one. This forum that drove me nuts was before the update showing the drop menu correctly then it changed after the update.

Now it has the menu as before and there are no people waiting to be approved...and that shorter menu is gone...

like I said before---no member awaiting approval and with on or more in there the menu was short...u am happy cause now it is showing like before...LOL

City Builder

Are we overloading the SFS service and getting blocked maybe?

I recently sold my site to another party and have been helping them to get it stable and add back in the mods (some of them anyway) that we used to use.  My primary concern was blocking spammers as if I don't use any spam protection at all I could have several hundred new spam accounts setup in one day with possibly hundreds or thousands of spam messages posted.

I've been using the stop spammer mod for quite a long time now and recently updated the SMF forums to 2.09 and am using the Stop Spammer version 2.3.9

However, I'm seeing that the mod can't connect up with the SFS database quite a few times each day which of course could mean spammers do get to register accounts since we don't want to deny people when the mod can't make the connection to the SFS database.

I've read various things on the internet about the service, some saying that if you do too many connections you can get blacklisted or you can have it deny the connections to your domain name and or it's IP address.

Our stats show 636788 Spammers blocked up until today, of course that 636,788 spammers is over the past 4 years.  Our current registered members is about 270,000+ members (again, registered over the past 4 years) so I'm now wondering if maybe we're simply overloading the SFS services and they are denying service which is why we see so many accounts that are yellow and couldn't be checked when the person registered, or if the Stop Forum Spam service is just really unreliable now and can't handle the load of all the sites that use it.

We also use the httpBL mod to help out and that seems to catch the majority of spammers but some will still get through that and without your mod, we end up with possibly dozens of spam that we have to clean up several times a day.

Anybody know if the SFS service is just unreliable now or if I'm somehow overloading their service for an individual IP address / domain name / API key?

Thanks

Kindred

Questions work even better...
Слaва
Украинi

City Builder

Quote from: Kindred on November 14, 2014, 09:34:11 PM
Questions work even better...
Okay...

Again as posted in my original post...
Anybody know if the SFS service is just unreliable now or if I'm somehow overloading their service for an individual IP address / domain name / API key?

busterone

It is possible that the site has been having issues itself, but there haven't been any reported recently.  If you really need some answers, I suggest you register for an account at SFS's  forum and post there.  One of the admins or moderators there could search through the server log and see if there is an issue with your domain/ or server's Ip adrress. The guys that run the site are more than helpful.

City Builder

Thanks for the reply, that's what I'll have to do as I found the connection dead again between our server and theres and a mounting amount of accounts stuck into the awaiting approval area since they couldn't be checked, even though we have it setup to allow approval and then check manually later.  But I just tried to register a dummy account with stop spammer turned on and it couldn't connect and it says that my account must be verified by an admin or whatever the default message is that tells people they need to be authorized manually by an admin.

busterone

that is the message that the sfs mod is supposed to display, but it is odd that it did it to you. Where you attempting to register from your own IP that you use to log in to the forum? The ones that are awaiting admin approval should have a red icon next to whichever criteria was found in the SFS database. If they are yellow, then yes, the database connection is going wrong. That could be your host's issue or it could be on the SFS side, but the only way to narrow it down would to ask at SFS and Pedigree can determine if it is on your end or his. If there is no issue on SFS side, then you will need to look at your host.

City Builder

Yes I was attempting to register using the only IP that my ISP gives us and the same one that I normally log into our forums with.

I've posted on their forum now and waiting a response, I suspect it may be the new owners OVH host that is causing this since it's not got a lot of people posting about it on the SFS forums.

busterone

I suspect the same, but if your host has a bad rep with SFS, at least Ped can confirm it. Yea, I haven't posted over there in quite a while, but I check in every few days to see what may be new, and I haven't seen any reports of server lags or being down.

GreenSage

Can I get some help please? I'm with lunarpages and this script just started causing problems of the MySQL database "going away." (Mind you I haven't touched the script in like 9 months now lol.)

Upon looking up members I get an error (offtimes) on this chunk of code on subs.php

// In some cases, this may be better and faster, but for large sets we don't want so many UPDATEs.
if ($update)
{
foreach ($changeArray as $variable => $value)
{
$smcFunc['db_query']('', '
UPDATE {db_prefix}settings
SET value = {' . ($value === false || $value === true ? 'raw' : 'string') . ':value}
WHERE variable = {string:variable}',
array(
'value' => $value === true ? 'value + 1' : ($value === false ? 'value - 1' : $value),
'variable' => $variable,
)
);
$modSettings[$variable] = $value === true ? $modSettings[$variable] + 1 : ($value === false ? $modSettings[$variable] - 1 : $value);
}

// Clean out the cache and make sure the cobwebs are gone too.
cache_put_data('modSettings', null, 90);

return;
}

Line 588 of subs.php specifically which is only the line:
);

LP and me is trying to narrow this down and I don't know how to help them.

busterone

The above code you posted has nothing to do with this mod.  The only code that Stop Spammer adds to the vanilla subs.php is the following on line 3438 for my forum (yours may be slightly different depending on the amount of mods added)

$context['unapproved_members'] = $modSettings['unapprovedMembers'];

I am not much of a coder, but there seems to be another issue causing the server to go away. You may want to post this in the 2.0 support area.

madfiddler

Just installed this today on a 2.0.8 forum. Working fine. Thanks very much to the author!

SD-X

Quote from: madfiddler on December 19, 2014, 06:22:52 PM
Just installed this today on a 2.0.8 forum. Working fine. Thanks very much to the author!
2.0.9 is out. I would highly suggest updating. :D

madfiddler

Thank for reminding me... will do! :)

madfiddler

Would it be possible for other forum membergroups to have access to this mod?

Advertisement: