News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renzosan

I've solved the problem.

1.- Create directory '/temp' inside of packages and change CHMOD to 777.
2.- Change CHMOD to 777 of some files:
- /Themes/default/ManageMembers.template.php
   - /Themes/default/Register.template.php
   - /Sources/ManageRegistration.php
   - /Sources/ManageMembers.php
   - /Sources/Register.php
   - /Sources/Subs.php
   - /Sources/Subs-Members.php
   - /Sources/Profile.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english_british-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_latin-utf8.php

3.- Apply mod.
4. Copy 'StopSpammer.php' to /Sources.
5. Copy 3 png's to /Themes/default/images/icons

M-DVD

Quote from: SiL on October 06, 2009, 11:18:38 PM
Hmm, the contents of the latest 2.3 update when checked with textwrangler with a previous download
show no differences?   (last file update date still 27 Sep 09?)

? did the update, "not update" on smf.org?

I don't upgrade this MOD from the 27th September 2009
The 05th October 2009 I upgraded the language_full.zip

--

Quote from: shadowravenhawk on October 08, 2009, 01:11:51 AM
I'm trying to install v.23 on SMF 1.1.5 and the instructions say to make changes on theme default managemembers.template.php and source managemembers.php and what it says to look for isn't there. It also says to make changes to theme default languagemod.english-utf8 and there is no such page.

1.- install_1.xml?

2.- language/modification.english-utf8 is optional. If you not have this file, then ignore it.

--

Quote from: SiL on October 08, 2009, 09:25:44 AM
Yes, I had already worked out the reverse sort by ID.  But I may choose to search by (reverse ID AND less than 5 posts AND last seen more than 30 days) which will narrow down the hiding spots for dormant spammers who create accounts and lie low. They are the ones that are hiding on your member list - even without this Mod, the active spammers would have announced their presence and been detected/banned as they usually can't help themselves if they are trying to sell imitation shoes or other such items.

Many forums have lots of inactive accounts, and I'd say there's quite a few like me who start looking for mods like this after a forum has been active for some time.  So there can be quite a lot (1000+) members to be checked. And as I said, a page at a time is very, very painstaking.

For instance, the function for checking SMF forums for errors has the option to act on all errors of the same type, across multiple pages.  So how easy would it be to add this type of function to the member checking page?  whatever options one has chosen, whether a straightforward "view all members" or a special search using some criteria (like above), however many pages of results are found, a select option is available that will apply the SFS search across the whole of the found list of results, not just the first page.

Once the majority of members have been checked efficiently and speedily by the first bulk search, the method suggested by snoopy can be used for the remainder.

Ok, I will think about it. But currently do not have much time to do it.

--

Quote from: renzosan on October 09, 2009, 12:48:14 PM
I've solved the problem.

1.- Create directory '/temp' inside of packages and change CHMOD to 777.
2.- Change CHMOD to 777 of some files:
- /Themes/default/ManageMembers.template.php
   - /Themes/default/Register.template.php
   - /Sources/ManageRegistration.php
   - /Sources/ManageMembers.php
   - /Sources/Register.php
   - /Sources/Subs.php
   - /Sources/Subs-Members.php
   - /Sources/Profile.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english_british-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_es-utf8.php
   - /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.spanish_latin-utf8.php

3.- Apply mod.
4. Copy 'StopSpammer.php' to /Sources.
5. Copy 3 png's to /Themes/default/images/icons

Good :D

SiL

Hi M-DVD

found a way around the initial setup for now (needs appropriate level of admin access).

Reset the parameter for the number of members that can be viewed on a page (temporarily) to a larger number than 30 - {SMF will go up to 999} and select the "select all" when running the spam check.

{Edited now I follow the binary weighting of spammers}

will make suggestion in new post....

An easy way to clear the flag "is_spammer" in the db may also be a useful addition.

thanks

G_D_I

You having an error in Russian translate and in Ukrainian too. In these files are absent the closing quotes in last two lines in Russian and Ukrainian.
For example for Russian:
Current translate $txt['confirm_spammers_checks'] = 'Вы уверены, что хотите проверить выбраннх пользователей?;
$txt['confirm_spammers_report'] = 'Вы уверены, что хотите сообщить о выбранных пользователях?\nПодумайте, что, когда вы сообщите про пользователя в SFS его пометят как спамера во всем мире,\nи он/она не сможет использовать любой из форумов, связанных с SFS во всем мире.\n\n Сделайте это, только если вы абсолютно уверены, они спамеры и если по какой-либо причине произошли ошибки,\nрозскажите как можно скорее создателям модификации, чтобы они как можно быстрее исправили ошибку внутри SFS данных.;

Must be replaced $txt['confirm_spammers_checks'] = 'Вы уверены, что хотите проверить выбраннх пользователей?';
$txt['confirm_spammers_report'] = 'Вы уверены, что хотите сообщить о выбранных пользователях?\nПодумайте, что, когда вы сообщите про пользователя в SFS его пометят как спамера во всем мире,\nи он/она не сможет использовать любой из форумов, связанных с SFS во всем мире.\n\n Сделайте это, только если вы абсолютно уверены, они спамеры и если по какой-либо причине произошли ошибки,\nрозскажите как можно скорее создателям модификации, чтобы они как можно быстрее исправили ошибку внутри SFS данных.';

This is the Russian translate for Stop Spammer v 2.3 in attachment file.

SiL

SPAMMER CHECKING

I think I understand it a bit better now...

I noticed a number of false positives based on username only - legitimate members may be using the same username as a spammer, but of course with a different ip address and email address.
Because of dynamic IP assignment the same can be true for IP address hits.
The spam check weights the detection flag as

email address = 4
username = 2
ipaddress = 1

Doing a quick check with an offline mirror of a forum database for 300-400 entries threw up
a number of false positives - these were almost always username only or ip address only.

So my thinking is the boundary between a false positive and a real positive spammer is the value "3" . If the "is_spammer" value is 1 or 2, this is a warn, but no action required (registration allowed).  Any "is_spammer" value of 3 or higher is placed in the waiting list.

& how would this be useful? 

My suggestion would be to have a checkbox, maybe call it "strict" or "catch all" - if this is checked, an "is_spammer" value between 1 and 7 will satisfy the spammer criteria and user will be placed on waiting list to be checked/approved (this is how I understand the mod to currently work).   however...
If the "catch all" checkbox is NOT checked, only spammers with an "is_spammer" value between 3 and 7 will be put on the waiting list.
Those users who are unlucky enough to have a common username shared with a spammer, but otherwise legitimate will be allowed through as normal.

And to extend this option... to modify the Manage.members & Manage.members.template so that a quick search for users with a spammer value of 1 to 2 (warn) and 3 to 7 (spammer) can be done - (i've started to have a play with these files but my php coding is primitive, so it is just a bit of trial and error to get it right)
This way one can review the member database for alerts of users to watch. 

The underlying idea is so that legitimate users are not disadvantaged, and the admin/mod only has to go and approve/disapprove the obvious catches - in the end I think that this minor change would reduce the amount of checking and approval that a mod/admin would need to do, as it will get it right 95% of the time.

And if there was a false positive registered on the SFS site, which marked a legitimate user as a spammer (could happen), it would be nice to have an option to clear the "is_spammer" value - in the members view perhaps?

andsim

help me i cant insall stop spammer v2.3
i error message
While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.andsimforum.org/index.php?

The following error was encountered:
Zero Sized Reply

Squid did not receive any data for this request.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

jrosesr

Thank you catfished that work for me.

John

[http]www.boostherbs.com[/http]

Sudhakar Arjunan

Excellent Mod and wonderful instructions.

Installed and will spend time in analyzing the members on 255 pages of around 12000 members in my forum.

Thanks to the mod Author.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Trampasj

M-DVD ..
Hola cariño tu podrias ayudarme con este mod

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare sprintfspamer() (previously declared in /home/mundopix/public_html/pixelmaniacs/forum/Sources/Load.php(1731) : eval()'d code:527) in /home/mundopix/public_html/pixelmaniacs/forum/Sources/Load.php(1731) : eval()'d code on line 553

Tengo este fatal error cuando instale el StopSpammer en mi archivo de Load.php
Estuve mirando pero no doy con el problema os inserto la parte del error lineas..
Muchas gracias amore espero vuestra ayuda :-[

Linea 527
// Registered user.... just the groups in $user_info['groups'].
else
$user_info['query_see_board'] = '(FIND_IN_SET(' . implode(', b.memberGroups) OR FIND_IN_SET(', $user_info['groups']) . ', b.memberGroups))';
}

Linea 553

// !!! SLOW?
if (!empty($topic))
$temp = cache_get_data('topic_board-' . $topic, 120);
else
$temp = cache_get_data('board-' . $board, 120);

if (!empty($temp))
{
$board_info = $temp;
$board = $board_info['id'];
}
}

if (empty($temp))
{
$request = db_query("
SELECT
c.ID_CAT, b.name AS bname, b.description, b.numTopics, b.memberGroups,
b.ID_PARENT, c.name AS cname, IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MODERATOR,
mem.realName" . (!empty($topic) ? ", b.ID_BOARD" : '') . ", b.childLevel,
b.ID_THEME, b.override_theme, b.permission_mode, b.countPosts
FROM ({$db_prefix}boards AS b" . (!empty($topic) ? ", {$db_prefix}topics AS t" : '') . ")
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}categories AS c ON (c.ID_CAT = b.ID_CAT)
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}moderators AS mods ON (mods.ID_BOARD = " . (empty($topic) ? $board : 't.ID_BOARD') . ")
LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = mods.ID_MEMBER)
WHERE b.ID_BOARD = " . (empty($topic) ? $board : "t.ID_BOARD
AND t.ID_TOPIC = $topic"), __FILE__, __LINE__);

Muchas gracias  :-*
MKPortal C1.2 rc1
SMF 2.0.1

erlend_sh

I can't see anyone having commented on this yet, but there seems to be a duplicate mod called Stop Forum Spam, that I assume does exactly the same thing as this mod? It would be great if the two of you could get together and maintain just one mod in unison.

TurtleKicker

Any chance for an RC2 version? I use this on 1.1.10 and would hate to lose protection when I upgrade to SMF2. Thanks!

anewhobby

Quote from: sremick on November 12, 2009, 04:28:10 PM
Any chance for an RC2 version? I use this on 1.1.10 and would hate to lose protection when I upgrade to SMF2. Thanks!

DITTO

Eclipse16V

Quote from: anewhobby on November 20, 2009, 01:04:42 AM

DITTO

DITTO 2
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

DirtRider

Quote from: Eclipse16V on November 20, 2009, 03:19:50 AM

DITTO

DITTO 2

DITTO 3  ;D
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

Eclipse16V

Please update it for SMF 2.0 RC2

Thx
I worked with:
SMF 2 in German

Shop:
SID Giessen

Chaos Dragon

Quote from: DirtRider on November 20, 2009, 03:33:29 AM
Quote from: Eclipse16V on November 20, 2009, 03:19:50 AM

DITTO

DITTO 2

DITTO 3  ;D

Ditto 4 Love this mod and would really like to be able to use it for RC2
"Never stop exploring new ideas, concepts and techniques, but never forget the old ones, they just may come in handy someday!"
"Don't give up! Otherwise you do not win and nothing gets accomplished!"
Einstein "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results..."
Do Not PM me for Support. They will be Ignored. Use the Threads the have been provided.

nzbutterfly

Hi,

I really like the idea of this mod, but have trouble understanding the bottom 2 sections on the "Code" & "File Operations".

Firstly, the "File" part on "install_*.php, I just don't have such a file or know where it needs creating? Also the code quoted below seems half-missing?
QuoteINSERT IGNORE INTO
{$db_prefix}settings
(variable, value)
VALUES   ('stopspammer_count' ,'0'),
('stopspammer_enable','1'),
('stopspammer_show01','1'),
('stopspammer_faildb

Secondly, the "File Operations" part. The download/parse page dosen't have any of the 4 files mentioned. I have managed to obtain the gif's, but not the file named "StopSpammer.php". Could this code be posted to just copy & paste please?

I have read most of this forum & googled the subject to the point I have got no new results. I see serveral people have asked similar questions before & the answer is to automatically install, but on selecting any version of the mod & SMF I just get a manual version. Hence I ask the two questions above. I wondered if there was a website issue, but after trying IE6, FF2 & FF3.5 I don't think that's the case.

Looking forward to your reply,
Robert.

nzbutterfly

Sussed it out, I was missing th every subtle link for the zip file - amazing what a nights sleep does.

ferrix

Hello,
I noticed the "check this user" page is broken after I upgraded from 1.1.10 to 1.1.11

I love this plugin though, thanks for making it!

Advertisement: