News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopy_virtual

@everybody

Good news: Servers are back on line.  ;)

@Killer600

That problem only happens when you are checking just one member with the link M-DVD added in September 2009 to the profile page (the one that says "Check this member").

I thought that was sorted in the new versions I have done from 2010 onwards, but apparently there is still something wrong there. I will check it whenever I have some time.

I didn't notice it because I never use that link. To check members I go to Admin => Members => View all members, click on the ID column to sort them by ID (old ones first, new ones at the end) and then go to the last page, select just the latest members and check them.

This way it always works perfect.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

aelthric

Most definitely noticed a massive increase in attempts at signups since SFS went down, thanks to Snoopy his excellent mod places them into "awaiting approval" while SFS remains unreachable...

It is also noticeable that popular SMF forums that I know are not running this mod seem to be having problems, so all props to snoopy for at least keeping our forums with the mod installed operational...

snoopy_virtual

Thanks mate. ;)

BTW, I was yesterday so busy trying to find out why the server was not working, that I forgot to remember everybody to use FSLC manually to check if somebody is a spammer when there is no connection with the servers.

Just in case anybody doesn't know what is FSLC, it is a brilliant tool done by our friend Gunner to check if somebody is a spammer using a lot of anti-spam servers. If one or 2 of the servers are down, it's not a problem because FSLC uses a lot of them. More info and download here:

http://www.gunnerinc.com/fslcinfo.htm

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

aelthric

Thank you snoopy, I didn't know about FSLC before you mentioned it so I am now looking into clearing all those "Awaiting Approval" sign ups while SFS is down...

Once again thank you...

Do you have a plan in the future to add a facility in the Mod to seek another one of these DB's if SFS is down in the future?

Not that I am implying you haven't already done enough to help us ;D

TurtleKicker

Had not heard of FSLC before either, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, when I try to do a search, it just auto-closes so it doesn't appear to be working for me.

dougiefresh

Thank you for the wonderful mod!  I thought I'd let everybody know that when I updated my forum from 2.0 RC5 to 2.0 Gold, I had to reinstall all my mods.  This mod installed without issues and without emulation.  Hope this info helps someone!

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: aelthric on June 15, 2011, 06:34:12 AM
... I am now looking into clearing all those "Awaiting Approval" sign ups while SFS is down...

Don't understand what you mean. The API (the part of the server in charge of check and reports) has been back on for a lot of hours already.

The last time I checked the web page was still off for maintenance but the API has been working all day, so you can check the spammers with the mod.

Quote from: aelthric on June 15, 2011, 06:34:12 AM
Do you have a plan in the future to add a facility in the Mod to seek another one of these DB's if SFS is down in the future?

We have already talked here in this thread about doing a kind of "Super Anti Spam Mod" combining the way httpBL and Stop Spammer work and adding also all the rest of anti-spam DBs. I also talk a lot with Gunner, because we both work together in another community that is just dedicated to fight spammers using all the means we can find, so we have already talked there about this project I have.

But just now it's only a project for the future and I am not sure if I will ever find time to do it. My main priorities just now are the new rock band I am doing (you may have notice I changed my sig a few days ago  ;D ) and the work I have to do in Wedge.

With the band I am very busy: composing songs, practising with them, looking for musicians (we haven't got a bass player yet), doing the web site (I am the only one in the band with coding skills), etc.

With Wedge I am not so busy just now (just giving a few ideas here and there) but as soon as the first alpha version is out I will be very busy helping with the translation into Spanish, testing it in a few of my forums to help debugging it, etc.

We will see what the future brings.  ;)

Quote from: sremick on June 15, 2011, 10:38:56 AM
Had not heard of FSLC before either, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, when I try to do a search, it just auto-closes so it doesn't appear to be working for me.

It would be better if you ask that in Gunner's forum:

http://www.gunnerinc.com/board1/index.php

They will help you with that a lot better than me.

aelthric

Yeah I don't understand either, they are all still yellowed out as though the DB is still unreachable <Shrugs> it will sort itself out eventually ;D

Sorry I cannot help you with bass playing, I can make a sax sound like someone is throttling a goose if that helps ;D

Anyway I was just sort of thinking aloud textually when musing on the possibilities of the total anti spam mod, like I said you have provided us an absolutely invaluable mod already and I thank you for it ;D

Take care

aelthric

catfished

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 15, 2011, 01:48:10 PM

Don't understand what you mean. The API (the part of the server in charge of check and reports) has been back on for a lot of hours already.

The last time I checked the web page was still off for maintenance but the API has been working all day, so you can check the spammers with the mod.

Not working at all for me. They are all still yellowed out here as well, If I click on any Stop Spammer icons, I get various error messages such as "BAD GATEWAY". Obvious spammers that should be in red are not. It appears from here as if nothing to do with SS is working anymore.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

DrBermant

Quote from: catfished on June 15, 2011, 02:28:16 PM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 15, 2011, 01:48:10 PM

Not working at all for me. They are all still yellowed out here as well, If I click on any Stop Spammer icons, I get various error messages such as "BAD GATEWAY". Obvious spammers that should be in red are not. It appears from here as if nothing to do with SS is working anymore.

Select all of the yellow icon account square boxes, then choose: Check these members. If the API is working, it will process the yellow accounts and change them to red or blue. If it is not working, they will remain yellow. Clicking on any magnifier icon still is not working at this time for me either.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Encyclopedia
A Body Beautiful Plastic Surgery Forum

Adi.

is there any way to check all members?

I already have over 40k members before installing the mod.

DrBermant

Quote from: Adi. on June 15, 2011, 04:05:34 PM

The top of column box will check all those loaded on that page. But 40K requests might be a real load on a free resource to expect that many requests to be handled at one time. Anyway, if your members are not spamming you now, why do you need to check them all?  If they are spamming, then check the spammers. That makes sense to me.

However, I am not knowledgeable enough about such issues to offer a definitive response on this issue.

Hope this helps,

Micheal Bermant, M.D.
Board Certified
American Board Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Encyclopedia
A Body Beautiful Plastic Surgery Forum

whatnow

I installed this MOD   http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1516

and it worked like a charm, no more spammers for the last 6 hours!

Adi.

Quote from: DrBermant on June 15, 2011, 04:24:15 PM

The top of column box will check all those loaded on that page. But 40K requests might be a real load on a free resource to expect that many requests to be handled at one time. Anyway, if your members are not spamming you now, why do you need to check them all?  If they are spamming, then check the spammers. That makes sense to me.

However, I am not knowledgeable enough about such issues to offer a definitive response on this issue.

Hope this helps,

Micheal Bermant, M.D.

The thing is sometimes bots register for usernames and wait for days before they start spamming. So, it's hard to catch.

But, anyway thanks for the response.

This is a really great mod.

Thanks for developing and sharing it.

snoopy_virtual

If you want to see more info on the state of the SFS server you can follow it here:

https://twitter.com/#!/StopForumSpam

I have already answered that question a few times in this thread and my answer has been always what DrBermant has just told you.

Trying to check too many members at the same time can be very stressing for your server and I would not recommend it. Just need to be patience and check a few at a time.

Quote from: whatnow on June 15, 2011, 04:56:08 PM
I installed this MOD   http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1516

and it worked like a charm, no more spammers for the last 6 hours!

That mod you are talking about is the "Anti-Spam Verification Questions" I am always recommending everybody to have.

The last time I talked about it was just yesterday, here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=283309.msg3075236#msg3075236

And I even recommend it in the tutorial about mod httpBL here:
http://www.snoopyvirtualstudio.com/tutoriales/index.php?estudio=httpBL_2;language=english

Killer600

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 15, 2011, 05:46:28 AM
That problem only happens when you are checking just one member with the link M-DVD added in September 2009 to the profile page (the one that says "Check this member").

"Check this member" works correctly. Error is shown when i want to report selected users.

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: GlitchPC on June 14, 2011, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 14, 2011, 03:04:09 PM
I run out of ideas. I thought the problem had something to do with the "float".

Just one thing:

After you changed de CSS did you refresh the page a couple of times to be sure the cache of your browser was empty and was displaying the page properly?

Yes, I did...still have the same issue.  This is really frustrating...

Try changing the CSS part I added to this one instead:

.leyend_stopspammer {
background-color: #00639C;
}

Or any other colour you like.

That should do the trick. (I hope).

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: Killer600 on June 16, 2011, 04:12:19 AM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 15, 2011, 05:46:28 AM

"Check this member" works correctly. Error is shown when i want to report selected users.

That's a different error then.

You are reporting them from the "View all members" page or from "Waiting approval"?

Both pages do it in a different way and I would need to look in different places to find the error.

Killer600

Page "View all members".

GlitchPC

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 16, 2011, 05:04:28 AM
Quote from: GlitchPC on June 14, 2011, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: snoopy_virtual on June 14, 2011, 03:04:09 PM
I run out of ideas. I thought the problem had something to do with the "float".

Just one thing:

After you changed de CSS did you refresh the page a couple of times to be sure the cache of your browser was empty and was displaying the page properly?

Yes, I did...still have the same issue.  This is really frustrating...

Try changing the CSS part I added to this one instead:

.leyend_stopspammer {
background-color: #00639C;
}

Or any other colour you like.

That should do the trick. (I hope).

We have a winner!!!!  See attached...
Thanks for getting this to work...now I have one more skin to fix...and some new portal software to find...and I'll be a happy camper.

Advertisement: