News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Migration to postgres?

Started by dbodner, January 01, 2009, 11:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbodner

I have an sms 1.1X line forum running off of mysql.  My site uses postgres as a backend, and I would like to convert the forum to postgres as I'm looking to convert everything off of mysql.  Is there any tool to help accomplish this?  I think I can get the 1.1 forum updated to 2.0 beta, but I don't see anything to help in the transition from mysql to postgres.

Thanks.

vbgamer45

There is no tool currently made to transfer from mysql to postgres.

At this time only installing for SMF 2.0 to postgres is supported.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

nbviv

bumping this because I'm in the same boat. I'm wanting to move everything off of mysql. I'm currently running 2.0rc3 off of mysql, and am wanting to transfer everything over to postgres. Are there any tools for this yet?

vbgamer45

No tools have been made for this.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

rd

Any reason why you want to convert?

nbviv

Quote from: Royalduke on May 23, 2010, 09:31:46 AM
Any reason why you want to convert?
for me it's because my VPS has very little resources, so I don't want to have to run two different database engines. Since one of the 4 or so apps I run requires postgres, it makes sense to move everything over to postgres if possible.

If that one app could work in mysql, i'd switch everything over to that though. mysql has better administration/optimization tools, imo.

Norv

I am adding this script to our todo list, but to be honest I have no clue at the moment, when we can possibly take the time for it. We will consider such conversion tools in the future, though.

For the time being, you might want to take a look at various conversion tools between mysql and postgres, like:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Converting_from_other_Databases_to_PostgreSQL#MySQL
Please note however, that I don't know how good they are (this is not a recommendation, I'm afraid).
In case you want to try, it would be best to try on local installations, not online.

In case they are helpful enough to import the database, at the very least you should also run the upgrade script (for postgres) to your SMF version after trying to import the database in Postgres. (meaning you need to upload the files upgrade.php and upgrade sql for postgres from a large upgrade package, and run the upgrade.php). it should, among other things, try to add the necessary functions in Postgres that are needed by SMF's queries.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

nbviv

I think the best solution to this problem is to do what mediawiki does (and I'm sure a few other projects); have a way for site owners to export their data into an XML format. Then have a way to import data from said XML. That way you can backup your data in a more user friendly and database backend agnostic way. A nice side effect of this is a way to easily migrate between database engines.

Advertisement: