Server Busy Error - What does this mean?

Started by Absorb, January 22, 2009, 11:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absorb

Hi - I log into my forum several times a day, and for the first time I was unable - this error problem came up.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Does anyone know what this means?
Working to decrease our dependency on Fossil Fuels with Hydrogen
http://www.reduceyourfuelbill.com.au/forum

karlbenson

- check the details are still correct in Settings.php
(username/password/db location etc).

If they are correct then, it must be that SMF can't connect to the database.

Can you login to phpmyadmin?

You should then Contact your host about it.

Absorb

It is up again..... "Phew!"

This is the first time this has happened.

If it came up with a SMF error page, that must mean that the host server was OK

I have a mod for number of pages visited and the max number of visitors today was 8 so it wasn't Google burning me out.

A strange one - any ideas?

Dragooon

It is possible that your DB server overloaded and went down. Possibly a host problem.

tampaba1

My board has similar issues but, no one, not SMF nor the host, wants to take any responsibility. Each point the finger at the other. The only thing I know for sure is, since upgrading to 1.1.7 these issues seem to be a common occurrence and no one has any real answers.

I don't know about you, but to me it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that with so many support questions concerning problems with 1.1.7 that the developers would fix it before worrying about SMF2. But, I guess that requires common sense and it seems too much to ask for out the dev team.

Might have to go to some other board system if this one can't get it's act together.

www.lightamillioncandles.com
Light a candle against online child abuse!!

Dragooon

First of all, its not a SMF error. If you keep experiencing this on a regular basis then it means the DB server keeps getting overloaded and goes down, otherwise it means your DB info. is incorrect. I'd rather suggest switching hosts than boards. This is common on oversold hosts.

DirtRider

Well I had this same story at least three to four times a day. I changed my host and it has not occurred again.
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

Absorb

Here's a bit of irony.....

My host sent me an email about this problem.

There has been a problem with the database!
This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.

They ask me to contact them. It is Godaddy if anyone can comment on their reliability.

G6™

This is quite common on shared hosting, they oversell server space, and when many sites are on line and members on these sites start to use the functions the diffrent sites offer, the load against the SQL server gets to high.
All with a bit common sense would know that a highway with traffic jams when to many want to use it at the same time.

Most host with shared hosting service and low price fees are having issues with this kind of things, and they will never tell you as a customer that they have oversold their servers to keep them up for low price. they want to earn money, and you have to live with it. If you get to have long time issues, and keep sending in support tickets to your hosts about this, they will ask you to buy a dedicated server or a VPN, as that's where they start earning money.

You in other hand, have 8 to 100 users on line and you really don't have to, but they tell you that you must have a dedicated box in the end.
This is nothing more then a scam from hosts. They have shared servers, promise you loads of BW and server space, when they infact have far from the gear to actually let you have what they promise.
If you take your time and look at the diffrent hosts, and see what they offer, do you really think they can offer you 200GB of space, 10GB BW/month and lots of ram for IE 9$/month, when a dedicated box with the same spec costs 150$ ?

QuoteMight have to go to some other board system if this one can't get it's act together.

And these kind of statements are just something to laugh about, what do you expect to get ? You have so many people giving support for no pay at all, they take there free time for us members and work their buts off to make progress at the same time they give support and keep your sites safe from hacks etc.
Try out one of the paid CMS they have out their, and see if you even get half of the support from them, i know the answer as i have been there, you pay for their things, but you don't have 20% as much support as you get from here for free. Also, they have huge problems with sites getting hacked with their software.
So by all means, think what you want to think, and see what you see.
It doesn't take a genius to see all you get for free here eather   ;D

DirtRider

Quote from: Absorb on January 23, 2009, 01:31:05 AM
Here's a bit of irony.....

My host sent me an email about this problem.

There has been a problem with the database!
This is a notice email to let you know that SMF could not connect to the database, contact your host if this continues.

They ask me to contact them. It is Godaddy if anyone can comment on their reliability.

Um this is sent out from SMF not your host  ;)

Absorb

Quote from: G6™ on January 23, 2009, 02:28:05 AMYou have so many people giving support for no pay at all, they take there free time for us members and work their buts off to make progress at the same time they give support and keep your sites safe from hacks etc.

Yes - I agree - This Forum support is second to none and only made possible by people who have an unselfish desire to assist.

Top marks to SMF - May you "Live Long & Prosper"

tampaba1

Same old standard SMF rhetoric. Blame it on the host but, SMF can not explain why it didn't occur with versions 1.1.6, 1.1.5, 1.1.4, 1.1.3, etc.

FYI, it's the same host I've been using for years and the only thing that ever changed was the SMF version but, it's still my host that's causing the problem.

Yeah, right!!

clapter

Quote from: Absorb on January 22, 2009, 11:46:57 PM
It is up again..... "Phew!"

This is the first time this has happened.

If it came up with a SMF error page, that must mean that the host server was OK

I have a mod for number of pages visited and the max number of visitors today was 8 so it wasn't Google burning me out.

A strange one - any ideas?
Who is your host? I get this from time to time with ym host, but I go on their live help desk and give them a "friendly" chat and tell them to fix it or im gone, and it gets fixed usually in around .5 seconds.
Working on a Play-by-Post RPG

Dragooon

Quote from: tampaba1 on January 23, 2009, 10:15:59 PM
Same old standard SMF rhetoric. Blame it on the host but, SMF can not explain why it didn't occur with versions 1.1.6, 1.1.5, 1.1.4, 1.1.3, etc.

FYI, it's the same host I've been using for years and the only thing that ever changed was the SMF version but, it's still my host that's causing the problem.

Yeah, right!!

FYI, I've seen people with these issues occurring on older versions as well. Who is your host?

sheryltoo

I thought you might be interested to know that I too got this server busy and can't connect to database yesterday for the first time since using SMF. At least the first time that I'm aware of.

After doing a search on SMF and finding this thread that said it was a host problem, I contacted my host and they didn't say "no it's not their problem, go back to smf and have them fix it." Instead, they've been working to move accounts to different servers so we won't have this issue.
They said the move should be completed in 3-4 hours or by tonight.
Obviously they must feel it's a host issue and I'm so thankful they're doing something about it.
Sheryl

tampaba1

Quote from: Dragooon on January 24, 2009, 12:13:13 AMFYI, I've seen people with these issues occurring on older versions as well. Who is your host?
Bluehost.
BTW, I no longer have the problem since reverting back to 1.1.6.

DirtRider

I was getting this about three times a day. I change my host taking my forum as it was and placing it on my new host and I have never had the problem again. When this did occur I would got into my hosting and try and access the database via MySQL taking SMF out of the equation completely and it would give me the same error. So I would say the above all points to the host  ;D

Kiwi_Chris

Interesting, I made a change in smf and though OMG I have distroyed it.

now i find out after talking to Hostgator help chat

(7:43:29 AM)  Mycah Tu: The server you are on is under high load right now but don't worry the admins are working on it right now - you will be back to normal within an hour

so it may be a host issue after all.

Absorb

Quote from: Kiwi_Chris on February 03, 2009, 08:45:14 AMso it may be a host issue after all.

I think so - SMF is a great prog and easy enough for everyone to use. Because of this (and many more being easy to set up as well), I think it is simply that everyone must be having a crack at setting up a forum. Quite a few obviously become popular thus the busy host.

Advertisement: