News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Switch to threaded or mixed view

Started by Winters, August 04, 2003, 03:00:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Dickerson

In threaded view, don't you reply to a reply? So one would need to add a reply to reply field to messages? hmm.. not exactly sure what else needs to be done besides some theme editing. I can't really think of how threaded works all that well because I try to stay far away from it.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

[Unknown]

I know exactly how it could be done, I could even do it.  But I really would hate the effects it would have.

-[Unknown]

Joshua Dickerson

lol, I wish the world would just get over it and abolish it ;)

are you going to add it?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

King_Killa

People say they don't want it here because they don't like it. Solution: make it optional.
People say that flat users won't be able to follow the discussion. Solution: In flat mode, add "In reply to $user." and a small quote, like 50 characters in the top of each post.

Grudge

One day I may attempt this purely as I like the challenge. The only problem is it looks *really* bad on huge topics. As for method - I actually like the idea of creating another table to index the posts. This table would contains a subject column, member ID and name, a link column and maybe a preview of the message. To make it faster than getting, say, 2000 results from the messages table. Problem is I'm way too busy right now :P
I'm only a half geek really...

King_Killa

I might try to make a mod.. I'm not sure. I just installed smf for the first time, looks nice. I use to have a yabbse forum, but I decided it is about time to update :)

jorgen

I must say the Vb3 beta hybrid mode liiked really nice.
That would a nice option in SMF, I think.

Baja

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 09, 2003, 04:25:14 PM
If you look at the development forum, under the mod team, I posted a way this could be done.

-[Unknown]

I can´t find it. But I really would like to know how this can be done

/Baja

bpilgrim

hxxp:www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=102 [nonactive]

At a glance i see who is responding to who. It makes it much easier to read on long threads and doesn't take forever to load on slow connections.

So for speed, organization and user requests, I also vote for adding this feature.

BTW: Thank you for this great software :toast:

Ben_S

Threaded works fine on a threaded only board, on a mixed board though, how does it decide where to put the replies of people viewing in flat mode?
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Col

I think this would work well for some discussions, especially off topic threads. I can't see how it would work "mixed", because, as you said Ben_S, where would the replies go from a flat poster. - Unless, you read flat, but must reply in threaded! ::)

Anyway, I'd like to try this if it were available on a board-by-board basis. As I said, it might work well for off topic threads, allowing threads to develop to wherever they naturally develop. Perfect for general chat.

Advertisement: