Advanced options in Package manager SMF 2.0 RC1

Started by coucnilhomeswap, February 05, 2009, 09:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coucnilhomeswap

What do the advanced options in package manager in SMF 2.0 RC1 do. it says i can emulate packages to work with this version of SMF. what the hell does that do or mean

karlbenson

Sometimes mods are hard-coded to only work on a certain version eg 2.0 beta 3.
The advanced options / emulate bit enables you to fake/emulate that version to attempt to install the mod.
Obviously the mod still might fail to install.  But it at least allows you to attempt.

Generally you would only use this for versions in the same tree eg 1.1.x version or 2.x versions.

coucnilhomeswap

so if social bookmarks for SMF 2.0 isnt working i could click the emulate button.

coucnilhomeswap

so what do i enter in the Emulate Version: box. say if i wanted to make it think it was version 1.1.8 or something like that id put 1.1.8 in the Emulate Version: box

karlbenson

Yes, you enter the version you want it make it think it is.

However, this will only get around hard-coded version limits. So is only really going to work for versions in the same range.
Eg if your using 1.1.8, it might work for 1.1.7, 1.1.6, 1.1.5 etc.
But is almost guaranteed NOT to work for any 2.x version.

Note, this only gets past the hard-coded version limit. If the mod says 'fail' when going to uninstall, it won't change that.

greyknight17

alan1979, is this issue resolved now? If so, please mark this topic as solved.

NiC3SH0T

can i save this, because i edited my footer but now its permanently the wrong SMF. where would i go to change it back or saving it

CapadY

Quote from: NiC3SH0T on July 30, 2010, 08:57:43 PM
can i save this, because i edited my footer but now its permanently the wrong SMF. where would i go to change it back or saving it
Please, start your own topic for your own problem.

This has nothing to do with the original problem or even the topic title.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Advertisement: