Twenty-four things you can do to make SMF go faster (Updated June 16th, 2010)

Started by Vekseid, February 16, 2009, 06:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Quote from: Edward123 on December 26, 2011, 12:43:56 AM
#1 is very important, if it's the one where you let browsers cache avatar images.  I recall that SMF out of the box does not let the browser cache the avatars but instead requires php processing... which can be a huge performance hit...

That can easily be disabled. The passthrough is somewhat useful as it prevents direct calling of uploaded images which have sometimes been able to cause infections.

Quote from: Edward123 on December 26, 2011, 12:47:55 AM
By the way, a great tool for testing overall site performance is webpagetest.org (I can't post it as a link).  It shows you how long it takes for the first byte to be sent, and how long it takes for the JS and CSS files to be sent, as well as all the image files, etc.

Firebug and the developer tools built into Chrome do the same thing.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Pawan

Please help.

After using some of the general tips now my bandwidth is increasing day by day.
From 3.6 it has increased to 5.5.

Please help and let me know the cause.

青山 素子

Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

青山 素子

Quote from: pawan2002 on January 11, 2012, 07:19:13 PM
May be. But according to Google it is only 5k.

If you only use Google Analytics, you won't track everybody. The method used will only record page views but won't track images or anything that is loaded without pinging their server. Likewise, people like me that use certain privacy tools won't even show up. Same with things like bots - those don't run the Javascript required for pinging Google.
Motoko-chan

Pawan

Quote from: 青山 素子 on January 11, 2012, 10:24:08 PM
Quote from: pawan2002 on January 11, 2012, 07:19:13 PM
May be. But according to Google it is only 5k.

If you only use Google Analytics, you won't track everybody. The method used will only record page views but won't track images or anything that is loaded without pinging their server. Likewise, people like me that use certain privacy tools won't even show up. Same with things like bots - those don't run the Javascript required for pinging Google.

Any suggestion for that tool which can be easily integrated in smf without loading server.

青山 素子

Quote from: pawan2002 on January 12, 2012, 05:30:00 AM
Any suggestion for that tool which can be easily integrated in smf without loading server.

Most hosting providers offer basic statistics that use access logs recorded on the server. These will show the actual traffic on your site.
Motoko-chan

live627

For categories:

ALTER TABLE `smf_categories` ADD UNIQUE KEY (`id_cat`), DROP PRIMARY KEY, ADD PRIMARY KEY ( `cat_order`, `id_cat` ), ENGINE=InnoDB;

cocacolas

青山 素子

Quote from: cocacolas on June 20, 2012, 04:54:44 PM
Can someone tell me how many of that 24 are valids for v2.02?

Nearly all of them that are different for 2.0 have a note by them stating the difference. Most of them are general tune-up suggestions that are good for any forum software. I highly suggest actually putting your brain in gear and reading (gasp!) the first post or two in the topic.
Motoko-chan

cocacolas

Quote from: 青山 素子 on June 20, 2012, 05:22:30 PM
Quote from: cocacolas on June 20, 2012, 04:54:44 PM
Can someone tell me how many of that 24 are valids for v2.02?

Nearly all of them that are different for 2.0 have a note by them stating the difference. Most of them are general tune-up suggestions that are good for any forum software. I highly suggest actually putting your brain in gear and reading (gasp!) the first post or two in the topic.

Sorry! i'm not very good with english, i wil try again  :-[

青山 素子

Quote from: cocacolas on June 20, 2012, 05:33:08 PM
Sorry! i'm not very good with english, i wil try again  :-[

You should have mentioned that before, I wouldn't have been so abrupt in my response. Sorry, I'm just used to people not bothering to read.

In general, nearly all will help with the 2.0 series, but some small differences may exist. These have been noted in the posts.

The number one thing that you can do to make sure SMF is as fast as it can be is to use a good hosting provider. A lot of the ones out there are poor quality and they run their servers overloaded, making everyone on their hosting plans suffer.
Motoko-chan

MrMike

I had a quick question about this and after reading through the thread I still wasn't sure...so, I'm posting this for clarification.

1) Regarding the recommendation to "move the uploaded avatars directory", does this apply only to avatars that users have uploaded after installation, or to all avatars, including the contents of the /avatars directory?

2) In a brand new install of SMF, if I upload a bunch of avatars for the users to choose from, should they go into the usual /avatars directory or into a new directory, like "/forum/my_avatars" ?

3) Does the original /avatars directory remain, with directories of avatars inside it?

I guess what I'm asking can be put another way: Do I move the original /avatars directory and its contents, or create a new directory and move all the avatars to it?

live627

You'd leave the avatars dir alone, as it's reserved for the av gallery.
1) It's not retroactive.

MrMike

Quote from: live627 on June 29, 2012, 05:54:49 PMYou'd leave the avatars dir alone, as it's reserved for the av gallery.
1) It's not retroactive.

So ideally this would be done before any users have uploaded their own avatars? In other words, configure this immediately after installation?

If I understand the point of this change, it's only user-uploaded avatars that place the extra burden on the system, is that correct?

Theatre Publicity

You can also add a subdomain for images in your hosting account and simply point it back at the root domain. Change the image folder location in theme and layout settings to the new subdomain (all other data the same, just change the sub) and voila! parallel loading of image files. Sounds like you could do the same for avatars as well and maybe smileys as well (do subs for each for max impact).

Visit www.todosquepaso.com/simplemachinesforum to publicize your show or event. Purchase may be required.

Theatre Publicity

I can confirm that the subdomain trick works - at least on Godaddy.

Add subdomain to your godaddy hosting account, point it at the root domain folder where you have your SMF forum.
Change the upload URL (only) to http://subdomain.example.com/etc/etc/etc and now your avatars load in parallel rather than waiting for connection.
Visit www.todosquepaso.com/simplemachinesforum to publicize your show or event. Purchase may be required.

Paracelsus

Quote from: Theatre Publicity on December 07, 2012, 11:38:27 AM
I can confirm that the subdomain trick works - at least on Godaddy.

Add subdomain to your godaddy hosting account, point it at the root domain folder where you have your SMF forum.
Change the upload URL (only) to http://subdomain.example.com/etc/etc/etc and now your avatars load in parallel rather than waiting for connection.

Ok, could you say that again, but in small steps?

Advertisement: