News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

BotScout "BotBuster" for SMF 1.x and 2.0 Beta 4

Started by MrMike, February 27, 2009, 10:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

I think those two errors are pretty self-explanatory: either the BotScout.php file isn't in the right location or the name of the file is incorrect.

In short, it can't find the file it's being told to open.

Quote from: Bryan47 on November 12, 2012, 09:12:27 AM
2: include() [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: Failed opening '/BLAHBLAH.com/www/DOMAINTHATNEEDSBOTSCOUT.com/forum/Sources/BotScout.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')
?action=register2

2: include(/BLAHBLAH.com/www/DOMAINTHATNEEDSBOTSCOUT.com/forum/Sources/BotScout.php) [<a href='function.include'>function.include</a>]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory
?action=register2

SD-X

Quote from: SugarD-x on September 19, 2011, 04:28:45 PM
Just a heads up, the latest download version is 1.30, but in SMF 2 it reports itself as 1.1 still, and SMF 2 believes it's up-to-date, which is correct despite the wrong version number being displayed.
Aside from this still not being fixed, does anyone know if BotBuster 1.3 is working fine in SMF 2.0.3? It works great in SMF 2.0.2, so I'm assuming it should, but I haven't seen what has changed in SMF 2.0.3 yet.

NanoSector

Quote from: SugarD-x on December 17, 2012, 01:40:28 PM
Just a heads up, the latest download version is 1.30, but in SMF 2 it reports itself as 1.1 still, and SMF 2 believes it's up-to-date, which is correct despite the wrong version number being displayed.
Aside from this still not being fixed, does anyone know if BotBuster 1.3 is working fine in SMF 2.0.3? It works great in SMF 2.0.2, so I'm assuming it should, but I haven't seen what has changed in SMF 2.0.3 yet.
Most if not all mods from 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 should work fine on 2.0.3 :)
If it says that the package is corrupt you may want to look into Version Emulation.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

MrMike

As far as I'm aware it works correctly in all 2.x versions.

SD-X

Quote from: MrMike on December 17, 2012, 04:54:21 PM
As far as I'm aware it works correctly in all 2.x versions.
Awesome!

Quote from: Yoshi2889 on December 17, 2012, 03:26:54 PM
Quote from: SugarD-x on December 17, 2012, 01:40:28 PM
Most if not all mods from 2.0, 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 should work fine on 2.0.3 :)
If it says that the package is corrupt you may want to look into Version Emulation.
I thought of that too. I just wanted to be certain before I tried installing it directly in case someone had any issues. I'm trying my best to avoid emulation for a variety of reasons. :P

eattheword

I just installed this on a new SMF 2.0.7 forum and while it certainly seems to block bots it also prevents all legitimate users from signing up. I did a test myself and tried to register a new user. After I entered the captcha information and hit 'submit' I got a page showing 'error'. Once I removed BotBuster I was able to register as a new user as normal.

Any ideas?

MrMike

No idea, unfortunately.

As far as we're aware it is reported to work properly with SMF 2.0x, all versions. It's possible that one or more of the other mod packages you have installed might be clashing, but that's just a guess.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you don't have "check username" option turned on. That's only useful in a few select instances and isn't recommended for 99.9% of users.

Quote from: eattheword on June 07, 2014, 06:15:24 PM
I just installed this on a new SMF 2.0.7 forum and while it certainly seems to block bots it also prevents all legitimate users from signing up. I did a test myself and tried to register a new user. After I entered the captcha information and hit 'submit' I got a page showing 'error'. Once I removed BotBuster I was able to register as a new user as normal.

Any ideas?

Kissaki

Breaks registration, verified on 2.0.7 and 2.0.8.
When one tries to submit the registration form, it displays a "an error occured" page, yet no error description.

MrMike

Is there any entry in the error log?

Quote from: Kissaki on June 28, 2014, 06:28:24 PM
When one tries to submit the registration form, it displays a "an error occured" page, yet no error description.

Kissaki

Quote from: MrMike on June 28, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
Is there any entry in the error log?

Quote from: Kissaki on June 28, 2014, 06:28:24 PM

No, there was no error in the webservers/php error log.

/e:
Actually, installed the mod again from the still-existant files, to make sure I rememberred correctly and no errors are logged.
Just, this time, registration seems to work. I will keep an eye on it.

Kissaki

So apparently there is some kind of limit to the used API, which results in ALL registrations fail without a specific error.
In the backend, a general error is logged without ANY information, and an undefined error with a note "Anonymous hit limit reached for IP Address 108.162.254.208.<br>Why not get an <a href='/getkey.htm'>API key</a>? It's free, and it'll allow you to perform a larger number of bot-screening lookups each day.<br><strong>If you aren't the webmaster for this domain, please tell them about this error message."
which is not even clear where it comes from.

That's really bad.
Unusable like it is. If it can't reach or use the third party API it uses, it should fail silently and simply allow registrations. This way, you are dependant on a third party site entirely. They can stop your forum from functioning correctly.

Arantor

The same argument is kind of true for Stop Forum Spam or any of the others though, for the same reason...

Kissaki

What? I don't get what you're saying.

So, is there any way to actually set a botscout API key? I could not find an option.
Otherwise, registration tries is limited to 20 queries a day - which is way too low if you're in production, with bots trying to register.

Arantor

I have no idea off hand.

I'm pointing out that other mods that use third party services have the exact same problem: you are at their mercy.

This is why I don't use third party services at all, and simply use my own CAPTCHA (on the mod site), my misc anti spam mod (on the mod site) and well written Q&A (built in, more powerful version on the mod site)

MrMike

Quote from: Kissaki on September 14, 2014, 09:14:47 AMSo apparently there is some kind of limit to the used API, which results in ALL registrations fail without a specific error.

BotScout returns an error and it's up to the plugin author what to do at that point, whether to display the default error or a custom one that contains more information. You can edit the message yourself if you like in the language file (or in the code itself if the plugin author has not provided a separate set of text strings for the mod).

Quote from: Kissaki on September 14, 2014, 09:14:47 AMUnusable like it is. If it can't reach or use the third party API it uses, it should fail silently and simply allow registrations.

Well, think about that for a moment. If it were to simply allow registrations after running out of queries, any spammer or bot could simply hammer your registration form until you ran out of queries and then proceed to create an unlimited number of accounts. The denial of registration when the site runs out of queries is by design, not by accident. Nearly all web services that use an API key work in a similar manner- when the limit is reached, things stop working.

Quote from: Kissaki on September 14, 2014, 09:14:47 AMThis way, you are dependant on a third party site entirely. They can stop your forum from functioning correctly.

As Arantor pointed out, the same is true for virtually all similar services. So, yes, if you use a third-party service you're dependent on a that service to some degree.

I personally am not a huge fan of third-party services but sometimes it's the only practical way to implement a feature. The basic BotScout database is 45+ megs, and is updated every few minutes. Downloading a dataset like that and keeping it current just isn't practical in most situations. (Daily updates would be almost useless as most spammers mint new email addresses and switch IPs every few minutes these days.)

As for the API key, it's free and it allows 300 free queries per day. There is a place to use the key, and depending on the plugin it's either a form field or in the plugin code itself.

Arantor

In any case even if it were a once-a-day download, SMF's package manager and some of the URL-fetching routines in SMF would choke on 45MB.

landyvlad

No activity on thios thread for years - does it work properly these days ? SMF 2.0.15 ?
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

-Rock Lee-

Quote from: landyvlad on December 17, 2018, 05:08:24 AM
No activity on thios thread for years - does it work properly these days ? SMF 2.0.15 ?

it would have to work ... botscout.com still standing and apparently active. I will try to take time to give you a more secure answer, excuse me.

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

landyvlad

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

MrMike

As far as I know it works properly on SMF 2.x.

If you find it doesn't, please let me know and we'll look into it.

The BotScout file doesn't rely on any special functions in SMF, it simply intercepts the request to register a new user, checks the BotScout database, and returns the result.

Quote from: landyvlad on December 17, 2018, 05:08:24 AMNo activity on thios thread for years - does it work properly these days ? SMF 2.0.15 ?

Advertisement: