PECL Memcached Support

Started by Ensiferous, December 01, 2009, 05:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ensiferous

Link to Mod

This mod adds additional memcached support in the form of the PECL memcached plugin whereas SMF currently only supports PECL memcache. (note lack of d at the end)
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

steve51184

can we get a little more info on PECL memcached? like why it's better then PECL memcache thanks :)

KensonPlays

Yes, more detail would tell me if I want/need this on my site.

Ensiferous

This is sort of a "If you don't know what it is you don't need it".

But since I have a bit of time: PECL Memcached is to PECL Memcache as PHP 5 is to PHP 4. It's newer, faster and has more features. It was created in response to unsolved bugs in the older PECL Memcache extension which did not seem likely to get fixed. It's based on the libmemcache c-library so it's standardized to work exactly like other clients in other languages will, not that many PHP developers will care about this at all.

Basically I modified SMF to support this because I needed it, if you already have PECL Memcache installed and running then don't bother with it.

tectonny

You must have some plugin installed on the server? What?

Ensiferous

Quote from: tectonny on December 20, 2011, 09:34:46 AM
You must have some plugin installed on the server? What?

Yes. This is mod adds an additional caching engine to SMF that requires a custom PHP module, if you do not have this module then you don't need it and should just use the default cache engine!

tectonny

I have dedicated server, what is the module to be installed?

Ensiferous

If you only have a single server then you'd be just fine with APC if you have that, if not then you need the following module: http://pecl.php.net/package/memcached plus http://libmemcached.org/libMemcached.html

I'd honestly recommend that you start out with the APC content cache instead unless you're comfortable with server management.

spiros

Has anybody tested this mod with 2.0.19? I installed it but I can see no way to verify whether it works (Still get "SMF has not been able to detect a compatible accelerator on your server" in Caching options)

Advertisement: