Characters displayed as (?) question mark.

Started by Aravot, March 08, 2005, 08:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aravot

I am trying to translate SMF into Armenian language, everything is fine until I save the document when I reopen it the characters are changed to (?) question mark, any ideas, work around, help is appreciated. I use dreamweaver.

Aravot

[Unknown]

I bet it's changing the character set.  What character set does it save as?

-[Unknown]

Aravot

Maybe Armenian is not supported and I am torturing myself for nothing but I'll try again.

This is what I did.

Opened index.english.php in dreamweaver and started translating into Armenian

after saving the file and reopening it, all Armenian characters are turned in question mark (?),

the character set is Western European, if I change it to UTF-8 all Armenian characters disappear and can not type in Armenian anymore

changing character set back to Western European, characters reappear but than when saved characters change to (?) question mark, I don't know how to get around if anyone can help please reply.

thank you

[Unknown]

That's the file itself.  You need to save the file as UTF-8 or UTF-16 in a character set aware text editor; Notepad can do this, for example.

I don't know that Dreamweaver support that, but if it does it'd probably be in options under the file or in the save as dialog.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: