News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Add Favicon Support

Started by Deprecated, August 13, 2008, 01:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shambles

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Shambles on March 08, 2013, 01:07:57 PM
Yep - looks ok

Ok, thx... so it's just a cache thing for me then.

I thought CTRL F5 would work for IE but doesn't seem to have. Either way don't matter too much for me so long as it works for others.

Am curious though whats up on my end heh
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

Deprecated

This mod is scheduled for an update in the very near future to be compatible with SMF 2.0.6.

As far as I remember Ctrl-F5 works fine in IE (and Firefox). Yes you have to refresh your cache to see the effect of the change.

Deprecated

Verified operational with SMF 2.0.9.

Deprecated

The latest version of this modification has just been updated to utilize integration hooks. Thus, there should be no possibility of cross modification incompatibility or other problems.

It is expected that this modification is with all SMF 2.0 versions and is likely to be compatible with SMF 2.1 versions too.

Shambles

Is this functionality even relevant these days?

I thought all standard browser cores implemented root favicon support.

Deprecated

Thank you for your reply. Evidently I spent 3-4 hours wasting my time updating this modification to be compatible with SMF 2.0.x and SMF 2.1.x.

It feels good to have my work appreciated.

dementual

Thanks for the mod, I couldn't figure out how to get favicons working but this cleared it up for me. I appreciate it a lot.

Deprecated

Thanks dementual. Actually IIRC this is one of my fist mods. I can't understand why SMF hasn't incorporated it into the code base, maybe 2.1.

All this mod does is include the necessary header lines to tell browsers to fetch your favicon. Most browsers do this automatically so this mod is somewhat dated, but I still use it. Just recently a member of one of my forums asked why we had no favicon even with the mod. I guessed he had a primitive browser.

Perhaps the links in the OP telling you how to create a favicon may be more useful than the mod itself! :)

Kindred

Because it is not necesarry...  Just adding the favicon file to the root directory is all that is needed. The line in the template is not actually needed
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

Kindred, read the mod OP for my tutorial on GETTING a favicon.ico. MOST modern browsers automatically search for favicon.ico. Let's not disappoint them. Leading a horse to drink won't make him water. It's better to have the declarations in the HEAD section.

And if nothing else anybody who reads this topic can get a brief tutorial on how to make a favicon.ico and links to sites to help them create favicons.

And if we want to be blunt about it, this mod is probably not needed, but if you weeded the Custom Site you'd have a lot of disappointed mod authors who found their ranking drop, perhaps drastically, perhaps particularly if you weeded all 1.x mods out. (This mod is both 1.x and 2.x friendly.)

Most us mod authors get not much except prestige of the number of mods we have written and the sweat we expended. I think this may have been my first mod.

Please, don't ridicule your mod authors. Respect and prestige is all we work for. Donations? LOLOLOL!

Weed out all the mods that have been passed on by the future and you'll discourage mod authors from making any more mod package submittals. Just today I am looking to remediate my "Look But No Read" mod that was very popular until a small security issue sidelined it.

To my thinking, you should encourage mod package authors instead of ridiculing their contributions as "not necessary." Maybe it isn't necessary but it does help, and I run this mod to even today on my production site, just in case it helps some.

So make fun of my mod of you wish. Discourage me from writing more. Go read the "Death of SMF" topic and enjoy yourself. Frankly I think you are not being very diplomatic.

In other topics I respect you but you should not ridicule mod authors, particularly in their own mod topics, lest they just go away in dejection.

Then what'cha gonna do? Let the devs write all the mods?

Kindred

I didn't ridicule you... You asked why this was not already added to smf core in a somewhat snide tone...  I answered why...  It's not needed.

If folks want to use it, sure... It won't hurt, but it's not necesarry
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Deprecated

I apologize if my tone seemed snide. I did not intend to offend anybody.

tornix

guys how to make this work? there is no option to set url or what?
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1329

lurkalot

Quote from: tornix on October 30, 2016, 08:16:02 AM

Wouldn't have thought you'd need a mod nowadays, just upload the Favicon to your forum root, most browsers will pick it up, even if it takes a while.

Irisado

Quote from: tornix on October 30, 2016, 08:16:02 AM

In future, please post questions regarding a mod in its support topic, rather than raise a five year old topic in Tips and Tricks.  Merged into mod support topic.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Deprecated

Since this topic keeps coming up in my new topic notifications, I feel motivated to offer a few final words. I hope this will end discussion on the topic since I feel there is no justification for further discussion.

Yes modern browsers look for your favicon. No they don't always find it. Yes, some people use obsolete browsers (for whatever reason) and it helps their browsers. No, it is not necessary if you are using a modern browser. Yes, whenever I access my websites using FF, IE, Opera or Safari I always see an access to my favicon. No, I don't know what they would do if the express declaration of where the favicon is located if I didn't use this mod in all my sites. Yes, I would expect if you have a favicon that modern browsers will eventually find yours. No, I don't believe they will find it all the time without one, two or more accesses to find out the true URL and snap it up in the first access.

So to sum it up, this mod is probably unnecessary with modern browsers although people still use old browsers and it may help those who use old browsers, and to a degree it may help more modern browsers by explicitly telling them with one access exactly where your favicon is located, but chances are that it probably will make no practical difference to those who run the latest browser versions and have their websites organized that the favicon is located where modern browsers expect to find it.

As a last word, you still have to MAKE a favicon in order to have one, and my references for the mod have good suggestions on sites that help you easily design your own favicons particularly if you opt for the most minimal favicon.

And as a last, last word :) I think this might have been the first mod I ever wrote, or near it, so I kind of like it just because it was my introduction into what became for a time me being one of the top mod package authors (I peaked at #3, behind Karl Benson of course) so back in the day I wrote it, it was relevant to many although today it may be simply a vestige or at best an accelerator to get a browser to the right favicon first access.

So for those who use it I hope you like it or find it useful, and for the rest all I can say is that if you don't need it, move on.

I hope this will be the final word on this modification. I don't see any further need to use it. But for the record, I still use it on my production site, it works fine, and I believe that it is still useful even in the context of the latest SMF 2.0.x release.

Advertisement: