News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help files

Started by Amacythe, November 21, 2003, 09:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amacythe

How about some detailed help files about the options on the board?

I for one was too naive to click the "dump database" in my admin cp.  I was afraid it would "dump" the database not download, but throw it away.

Jeff Lewis

Heh, yeah you think they would have choosen a different word than "dump". I remember seeing that in phpmyadmin for the first time :)
Co-Founder of SMF

PeterL

Quote from: Amacythe on November 21, 2003, 09:33:53 AM
How about some detailed help files about the options on the board?

Yeah I agree... I'm a newbie as well and just too chicken to change much.

As I understand it, this is coming, but since this IS a beta version, we have to be patient.

Unknown installed mine and its worked flawlessly ever since, so, I cannot complain. But then my board only has about 30 users. There ARE folks here running the beta version with hundreds of users and callers. So, there is a lot of confidence in this software.

I'm looking forward to when there's a detailed help file that I can print out and put on my shelf. I've gotten pretty good results here asking questions, but its not the same. I like to step my way through a procedure..

Killer Possum

"Dump" means backup?? Wow you learn something every day, I too thought it ment to delete the database :P

Gobalopper

It is called backup database now, it goes something like this:

QuoteForum Maintenance - Backup Database
-Save the table structure.
-Save the table data. (the important stuff.)
-Compress the file with gzip.
Download

Amacythe

Excuse me, but the question wasn't about database dump.  That was merely an example.  My question is about detailed help files; will there be detailed help files for SMF?

Gobalopper

That was just an example of one of the changes. In general help has been improved and still is being improved.

Amacythe

Advertisement: