News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

A Simple Newsletter Template Using HTML Tags

Started by EZ1, April 04, 2009, 01:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ1

This is a simple newsletter template using HTML tags to easily keep your members up to date with you SMF newsletter system

<html>
<body>

<table align="center" border="2" cellspacing="6" cellpadding="9" width="640" >
<tr>
<td bgcolor="cornsilk">

<table bgcolor="gold" width="90%" align="center"><tr><td align="center">
<b>
<font size="5" color="brown">Title Of Newsletter</font>
<br>
<font size="2" color="black">January 01, 2000 &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Issue #123 </font>
</b>
</td></tr></table>

<br>
Welcome! Here is your subscription!<br>
Unsubscribe instructions for "Newsletter Title Here" are at the end.

<br><br><br>
<table bgcolor="gold" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td><font size="4" color="brown">In This Issue</font></td></tr></table>
<br>
Feature Article &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Related Articles <br>
What's New<br>
Guest Article<br>
Classifieds<br>
Feedback

<br><br><br>
<table bgcolor="gold" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">Feature Article</font>
</td></tr></table>
<br>
blah blah goes here - usually more than one ?

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">What's New</font>
</td></tr></table>
<br>
blank if no new news - but it could also contain a link to the current meeting minutes - depends on the type of web site.

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">Guest Article</font>
</td></tr></table>
<br>
blank if no article for this period

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">Classified (or Sponsors)</font> </td></tr></table>
<br>
Forum Link (to the onsite forum)<br>
Forum would contain Classified Section (and Sponsors Information for some types of web sites). <br> i.e. this section could be a link to an online Forum - or the info could be included in this section of the newsletter.

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">Feedback Form</font>
</td></tr></table>
<br>
A link to the Feedback Forum Section.
<br> i.e. this section could be a link to an online Forum - or a form could be embedded in the online page - or it could just be an email link (mailto).

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">Subscription and Archive</font>
</td></tr></table>
<br>
How to Subscribe (could be link to 'tell-a-friend' form)<br>
How to Unsubscribe<br>
Link to Newsletter Archives

<br><br><br>
<tr><td>
<font size="4" color="brown">About:</font> 'Newsletter Site Name Here' </td></tr></table>
<br>
Your Signature File or Name<br>
Your Email Address<br>
Your City, State Zip<br>
Your Phone <br>
Your Newsletter URL<br>
</td></tr>
</table>
</body></html>

for a example of how it looks put in in your newsletter and email to yourself

thezkitten

thank you!!!
this is a godsend, i've spent the past 3 days googling trying to figure out how to code the newsletter right!

thank you!! :D
http://zkitten.com  :|:  http://chaoticlycreative.com  :|:  http://etsysteamteam.com [nofollow]

Lots O Smileys not working for you? This may be it!  Also, Need to Show Custom Fields in Memberlist? this could help! (for 1.1.x)

howielockins

;) yah that's was cool! thanks for sharing useful info dude.

Chas Large

Brilliant, like all the best ideas, simple and effective. Thank you.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

58tbird

Thank you for the nice template ;)

Is there a way to insert links (to posts, etc.) in the newsletter?

I tried using <a href="url">Link text</a> but when I sent myself a sample newsletter, it has no link in the text.

Chas Large

Quote from: 58tbird on July 28, 2009, 06:57:38 PM
Thank you for the nice template ;)

Is there a way to insert links (to posts, etc.) in the newsletter?

I tried using <a href="url">Link text</a> but when I sent myself a sample newsletter, it has no link in the text.
I use this code in my newsletter.

<a href="http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk">www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk</a> and it works just fine. When you copy the code into the newsletter box you must make sure you select the Send as HTML check box. I also UnCheck the Add <BR> box as the template provides sufficient formatting.

I found editing this as a text file is fraught with the usual problems caused by code errors so I edit mine in Frontpage (Any WYSIWYG Page editor will work). Then I copy the page code into SMF.

HTH
Chas.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

58tbird

Thank you Chas  :)

I don't remember if I checked/unchecked HTML/Add<BR>.  I'll try that later and see if that does the trick...since your code is the same as mine (I just didn't use a real life example), hopefully that's all that's needed.  I appreciate your advice!

58tbird

Yep - that did it!  I must have checked/unchecked the wrong boxes last time.  Thank you Chas  ;)

KensonPlays

Thanks! I posted a topic: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=355988

and read it, i would like to change default newsletter template to this with a few color changes, etc...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Uhura!

How do I add a line to separate a particular section.

Right now I used
----------------------------------------------

How do I get a nicer line?

Also: Why would the newsletter function send two copies of the newsletter to certain recipients?
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Jue

I have tried using this template for a newsletter. However, when sending it to myself it appears differently in my emails.

Any idea why it won't show correctly?

Harrison jess

Wow a nice thing have been shared by you here but still i have a small question can we do this by using the div tage instead of the table as im not so good in handling the table so can i use divs there.
hxxp:www.k9stud.com/viewalldogs.aspx/ [nonactive]

Advertisement: