News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[TIP/TRICK] Membergroup Images Instead of Name

Started by jblazeofek, April 27, 2009, 12:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N i g h t m a r e

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 11, 2014, 03:55:01 PM
Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on April 03, 2013, 07:31:31 PM
PLEASE DON'T USE IT.

In case you didn't read the tips, this can seriously damage your forum requiring manual database changes to fix.

Well it worked perfectly for me, I wonder why? That's pretty odd if it didn't work for anyone else

Arantor

That's why I said *CAN* as opposed to *WILL*. There are places it will guaranteed not work properly (e.g. go to someone's profile and try to change the primary group of a user), and under some circumstances it can prevent you actually changing group configuration on a more permanent basis.

I should add, while I don't expect to change the code in 2.1, 3.0 WILL BREAK THIS PERMANENTLY.

N i g h t m a r e

Quote from: Sir Cumber-Patcher on January 11, 2014, 04:23:06 PM
That's why I said *CAN* as opposed to *WILL*. There are places it will guaranteed not work properly (e.g. go to someone's profile and try to change the primary group of a user), and under some circumstances it can prevent you actually changing group configuration on a more permanent basis.

I should add, while I don't expect to change the code in 2.1, 3.0 WILL BREAK THIS PERMANENTLY.

Would it work any better if there was a Mod for such a thing?

Arantor

Technically it's actually a security risk to have this but the size of the field limits the 'worst case scenario' (it's hard to weaponise it to an actual security risk, but we still get reports every so often that it is a persistent-type XSS hole that should be fixed, but it's because of the number of people who use this 'tip' that I can't just change it)

All groups need to have a regular textual name for all the places that a regular textual group name is needed (any dropdown, amongst others), and really what you're saying is that you just need a mod to change the way the thread and maybe profile displays the group's name.

Illori

actually it has been changed in 2.1 already, and html in the username field does not get parsed out any longer.

Arantor

JBlaze

Feel free to delete this topic if it's causing trouble. At the time I wrote it, I was unaware of the possible outcomes of it.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Oshiego

Instead of actually replacing the Name as said with the image link.

You can change the staradmin.gif to another icon and put the number of stars to 1. That'll do the trick too. And it won't screw up the name.

Advertisement: