News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Theme] Aqua Soft.org skin ported to SMF :)

Started by Nightwish, March 17, 2005, 10:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

Nightwish

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 13, 2005, 09:29:23 PM
No, it shouldn't have a subfolder....

http://support.simplemachines.org/docs/themes.packaging.php

-[Unknown]
Thanks, fixed and re-uploaded the archive. It's now without its own subfolder.
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
EoS - SMF-based forum under development.

Nightwish

Quote from: Aravot on April 13, 2005, 09:29:00 PM
Installed the theme on/in SMF 1.1 beta 1 http://www.peterosipof.com/smf/index.php, seems OK but didn't look thoroughly

Well, I guess that some new features of SMF 1.1 will not be available with this theme. But overall, it look ok - didn't find any "hard" display errors.
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.

music_man

Hi

Your theme looks superb. Just to clarify, is this theme is ok to upload legally - no copyright issues?

Thanks!

Nightwish

Quote from: music_man on April 14, 2005, 01:14:30 AM
Hi

Your theme looks superb. Just to clarify, is this theme is ok to upload legally - no copyright issues?

Thanks!
Nope. I have created the "glass" buttons myself, other images are mostly default SMF. The questionable icons for the navigation bar (which you can see on my forum) are not included in the archive, because they really look like they were ripped 1:1 from OS X (so redistributing them might be a bad idea).

music_man

If you made the images, does it matter that they look like OS X?

bloc

Very nice theme, nightwish. Tried it out and I am impressed. :)

A very minor detail might be the use of cookies for the upshrinks and the categories..they won't be remembered on another machine. Thats why I love the SMF approach, the upshrink javascript routine actually saves the state in the database. Categories are a roundtrip, but it also saves it there.

But thats not criticism of a good theme, just an observation.

The pre-made support for some mods is admirable. Points for that! :) (maybe something to think about myself...)

nothing_special

You look like you're JS and DHTML knowledgable. Do you think you can do something like the DHTML Menus in VB3?

Nightwish

Quote from: Bloc on April 14, 2005, 03:59:26 AM
Very nice theme, nightwish. Tried it out and I am impressed. :)

A very minor detail might be the use of cookies for the upshrinks and the categories..they won't be remembered on another machine. Thats why I love the SMF approach, the upshrink javascript routine actually saves the state in the database. Categories are a roundtrip, but it also saves it there.
Yes, I know that using DHTML for this purpose has some disadavantages. It has one single advantage though - no page reload necessary when collapsing / expanding groups.

For categories, it should be possible to make this configurable - the default SMF method for collapsing / expanding categories would still work with my theme. In fact, if you collapse categories with the default theme and then switch to my aqua theme, it still offers the old link to expand that categories. This was needed, because otherwise the dhtml approach won't work - SMF doesn't load a category when it was collpased in the database.

However, I'am sure it should be possible to save the collapse state to the db and still use dhtml for expanding / collapsing categories and sections though - but I don't think it can be done without changing the source code (which I didn't want).

bloc

Good point. But the default upshrink routine does exactly the same as yours in instant collapsing, it just don't store it in cookies as well - only in database. Or I haven't figured out if it can...  ::)

Either way has pros/cons I guess. :)

Nightwish

Quote from: nothing_special on April 14, 2005, 04:35:23 AM
You look like you're JS and DHTML knowledgable. Do you think you can do something like the DHTML Menus in VB3?
I think so. I'll most likely make them "look" a bit different (don't like the idea of copying stuff 1:1), and using a different approach, but the result should be comparable.

dtm.exe

I get this error message when switching to this theme on SMF 1.0.3.

QuoteUnable to load the 'main_above' template.

-Dan The Man

Rob

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on April 14, 2005, 03:05:17 PM
I get this error message when switching to this theme on SMF 1.0.3.

QuoteUnable to load the 'main_above' template.

-Dan The Man

Same here! on SMF 1.0.3!

Great theme! Look forward to getting it to work.

Rob

NayNay

I had the same problem (with 1.1 beta) and then loaded the theme manually and it worked  :D

Nightwish

DHTML menus basically working :)

They are not animated and I'am not sure if I really want them animated. But they are working for the thread and rating menu.

P.S. Thanks to the buttongenerator for the "mini" images. I hope, it's ok to use them, otherwise I'll probably find some others.

Rob

Looks great! I can't wait. I love quality themes!

My only problem with this one is that I can't see the scroll bar when I am posting a new thread????

Rob

Aravot

Quote from: Nightwish on April 14, 2005, 10:32:17 PM
DHTML menus basically working :)

They are not animated and I'am not sure if I really want them animated. But they are working for the thread and rating menu.

P.S. Thanks to the buttongenerator for the "mini" images. I hope, it's ok to use them, otherwise I'll probably find some others.

Where do you enable DHTML menus

Nightwish

nothing_special

I hope you can get HOTEDITOR to work with this...
That would be cool  8)
It won't be able to mimic the VB look though...

Also...
Nice DHTML menus ;)
Do you plan to copy the cool transitions on the menus too?

Nightwish

Quote from: nothing_special on April 15, 2005, 01:29:00 AM
I hope you can get HOTEDITOR to work with this...
That would be cool  8)
It won't be able to mimic the VB look though...
Nope. That WYSIWYG stuff is more complex than most people think - at least, if it's done properly. Parsing and sanitizing the HTML output (which is different, depending on the browser in use) isn't something you can do in a few lines of code.

I've done it for another forum software, and it was pretty scary - just look at the vB3 code (if you can, no idea) how complex this stuff can be. Any other solution (like allowing html for posting) is not an option if you care about security.

Also, if I would do it, I would use another editor, maybe tinyMCE which seems to be pretty cool (and fully Open Source).
QuoteAlso...
Nice DHTML menus ;)
Do you plan to copy the cool transitions on the menus too?
Most likely not.. Basically, I don't like these animations, but maybe just for fun. We'll see. It's only a few lines of js.

Advertisement: