News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Server Maintenance Friday, 05/15/09

Started by dschwab9, May 14, 2009, 04:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwab9

I have plans to implement a light weight http server on a separate machine to serve static content (images, css, etc). I don't see us migrating away from apache for the dynamic content though.

Blind Bandit

Quote from: dschwab9 on May 16, 2009, 12:45:02 AM
I have plans to implement a light weight http server on a separate machine to serve static content (images, css, etc). I don't see us migrating away from apache for the dynamic content though.

Understandable.  Thanks for all the hard work.

Ashdaw

Thanks for the heads up. :) Nice to see that the site is looked after by such dedicated people
You are more than welcome to visit my site.
Greycastle

Kenny01

Vaѕh

Quote from: dschwab9 on May 14, 2009, 08:05:58 PM
Quote from: groundup on May 14, 2009, 07:37:59 PM
Derek, does that mean no site at all or the forum in maintenance mode?

No site at all. The servers will be physically in my car being moved, and I don't have a cat5 cable long enough to move them running  ;D

If it's a few miles you'd be limited to.. what.. 300 feet anyway? :p  *gives dschab9 a fiber cable and some repeaters*
Andrew Berquist

vbgamer45

Great work! That was fast and smooth.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

uberjon

Quote from: Blind Bandit on May 16, 2009, 12:41:39 AM
Just out of curiosity has SMF thought about using lightspeed web sever to reduce load?

Also I hope you didn't have to much work to do.

Do all that by yourself seems rather hard.

well in my opinion, doing that on the SMF site while apache is still so popular isn't the best of ideas.. afterall the SMF home site is the last place a "build" is tested on the teams side, before closed beta etc..

doing so could perhaps leave a bug or something for a larger population?

or if i have things mixed up (like what kind of issues a different webserver software could cause) it could at the least trick the team into thinking there is a bug when its really lightspeed?

Blind Bandit

Quote from: uberjon on May 17, 2009, 09:12:00 PM
Quote from: Blind Bandit on May 16, 2009, 12:41:39 AM
Just out of curiosity has SMF thought about using lightspeed web sever to reduce load?

Also I hope you didn't have to much work to do.

Do all that by yourself seems rather hard.

well in my opinion, doing that on the SMF site while apache is still so popular isn't the best of ideas.. afterall the SMF home site is the last place a "build" is tested on the teams side, before closed beta etc..

doing so could perhaps leave a bug or something for a larger population?

or if i have things mixed up (like what kind of issues a different webserver software could cause) it could at the least trick the team into thinking there is a bug when its really lightspeed?

The issue wouldn't be bugs.  The issue would be if something wasn't available as an option in litespeed.  Such as a module or option.  But litespeed can reduce load.  And resoruce usage.  There also other free options too.  But I don't want to drag this topic off course.

tooman

Stallyon

Duuh...We moved? I didn't even notice. I was asleep.
Kris Bell
Dahulu Tim Penerjemah Bahasa Indonesia (Former Indonesian Translation Team)
stallyon@bigpond.com

Tidak menerima pesan pribadi (PM) jika tidak diminta (no unsolicited private messages)

Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.

Sudhakar Arjunan

Quote from: dschwab9 on May 16, 2009, 12:45:02 AM

Good work, is it separated dschwab9.
Working on New Mods & Themes for SMF... Will update soon... My Blog page
My Smf forum : Discuss ITAcumens :: My SMF Forum

Advertisement: