News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Mark Messages as read Doesn't work

Started by lupus, May 18, 2009, 05:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lupus

Well title pretty much says it all.

using version 1.1.8 and when i click on Mark all messages read it refreshes as normal and then when it comes up i still have the same marker's in the main forum showing stuff to be read.

If i go into a particular area that it says ahs messages there are no new one's there at all.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just out of curiosity, have you tried forcing a refresh on the index page after you have marked all posts read? ( On IE and FF this should be CTRL+F5 )

Also are you using some cache on the forum?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lupus

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 05:25:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you tried forcing a refresh on the index page after you have marked all posts read? ( On IE and FF this should be CTRL+F5 )

Yes done this even emptied out my log's as well but as all the user's of the forum to date have been saving the same thing i hope its not all of us being stupid..Well i hope ;)

The only caches i can see are the site Index's for things like related Topic and the such. Do you think it might be wise to drop them and then restart them up?

annikk.exe

I have a similar problem with my forum.  It is 1.1.8 as well.  When I click "Mark as Unread", I get an error message:

"Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again."

Needless to say I've tried the suggestion.  Also I've tried clearing all private data in Firefox.  Other users of my forum are reporting this problem too.

I believe in my case it's related to the theme I am using, which was originally designed for version 1.0.x
I have a version designed for 1.1.x that I've been pulling individual files out of to spot fix problems. 
Can anyone give me some indication of which file I ought to replace to fix this particular issue?  :>

-Annikk

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: lupus on May 18, 2009, 07:39:05 AM

Yes done this even emptied out my log's as well but as all the user's of the forum to date have been saving the same thing i hope its not all of us being stupid..Well i hope ;)

The only caches i can see are the site Index's for things like related Topic and the such. Do you think it might be wise to drop them and then restart them up?

Hmm... No I mean - does your MySQL use cache, or do you have some caching enabled in Admin -> Server settings -> Caching

EDITED TO ADD:

annikk, you might want to check out your cookie settings for starters.
Are you using database driven sessions, are you using locally stored cookies?
If not on either, you may want to try checking them ( one at a time, starting with database driven sessions ) to see if it helps. Other than that, it may be better to start your own topic on this matter.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

lupus

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 07:49:07 AM
Quote from: lupus on May 18, 2009, 07:39:05 AM

Hmm... No I mean - does your MySQL use cache, or do you have some caching enabled in Admin -> Server settings -> Caching

Ah sorry thick head on this morning trying to balance too many thing's..

No we don't have any caching set.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sounds strange.

One maybe a bit risky way you could possibly try, is to truncate smf_log_topics
and after that see if it works better. ( This would mean that every topic would be marked unread for every user if I'm correct. )

But I'm not exactly sure if that's a good idea....
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

lupus

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 08:03:01 AM
One maybe a bit risky way you could possibly try, is to truncate smf_log_topics
and after that see if it works better. ( This would mean that every topic would be marked unread for every user if I'm correct. )

Okay its certainly something to look at i guess..I'll see if i can find some info on doing that here as i'll admit its not something i know how to do.

I'll certainly make a full backup of the forum and stick it in Admin mode as well..Just in case ;)

Thanks for the help as well, if i could Rep you i would :D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem ;) I'm here to help, and spam around :P

To truncate the table, you would only need phpmyadmin :)
You can either just run a query TRUNCATE smf_log_topics in your database,
or while viewing the database structure, just check the smf_log_topics table,
and from the drop down in the bottom select "truncate" ( or empty - I'm not sure which word is used there ).

But if you want to try this, I do suggest making a backup. :)

And if it did help, you could possibly also then make all topics read for everyone,
with a slightly edited version of this script http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=212330.msg1667071#msg1667071
if you want...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

annikk.exe

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 07:49:07 AMOther than that, it may be better to start your own topic on this matter.

New topic started here.  Sorry for highjacking.. :>

-Annikk

JBlaze

lupus, have you upgraded to 1.1.9? Are you still having this problem?

If not please feel free to mark this topic as solved.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: