News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Problems converting

Started by stcmtemn, March 23, 2005, 09:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stcmtemn

I am trying to convert form IPB 1.3 to smf. as I run the converter I get the following message:

"The database password you entered was incorrect. Please make sure you are using the right password (for the SMF user!) and try it again"

I have tried adding users and changing passwords all to no avail.  Please help.

[Unknown]

This should be the same database password shown in Settings.php which you used to install SMF.  If you don't know what it is, open up Settings.php and look for:

$db_passwd = 'something';

Where the word something is your password.  This prompt is there for security reasons.

-[Unknown]

stcmtemn

Thanks, that helped but I have no idea where the entry came from.

Now, I am having another issue after I inserted the password word I got the following:

"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Invision Power Board. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.
"

There are both in the same mysql account so any further guidence would be great.

Again Thanks

[Unknown]

Are they using the same database account or different ones?  Same or different database?

Even if you're using the same account for hosting, MySQL allows you to set up multiple accounts and attach them to multiple databases.  The account SMF is using needs to be attached to both the SMF and Invision databases.

What control panel does your host give you to manage MySQL?

-[Unknown]

stcmtemn

Fixed it, thanks  I am now up and running.

mei_mei

So how did you fix this? I'm experiencing the same problems too. I have converted one of my phpbb2 boards to SMF and that worked like a charm (but it was small so I wasn't expecting there to be too many problems), but in trying to convert my large IPBv1.3 over to SMF I'm getting the same message:

"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Invision Power Board. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it."

Both myself and my hosts have had a tackle at the problem but can't seem to get past this. We've changed things around, tried different things but still this message appears. I gave up in the end as my boards were offline for a while but I'd really like to know how to sort this out! Any help would be much appreciated!

[Unknown]

Have you tried installing them both in the same database and using the same MySQL username and password?

-[Unknown]

mei_mei

Yep. Still came back with the error message.

[Unknown]

I'm not sure what to tell you then.  Have you made sure that the database information in Invision's settings file matches that information in SMF's?  That's really the crucial part, if you don't have permissions set up.

-[Unknown]

mei_mei

Sorry to bring this back again, but I'm still experiencing the same problem.

Currently I have 4 message boards. 1 is SMF and the other 3 were IPB1.3. One of the IPB boards came under attack by a hacker. I noticed that the converter on the site here had been updated since I last tried to use it so I downloaded it and successfully converted the IPB1.3 board over to SMF.

However, the other two boards, sitting on the same server (under different domains) would not convert over. Instead I get the same error message as before:

"Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Invision Power Board. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it."

Since one of my IPB boards did convert, I realise that the converter itself is not an issue, but I'm thinking its to do with the domain names?? The two boards that won't convert were originally under different domain names, and thus different settings on the server. Because the domain names have changed, but they still sit in the same spot as before, could this affect the converter?  I changed a number of things with the db names etc but to no avail. The installation of the boards are successful, its just the conversion part that fails. I've checked with the administrators who host my sites and they don't know enough about either IPB or SMF to understand it, but I keep thinking it has got something to do with the domain names.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this I'd really appreciate it.  :)

Advertisement: