News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Machines adds team dedicated to internationalization

Started by Compuart, May 24, 2009, 03:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compuart

From the start, Simple Machines Forum has been made by many people around the globe and has been translated and supported in many languages. The software has always been developed with localization in mind.  Our translators provide a large number of translations in a relatively short time frame and the number of translations is still growing.

To stress the importance of internationalization, Simple Machines has created the Internationalization Team. They will supervise translations, develop new concepts and ideas for better internationalized software & support and facilitate other teams to be more localization-aware.

So, what can you expect in the future?
  • Better and more personalized support in your country and language
  • Software development that is even more focused on localization characteristics
  • Translation in more languages and more things translated (site translations, modifications translations, etc.)

What can you do to help?
  • We are always looking for translators for any of the non-English languages. See this topic.
  • Post your suggestions for the new team in this topic. What can Simple Machines do to improve support for your country or language?
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Dzonny

I'm glad that smth like this is organized...
and i hope that support will be better (it's very good now, but always can be better)...

Trekkie101

M-DVD

It looks very good, always thought it would be very nice if (for example) the Docs section was translated into as many languages as possible.

Many times, when someone asks support, is sent to these Docs, and then the people say he doesn't know nothing English.

--

Another aspect, would be good if the translation of MODs have a system similar to the translations of Forum.

Or maybe a more "primitive", for example, could be "post type", but with xml downloadable.

In this case, the MOD only will be include the English translation, but the user also could download the translation if it is already available.

Akyhne

M-DVD: Some of your suggestions are already concidered ;)

However it is more imortant right now that SMF is fully translated into those languages already available.

TheDisturbedOne

I only use one language (English), but I think that it is great that SMF is internationalizing the software!

Dannii

I've started using Launchpad for translating my mod. It's a great site.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Kill Em All

Congrats, I'm glad to see SMF moving forward every day.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

islam2hamy

Quote from: M-DVD on May 24, 2009, 04:07:31 PM
It looks very good, always thought it would be very nice if (for example) the Docs section was translated into as many languages as possible.

Many times, when someone asks support, is sent to these Docs, and then the people say he doesn't know nothing English.

--

Another aspect, would be good if the translation of MODs have a system similar to the translations of Forum.

Or maybe a more "primitive", for example, could be "post type", but with xml downloadable.

In this case, the MOD only will be include the English translation, but the user also could download the translation if it is already available.

good idea's

Arabic Translator - Web Designer
My Mods / My Themes  //  GfxLand

islam2hamy

what about outside supports site's for non-English languages ??

Arabic Translator - Web Designer
My Mods / My Themes  //  GfxLand

Antes

i think everythink goes awsome ... nothing more but only Furl or Like that SEO
i think if dev team works on Full SEO system ( Tag + SEO + Sitemap ) it be a final move :) , We all waiting RC2 & New Theme :P ,

& how can we start to translate DOCs ?

Glad to be in This Team & Community
Antes

GravuTrad

Like it's already said before here, these translations are planified, we only wait that the system is ok to can do it.

So just wait patiently and it will be done. ;)

Happy to see finally this team. I hope we'll do a good job to satisfy a maximum of people.
On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Danpotter

Now a days we got tuff competition of php based sites like vbulletin

so for the development of SMF,we need to think different about smf which can make people more attaractive towards SMF  :)

MultiformeIngegno

RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

GravuTrad

On a toujours besoin d'un plus petit que soi! (Petit!Petit!)

Think about Search function before posting.
Pensez à la fonction Recherche avant de poster.

Gary

I see the team went with Sepia for the badge then. Couldn't come up with anything better? :P

Anyway, congrats to the new two people. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

flash_os

There some problem with Hebrew, the translation are OK, but there is no RTL support for Babylon template (default).
You should add transformed to Hebrew default templates.

Cause only translation is not enough for Hebrew and Arabic.

MultiformeIngegno

Quote from: GravuTrad on May 25, 2009, 07:42:19 AM
translation of what?

this one isn't ok?

http://download.simplemachines.org/?languages;lang=italian
I've problems with the UTF-8 version... if I try to download it from the admin dedicated area SMF says there aren't files to download.
Instead the non-utf8 package works properly...
RockCiclopedia (wiki - forum), Tutta la storia del rock, scritta da voi ...
Rimanere aggiornati sul mondo della musica grazie al nuovo feed "RockCiclopedia Music News"!

Akyhne

Advertisement: