Where can I get and how do I install some new Smileys?

Started by 98Ways, March 24, 2005, 02:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

98Ways

Ive just got an SMF 1.0.2. board, using the Helios Green theme. But the Smileys are kind of old.

Can someone walk me through step-by-step how I can install some funkier ones? I dont know where to get any either.

I would appreciate this so much.

Jazhawk

http://www.mysmilies.com/

http://www.jms101.btinternet.co.uk/full_sets/index.htm

Get your smile groove on!

Then when you get a set, ftp them to your server under something like public_folder/boardname/smileys.

Create a folder there and dump them into it.  Then from Admin/Smileys and Smiley Sets/  select them from the drop down.

-Jazhawk

Miraenda

MrPetertoyou

ok I am a newb in the learning process lol! I have SMF 1.0.3 I just installed the theme Helios (Awesome theme btw) works great really dressed things up... Now I want to custumize smiley sets... when I go to the previos page link ^^^ up there posted by JazHawk... I find the smiley I want... click it then supose to copy that "code" like this

to where? to a notepad doc or what I dont get it...  if I try and save the smiley which are active ones... I just get a jpeg pic lol... if I copy the code to the upload smiley area in admin.... I get this error " An Error Has Occurred!
Image can only have the following extensions: jpeg, jpg, gif, png, bmp.  " and... I would like to save these to my local harddrive, then upload the "set" ... if I have to upload one at a time thats ok.. not going to have zillions... help me plz, from the beginning... to the end... in plain terms plz, lol! thanks all this a great forum. been a lot of help. "Newbs are the up coming Admins"

Miraenda

Hi MrPetertoyou,

You do not save the code but the image.  You would right click and then select "Save Image As..." option, select a location on your computer to save it, and then when you have a bunch of smilies, you would upload them using FTP to the smilies directory on your board.  Then you would log into your SMF board as an admin, click the admin link, and then click "Smileys and Smiley Sets" to add them.

Thanks.

MrPetertoyou

:P Ok thnx Miraenda! That helped and I choose all my smileys, saved them to my hard drive in a folder... now I tried to upload them using "package manager" as a zipped file and I get this error msg :An Error Has Occurred!
The package you tried to upload either is not a valid package or has become corrupted. 
Not sure what this meens lol! yes I am a newb! Hold my hand here? plz? ;D

Miraenda

You wouldn't upload them as a package, though, just FTP them to the smiley directory (for example, my smiley directory is at /home/username/public_html/Smileys on my server setup where username is my account username).  You need to upload them to your Smiley directory (you can zip them and then upload and extract there), and then you would use the "Smiley and Smiley Sets" link as I noted under "Forum Configuration" not the package manager.  You then pick add smiley to add them 1 at a time.  Otherwise, create a new smiley folder within the Smiley directory on your account and then select that folder in the "Smiley Sets" section.

MrPetertoyou

:'( ok Miraenda... one more ... I am an administrator to this forum (forum only I guess) which is connected to a website run by someone else on a distant server... tried using smart ftp to do this but cannot even connect to server... frustrating for some smileys but will be worth it when done. members will be happy! And I am learning lots lol! I am not familiar with ftp things, I understand SM forum prog very well... but know nothing of ftp'ing things lol! I learn fast tho I like to learn :) I have the path and "absolute path" to the smileys on the forum but cannot connect with the server but thru the forum program itself. ??? Thank you sooo much for all your time and help... do I need to contact the "server" admin to do this? If so, never know when I will see them lol! and would like to get this done .. I am missing something here huh?

MrPetertoyou

:)  :P  8) Thank you soooo much for your help Miraenda! I figured it out.. have to add them one by one anyways... so just click on "add smiley" and browsed to folder and choose, put in code for activate and name click upload *poof* smiley in default group just have to manage and choose to hide or popup... works great ty!  :P Look forward to pickin your brain agn, your smart :)

Miraenda

I'm glad it is working for you now. Not sure about being smart, although I do thank you for the compliment :)

Advertisement: