News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Board Notification Mod - 1.2.2 released

Started by SabreOfParadise, May 28, 2009, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldpilot

FTR I get the error - every time I post or modify on the mod board only.
Do not get it on the community board.

SabreOfParadise

Funny that these problems only pop up in summer time. ;)

Quote from: PenelopeQ on June 26, 2013, 12:01:36 PMSince I am not translating to an unsupported language, I assume that the changes Valmiki described in Reply 124 do not apply to me.

What languages do you have installed? If you are using english-utf8 for example that could be the cause.

Quote from: PenelopeQ on June 26, 2013, 12:01:36 PMI have attached the file EmailTemplates.english.php as was requested in Reply #112. I found this file in myforumfolder/Themes/core, but I use the Curved Life theme which is a different folder, could that be part of the problem?

The file includes the necessary notify_boards_once_reply mail template so it's not the file that is causing the problem. Does the Curved Life theme override the file EmailTemplates.english.php?

Quote from: oldpilot on June 27, 2013, 12:02:39 PM
FTR I get the error - every time I post or modify on the mod board only.

Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean the
The email template "notify_boards_once_reply" could not be found.
error?
If yes: What languages have you installed?

PenelopeQ

Quote from: SabreOfParadise on July 01, 2013, 02:58:22 AM
What languages do you have installed? If you are using english-utf8 for example that could be the cause.
I do see english-utf8 in my default themes folder, core themes folder. Curvedlife and curvemulticolor do not have a language folder. I said that I use curvedlife, but I made a mistake, I use curvemulticolor.

Quote from: SabreOfParadise on July 01, 2013, 02:58:22 AMDoes the Curved Life theme override the file EmailTemplates.english.php?
I don't know if my theme overrides, how can I tell?

Quote from: SabreOfParadise on July 01, 2013, 02:58:22 AM
Quote from: oldpilot on June 27, 2013, 12:02:39 PMFTR I get the error - every time I post or modify on the mod board only.

Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean the
The email template "notify_boards_once_reply" could not be found.
error?
If yes: What languages have you installed?
OldPilot is the lead moderator at my board, so he was letting you know that he is also getting the error and he gets it EVERY time he posts on that particular board. It was not every time for me at first, but has been every time lately.

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: PenelopeQ on July 01, 2013, 12:04:31 PMI do see english-utf8 in my default themes folder, core themes folder. Curvedlife and curvemulticolor do not have a language folder. I said that I use curvedlife, but I made a mistake, I use curvemulticolor.

Quote from: PenelopeQ on July 01, 2013, 12:04:31 PMI don't know if my theme overrides, how can I tell?

The theme would have an EmailTemplates.english.php in the languages folder but as the theme doesn't even have this folder it can't override the template.

I guess the language of your user is english-utf8 then, too. Can you try to use the normal English instead and see if this helps? If yes, the cause really is the language. I have released version 1.2.2 to support english-utf8 so in this case please install that version and tell me if this solves the problem: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1861

PenelopeQ

Quote from: SabreOfParadise on July 02, 2013, 03:51:41 AMI have released version 1.2.2 to support english-utf8 so in this case please install that version and tell me if this solves the problem: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1861
WOOHOO YAY!
I upgraded to the new one and it works--I've posted three times in that board and no error message.
Awesome. Thanks

oldpilot

rob54

Hi,
I had this mod when I had 1.1.1x. I had problems with the notification text not showing by the tickbox. Never did get to the bottom of it. Anyhow I have now upgraded to 2.0.5 and of course none of the old mods worked and were deleted. So I just wondered if I might install it again, if 2.0.5 is supported. Can you just tell me which file to use please for the install?

SabreOfParadise

I'm running it myself with 2.0.5. Updated the OP and the mod page accordingly and and deleted the old SMF 1 only ZIP to avoid confusion as the version 1.2.2 contains the version for both SMF 1 & 2.

gothbert

Hi,

we run a forum with many boards and most users subscribed to several boards. We therefore thought it useful to include the board name in the subject of the notification e-mails sent, like "[OurForum - BoardName] The title of the new topic". We modified the mod ourselves to enable this but we consider a local fork problematic when it comes to upgrading the SMF software or the mod.

We wonder if there are other forum admins who are interested in aforementioned feature and would like to have it included in the official mod.

Thanks for your comments.

Kind regards
Boris

SabreOfParadise

As said per PM: In my own forum the board names are too long to be used in the subject so I would only implement this with a switch in the settings to switch the board name in the subject on or off. Therefore there has to be a definite demand for the board name in the subject as I don't have a motivation to implement this for myself.

I also don't see a real reason for this. When I get emails the topic title is much more important than the name of the corresponding board. Boards in my eyes are primarily useful for the search function and if you decide to only check out parts of a forum.
Of course that means that the admins and mods have to establish that topic titles are meaningful and not something like 'Need help', 'Messed up', 'Argh!' or similar.

ProjectAlice

Hello Sabre! This is my first try at a mod on SMF. I've been searching for an answer but I think my question is so noobish that it hasn't been posted.  :-/ Anyhow, I have downloaded the BoardNotificationMod zip file. I extracted it on my computer, and now I don't know whether to upload the contents of the folder, or use the manual installation instructions. Perhaps I've missed something obvious. If so, I apologize for bothering you. I'm just new to this, and I don't want to break my site. Any help you can provide is very appreciated!

Heather

Arantor

You don't need to extract it on your computer. Upload it to Admin > Main > Packages (or Admin > Main > Package Manager, I forget exactly what it's called these days) and SMF should be able to do handle it for you.

SabreOfParadise

Yep, it's Admin => Package Manager in SMF 2.

You'll only need to do it manually if the Package Manager doesn't work for some reason like problems with the FTP server on Unix or something like that. In that case make the changes to the files mentioned in modification2.0.x.xml manually and call install_db.php to install the database structure. This will make updates a little harder as you have to check whether one of the changed files is updated and then merge the updates into it.

ProjectAlice

You guys are wonderful! Thank you very much for your help. Sorry for being such a noob. I appreciate your time and assistance!!  :)

OCJ

I'm getting the same error using  other language on the site - Japanese.

When you make a post with that language set it does actually save it but gives the error and a back link. Not really optimal if users keep seeing error message when they reply.

Quoteエラー発生!
The email template "notify_boards_reply" could not be found.

Latest SMF version
No errors on install

Default language is English    ISO-8859-1
Also Japanese    UTF-8
Forum database is converted to utf-8

Is there no way to make it fall back to use the English files?
To fix it do I need to make copies of the mod files saved as Japanese versions? If so which files?
Andy

SabreOfParadise

Inside the ZIP file there is a modification2.0.xml for SMF 2. There the language specific section begins with:
<!-- *** Language specific files *** -->

Then you can just copy the section of one language and translate them to Japanese.

I don't know of a fallback solution, but that's a general question, not specific to my Mod.

David_SWS

Hi,
I'm getting a strange operation from the Mod and can't work it out. Looking for some help on what might be wrong.

I have set up:
* A Testing board.
* A Test group with the new permission "Request notification on new replies for subscribed boards"
* The Admin group also has this by default.
* UserA who is a member of the Admin and Test group.
* UserB who is just a member of the Test group.
* UserA has Notify enabled for the Test board.
* UserA has notifcation regularity set to Immediate
* UserA has notification occurrence set to "On Replies and Moderation".

Now:
* UserA creates a new Topic(post) in the Testing board
* UserB gets an email notification.

* UserA replies to the original post.
* UserB does NOT get an email notifcation.
Hmmmm

At one point we disabled Notify on the Testing board and re-enabled it. Then a few emails came flying through. But now nothing.

Any suggestions on what to look for?

SabreOfParadise

Maybe the MOD isn't installed correctly or completely. Can you please post the changed files?
- $sourcedir/ManagePermissions.php
- $sourcedir/Post.php

Language specific (might be a different language, currently supported are: English, English UTF8, German, German UTF8, French)
- $languagedir/EmailTemplates.english.php
- $languagedir/ManagePermissions.english.php

David_SWS

Hi,

Here are the files. I only modified 2 files. Post.php and Subs-Post.php

In Post.php, I changed the function notifyMembersBoard and updated the query to add one of our own field called mem.ActiveMembersZone
Same goes with Subs-Post.php sendNotifications function.

Please note that same thing happens without my code changes.

Advertisement: