Board Notification Mod - 1.2.2 released

Started by SabreOfParadise, May 28, 2009, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabreOfParadise

I meant the files changed by this MOD (see list above).

David_SWS

Sorry, to be clarify, those are the files that have been changed by the MOD.

I just wanted to also highlight that I added some extra conditions to the main DB Query in post.php and subs-post.php. These should not affect the MOD as they are in a different area and were made after we discovered the strange MOD operation.

Thanks.

SabreOfParadise

The files are looking OK.

Just to clarify:

QuoteUserA has Notify enabled for the Test board.
I guess UserB has this, too?

Did UserB look at the new topic before the reply?
When I tested the scenario on my test system this was needed to get a reply.

David_SWS

Hi,
I finally tracked the problem down to inherited permissions for the test board and member group/profile etc. I manage to get the test board and notifications working.

But I came across one more issue when testing on the main forum. When creating a reply to or editing an old post and saving the change it gave this error:
    "The email template "notify_boards_reply" could not be found."

Could this be a permissions thing. I'm not sure why it's even sending an email for a change.

Thanks,
David

David_SWS

Yes the language setting had been changed during testing. Age old lesson"Only change one thing at a time!".

Thanks!

OCJ

Thanks, I will give that a try.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=313867.msg3821413#msg3821413

QuoteInside the ZIP file there is a modification2.0.xml for SMF 2. There the language specific section begins with:
Code: [Select]

<!-- *** Language specific files *** -->

Then you can just copy the section of one language and translate them to Japanese.

I don't know of a fallback solution, but that's a general question, not specific to my Mod.

debiwebi

I've searched this topic to see if anyone has mentioned this before, had no luck, so here goes:

I've been using the Mod 1.2.2 on my forum which is running on 2.0.10 and it's been working great! It's very useful, thanks.

What I'd like, though, is to have the notifying emails say in the subject: 'New Modification: {TOPICSUBJECT}' instead of "New Reply" which is misleading. (Same goes in the 'body' as well). Also, where it says "You can see it at {TOPICLINK}" it would be infinitely more useful to have it actually link to the modified message.

Has anyone ever requested this before?

If you don't plan to do this in the future, is this something I can change myself in modification2.0.x.xml? I'm not a coder or anything even close, but can usually MacGyver my way around stuff and not break things too badly.  O:)

Would I replace TOPICLINK with MESSAGELINK ?
Some mornings it just isn't worth
chewing through the leather straps.
~Emo

Unlimited Own Posts Editing Time

debiwebi

Dang, I was going to edit my previous post and see I've run out of editing time. Time to make a comment: It sure would be nice to be able to edit my own posts.

Anyway, in examining the forum setup it looks like the file that inserts the text into the emails is EmailTemplates.english.php. Which I'm thinking may not be so easy to change with respect to the Board Notification emails, since they may also be used for general post notices? I'll be patient though and hope for a solution.  :)

~Emo

SabreOfParadise

There is no MESSAGELINK in the code but this is already being done by the ".new#new" suffix.

The "modification" label would be wrong since most of the time these kind of emails are about replies not modified posts.

So to make this work you would at first need to check whether the changed thing was a new reply or a modification which would require a bit of programming effort not just rewriting some text.
Also this has nothing to do with the mod since it is the standard behavior to not distinguish between replies and modifications.

debiwebi

~Emo

Advertisement: