vBSMF v.2.0 (preview/WIP)

Started by expendable, March 28, 2005, 08:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

expendable

The other day I saw the other vBSMF theme and wasn't too impressed with the conversion. So, instead of doing nothing about it, I decided to make a theme conversion of my own. I present to you: vBSMF v.2.0 [nofollow].

It's still a work in progess as I need to convert pretty much every page sans the index (biggest hurdle; and even it's not perfect -- yet  :D) and validate all of the html and css. So please, leave any comments and/or criticism.

Also, regarding copyrights: I cannot release this theme with any copyrighted images/css/java script from vBulletin. I do have the css part taken care of, but unfortunately I'm no graphics wizard. If anyone is willing to help make similar images, it'd be much appreciated (contact me by PM, email or IM). And if I can, I'll also add the nice java script powered popups vB 3 uses.

CapriSkye

very nice!

you should get rid of "started by" column and get poster name under topic subject, i think that's how vbb does it.

check out this thread if you don't know how to do that
http://open.38.com/index.php/topic,602.msg2346.html#msg2346

bloc

It looks very similar, good conversion. Your page has some errors though, might want to look at that.

I really don't think its fair to just dismiss the other vbSMF theme like that. That is a good theme, and stand on its own. To make this one "number 2" seems a bit "i am better" than it needs too. Why not use another name with "vb" in it?

(Why its so important to get that precise vb look is beyond me, its as if people want their car too look like a bmw, when its a perfectly good jaguar.  ;) oh, well. I am outnumbered there I guess..)

expendable

Thanks for the suggestion and link, CapriSkye. I'll be looking into it.

Quote from: Bloc on March 29, 2005, 06:08:27 AM
Your page has some errors though, might want to look at that.

Errors? Do you mean validation/css errors? I know about those (and will address them), but if there are others on the index page would you mind being more specific? It'd definitely help out.

I really don't think its fair to just dismiss the other vbSMF theme like that. That is a good theme, and stand on its own. To make this one "number 2" seems a bit "i am better" than it needs too. Why not use another name with "vb" in it?

Well, I didn't mean to dimiss the other vBSMF by creating this theme. If I came off as pretentious, I'd like to apologize. The name came off the time of my head  right before I posted (seemed fitting) and is definitely changeable. Do you have any suggestions?

(Why its so important to get that precise vb look is beyond me, its as if people want their car too look like a bmw, when its a perfectly good jaguar.  ;) oh, well. I am outnumbered there I guess..)

I'm going for the "precise vB look" to get away from the other vBSMF's default SMF look. There wasn't enough changed, for my taste. I, personally, like the setup of vB and IPB compared to SMF (I previously used an IPB before I switched over), and I'd like to help bring the look over for myself AND others. I love the software; I just don't like SMF's default look.

bloc

As i said, I am probably outnumbered.... ::) I am kind of fed up on vb look, see it everywhere.

Name..well, vbxxx maybe , where xxx is a color or feeling you think fits the theme when you change colors/graphics?

I can see your point in smf/vb/ipb...but for me to have a look-a-like theme for SMF that resembles vb,phpbb or any other, is more of a practical joke,a tribute (to SMF theme engine) than anything else.

You could argue that since I make themes just for SMF, I am biased. Which is true ;D, but not without cause. SMF simply is the better on both content and possible looks.   

alienine

Well vB have been building on the same look for over 6 years now... I agree with Bloc on the "SMF is better" part (no surprises there), but the current default theme is getting worn around the edges.

Nightwish

Quote from: alienine on March 29, 2005, 10:30:51 AM
Well vB have been building on the same look for over 6 years now... I agree with Bloc on the "SMF is better" part (no surprises there), but the current default theme is getting worn around the edges.
Basically, vB3 has got a completely new theme. I don't like it though and still prefer the vB 2.x look, but the 3.x theme has some nice things (like the collapsable sections). I've done the latter for SMF and it was pretty easy using the SMF template system, which is, in my opinion, more powerful than any other, simply because you can do anything PHP allows.

The templates on my board (see signature) are based on the SMF default template set, but try to emulate another vB3 theme (which I really like and which has not much in common with the default vB3 theme).

The js/dhtml collapsable sections work for categories aswell, but only if you're logged in.
Every program has at least one bug and can be shortened by at least one instruction -- from which, by induction, one can deduce that every program can be reduced to a single instruction that doesn't work.
EoS - SMF-based forum under development.

Numair

http://www.apni-mehfil.com
Where Fun Never Fades!

Avci

PopLife

WOW! Great job. This is probably my favourite theme so far :D. For people that would like a professional look like this, i think it would be easy to change colours and catbg. (That is, if you wanted a different look) Because I really like the shape of VB. You could even release colour variations if you wanted.

Miraenda

Funny, but I have vB and many vB people complain about how the default theme sucks on the members forum there lol

I have a vB test board that I don't use with my licensed copy at http://anythingeverything.org/vb/ that has a non-default theme b/c I dislike their default so much :P

As you can see, I haven't fixed the header yet to show my site instead since it is just for testing and stuff.

I don't think there is a minority of people that dislike vB's default at all since I personally know so many who don't like it, but for those who do like it, it is whatever you want to do.  The only issue would be if there were copyrighted materials being offered up when the theme is released into production or graphics intended to represent copyrighted materials.  I have to suspect that actually making a forum look exactly like another one that is not open source will end up being a copyright violation in and of itself since design is part of copyright.

Rat1972

Looks nice, will there be a download for this theme?

expendable

I've been quite busy with school and applications for scholarships, so I haven't had a chance to spend much time with the theme. Also, with several of the replies, it has caused me to rethink my plans (definitely not a bad thing). And with 1.1 on the horizon (will it nullify current themes?), I'm not quite sure if the theme will be released soon if at all. I'll come to a definite decision within the next couple of days, though.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, everyone.  :)

klumy

very impressing theme ;)

I hope this theme can be released with some modified non copyright graphics

Numair

Everyday in the morning I pray that this theme is released and I download it :)
Where Fun Never Fades!

Rat1972

Quote from: Numair on April 08, 2005, 02:37:25 PM
Everyday in the morning I pray that this theme is released and I download it :)

I know what you mean ;)

eMachine

Quote from: expendable on April 07, 2005, 08:00:50 PM
I've been quite busy with school and applications for scholarships, so I haven't had a chance to spend much time with the theme. Also, with several of the replies, it has caused me to rethink my plans (definitely not a bad thing). And with 1.1 on the horizon (will it nullify current themes?), I'm not quite sure if the theme will be released soon if at all. I'll come to a definite decision within the next couple of days, though.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, everyone.  :)

i once made vb classic theme for PhpBB but did not share it =), now i can help you with smf-vb ...
regards

expendable

Thanks everyone for your kind words. With some time and adjustments, this theme will be released.  :)

Quote from: eMachine on April 11, 2005, 04:50:08 PMi once made vb classic theme for PhpBB but did not share it =), now i can help you with smf-vb ...
regards

PM sent.

Numair

Oh you do? Is the wished granted? :)
Where Fun Never Fades!

nothing_special

I suggest you try contacting nightwish, she was able to emulate the VBulletin Post form and the JS Collapse Categories on here AQUA port...

I also wish you'd be successful with the DHTML menus  ;D

Hehe, I'm so excited for your theme. If you decide not releasing the images, the template itself would be good if you are able to implement the DHTML menus.

Advertisement: