News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Beta 1 Released to Charter Members

Started by David, March 28, 2005, 11:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

We are very proud to announce the release of SMF 1.1 Beta 1 to Charter Members tonight.  This is another large milestone that adds many new features and refines areas of our interface.  You've been able to use this version of our software here for the past week or so as we completed internal beta testing.  Like when we were in a closed beta of SMF 1.0, we will not be releasing this beta beyond our group of Charter Members.  We'd like to once again thank everyone who has helped SMF from its conception to the point it is at today.

Some of the major changes made in this release are:

• Added a search section to the admin center, including new options for search - like fulltext support
  • Changed the way that avatars can be handled, offering the option for storing avatars separate to attachments (for a speed improvement), and the ability to force external avatars to be downloaded to the server
  • Added additional notification settings, for selecting whether a user wishes to be notified on all events, and whether they wish to receive the message body in the notification
  • Revamp of the theme settings area, to vastly improve theme management including more user friendly editing of themes, and a preview for style sheet editing.
  • Overhauled the current registration system, including better handling of activation methods and optional COPPA compliance
  • Added a sidebar to the personal message area, including support for "labeling" personal messages, and the option to display a capacity bar showing the state of the users inbox
  • Attachments are no longer lost on preview
  • Added support for custom message icons - by theme and board
  • Added PM support for users accessing the forum through WAP2 or iMode.
  • Extended the current xml feeds to include atom and rdf
  • Added support for previewing posts without reloading the page, and username autocompletion when sending PMs
  • Added new BBC tag "html", to allow administrators to add HTML to their posts
  • Added a new setting for maximum time after a post has been made that it can be edited or deleted
  • Calendar management given it's own area in the admin center, where holidays can be edited and/or added
  • It is now possible to post events that are not locked to a specific topic
  • Improved the admin interface to be cleaner, and more user friendly
  • Added a currently hidden feature to use memcached or MMCache/ZPS/eAccelerator shared memory.

Thank you for your continued support,
The Simple Machines Team
This space for rent.

Amacythe

QuoteImproved the admin interface to be cleaner, and more user friendly

Are these changes going to change the documentation that has been written?

Tristan Perry

Awesome  :) It's good to know that 1.1 is drawing nearer.. *Checks with parents about becoming a charter member*

James Woodcock

Congratulations to everyone who has worked on SMF.  I look forward to this release, are there any known bugs with the beta or is just for error checking?

digit

Happily using a heavily modified 1.1.16 version of SMF!

2748011 Posts in 320998 Topics by 50986 Members

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

Daniel D.

If you can test this version :D - there are worlds between 1.0.3. SMF 1.1 rulez...

I use it for weeks now as a test board...

James Woodcock

Well if I have time I will enjoy playing about with 1.1 beta

Tristan Perry

I purcashed a charter membership today and I'm very glad- this new version is a great improvement on the last  :) Thanks for all the hard work SM  :)

Ben_S

Quote from: James Woodcock on March 29, 2005, 10:18:18 AM
Congratulations to everyone who has worked on SMF.  I look forward to this release, are there any known bugs with the beta or is just for error checking?

Probably quite a number of bugs although nothing major, a few people have been running the cvs builts for the last few months without major problems.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

JRSofty

Just a simple question so I can be prepared for the final release.

Will 1.1 be completely compatible with 1.0.3? If not what will be the possible problems should we look for when the 1.1 upgrade is released?
Rebooting the SMF AI Bot see Project link below for details

http://jrsofty1.stinkbugonline.com
http://www.galahtech.org

SMF Bot Project

Ben_S

Of course, an upgrade script will be provided, and indeed already is.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Grudge

Generally, on "major" updates such as 1.1, themes and mods will need to be edited/redone to make them compatible.
I'm only a half geek really...

Random

I've just noticed on here, the recent posts isn't limited to one page any more!!  I've been waiting ages for that to be included, thanks.  :)  Just out of interest, is it limited to 10 pages, or will it be a setting we can change? :)

richards

One day ill probably be a charter member. Im glad to see the working habbit of the SMF team.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Random on March 29, 2005, 02:15:57 PM
I've just noticed on here, the recent posts isn't limited to one page any more!!  I've been waiting ages for that to be included, thanks.  :)  Just out of interest, is it limited to 10 pages, or will it be a setting we can change? :)

It may be a setting later, but every page farther you go, the more inefficient and server killing it gets.

-[Unknown]

Omar Bazavilvazo

Oh my...

I just downloaded it.. :)

Guess i'll have a lot of work with spanish translation :P

Personal Signature:
HablaJapones
http://hablajapones.org
http://hablajapones.org/tutoriales.php

NO me manden PM para soporte o dudas
...Leo los foros como todos...

Bear

Is this new release compatible with the current Helios theme?

Random

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 29, 2005, 04:53:12 PM
Quote from: Random on March 29, 2005, 02:15:57 PM

It may be a setting later, but every page farther you go, the more inefficient and server killing it gets.

-[Unknown]

Thanks  :)  I'm just glad to see it's in there now, my members love it  ;D ;D

bloc

Quote from: Bear on March 30, 2005, 12:03:55 AM
Is this new release compatible with the current Helios theme?

I haven't tested it yet...but I looked at the new template files yesterday, and can say that changes are probably needed. I noticed several javascript updates, and some new/changed variables at least.

MrFlicks

I Shall have to remember to become a charter member when I have a spare few pounds!
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

Advertisement: