News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Hosts

Started by Trekkie101, March 29, 2005, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkie101

Just a comment ive been wanting to say last week but believed most of them would attack me so I wasnt going to but I believe that the hosts section is being taken advantage of theres a few hosts in there and I see a few have been deleted, but im starting to belive that there needs to be tighter rules.

Maybe something along the lines of, you have to be an active member of this community and have over X posts (X=150?) to post your adverts for your host.
Just that way we know they can run SMF and have done for atleast a little while and know there way about the system and its resoruces so they can help you a little more with tweaks to make it work better on there servers. I mean theres respectable hosts like Charlottezweb, Rochen (They even set of a batch of paid ads) and XRD-Networks (Not that some others arent respectable ive noticed these ones mentioned and liked a lot) So you can kinda see these hosts support SMF in different ways, Xrd looks like he polices the Host area along with Jay, CWeb is a charter memeber an deposits comments on hosts etc and Rochen sent up some ads. Mattitude is writing docs and he has a host. As you see these people try to help in different ways, its like not payment but a payment of goodwill

Some hosts (I noticed one yesterday which was deleted) just join post there host and then post a comment in the templates board and leave.

I just feel its not fair for users who are looking for a good SMF host to go into a host section on the Official Support area and get bad hosts (sometimes).

So in conclusion I feel that maybe some tighter rules should be issued on the hosts section.

Anyone else got the same opinion or hate mine?

Cypher7

I agree that the rules should be tightened in someway...  as I too hate the one-hit-wonders who just post their ad and leave.

But having a post requirement can maybe just lead to and encourage spamming and the likes...?

I saw somewhere about a post-approval mod on this forum, where an admin or mod has to approve the post... maybe that would suffice!? If it even exists!!

David

I think we're pretty good about modding that board.  Most blatent spam is deleted.  If you ever feel a thread should be removed, feel free to report it and we'll take a look.
This space for rent.

Cypher7

Quote from: David on March 29, 2005, 12:28:21 PM
I think we're pretty good about modding that board.

Oh I agree... very good. But it will help yourselves out too... prevention is better than cure!

Although... on the other hand, it does mean a bit more work for the Mods etc, having to approve posts or whatever...

I know myself that it's annoying seeing all the spam and having to constantly delete it.

ryanbsoftware

MaxD

Quote from: Cypher7 on March 29, 2005, 11:02:57 AM
I saw somewhere about a post-approval mod on this forum, where an admin or mod has to approve the post... maybe that would suffice!? If it even exists!!
ya ive seen that in the mods section of the smf site. ITs a nice mod, it would be nice to implement on the showcase board for new threads :)

JustClem

I am new to the SMF community after recently installing the forum, so my first post was actually in that forum.  Someone asked about value hosting, so I replied.

I understand the problem of "one-hit wonders", but it seems that the mods delete any blatantly bad posts.  I don't think a post-count limit is needed.

MicroTechXP

I agree> Looked there yesterday and I saw some bad hostes that I had signed up before with. :-[ >:(

Peter Duggan

To be honest, I get fed up of hosts who've had to be coerced into following the rules subsequently playing 'holier than thou' (and/or digging for dirt) with new ones who've failed to comply. So I really don't like the way that board tends to be 'policed', but wouldn't sign up with anyone anyway without researching them properly elsewhere as well.

MrFlicks

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I am presently setting up my hosting and reseller hosting packages etc and am dissapointed to find the guys I have hosting with are a little behind with their cpanels and do not as yet have SMF which I would appreciate a hand explaining to them if any wants to take the time
(UHM I wont post their name Just PM me for their e-mail addy)

But I for one certainly would not be posting about my hosting services in that Hosting board for quite some time yet .  At least not untill I happy with its set up.  I think the ideas above about having rules about posting is very good.

Those that come along join Post and post a couple more posts and then vanish should just be deleted so they are just wasting their time!
MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

Advertisement: