News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Worthless Piece Of Software

Started by nameuser, July 03, 2009, 08:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nameuser

goodby

Kill Em All

A lot of these posts are customization posts, yes I admit SMF has its problems, but every forum software does. Even VB, where you have to PAY OVER 100 DOLLARS!!!

No other forum system compares to SMF in customization, functionality, and friendliness. All the support teams are volunteers, who respond to 99% of posts in a matter of 20 minutes. 

SMF is my top favorite forum system, nothing can surpass it.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

JBlaze

Quote from: nameuser on July 03, 2009, 08:39:46 PM
You can tell it's a worthless piece of software by all the posts from people trying to get it to work.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you luck with any other forum software that you may choose.

FYI, a good 80% of the posts here for support are because of customizations made to SMF. A vanilla install of SMF has no such problems, except server incompatibilities.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

itsthedog

You can tell it's a worthless piece of software by all the posts from people trying to get it to work.

What other ones have you used? This is by far the easiest one I've used. If you can't figure it out I'd like to suggest you pay someone to set everything up for you.

Jade Elizabeth

Happy to see people sharing the love :D.

Go and compare our exploits to other software too, you will see we have a mere fraction of even the big paid software!
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=SMF
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=Simple+Machines
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=PhpBB
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=Vbulletin
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=Vb
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=invision+power+board
http://secunia.com/advisories/search/?search=ipb

And you can totally tell we rock by how active our community is by helping out those in need, and how dedicated we are to the software ;).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

wandawill

every time I couldn't get something to work I found out it was me not the software. it worked just fine like it was supposed to.

Kat-2

Far from worthless!! I LOVE SMF!

I had forums with phpbb, and they were teh suck!

I have worked with vBullentin, and don't much like it...and it has it's problems, believe me. Costs too.

SMF and the people involved with it are awesome!

Antechinus

This is a support forum. That means people come here when they need support for the software. If everything is running just fine they don't come here asking questions. The same is going to apply to any other support forum for any other software. They will all be full of people asking for solutions to problems.

As an example, if you search my posts you'll find that most of them are providing support to other people and comparatively few of them are asking for support for my own site. The reason is that my site is running just fine, thanks.  :P

Broken Arrow

awww, don't let this nay sayer get to you guys. SMF rules!

The reason there are so many posts is because this is the very best support team around!

catfished

I have two small SMF forums, one with just under 500 members and one with 125 members. I use these support forums for help on mods and other customizations. I always encounter friendly and helpful support.

I also maintain a small MyBB forum for a friend and while the software is pretty good, some of the support staff (especially one individual ) are pompous, egotistical jerks that assume you are already a professional programmer.

If you don't like SMF, definitely stay away from MyBB unless you don't need much support.
You use and like this forum software? Then show your appreciation and support by becoming a Charter Member.

CatfishEd.com

Yigal

SMF is a great forum software.  Nothing can beat it :)
Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

lovearat

I agree that SMF is the best!!  The way I look at it; if you don't love it, leave it. Then go pay big bucks for other software that doesn't even come close to smf.  And where you also won't get the friendly support you get here for free!!  When I first started out, I was a total nob.  But I was never treated unkindly because of it. Everyone was so kind and supportive. And they still are.  I'm not quiet the nob I was; but I'm still learning.  :P
<span style="font-size: 12px; color: red;">Do Not Pm Me For Support. Please use the appropriate board</span>

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You have never been to any other support forums then? ;)

I'll mark this as solved - since this doesn't seek help on anything.
I'll also move this over to feedback...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sabre™

The OP will be back, or will still use SMF after they realise they've made a fool of themselves.
Humorous that after 19 posts, they have such a strong understanding of the 'goings on' lol

Best of luck buddy, see ya round with your new account ;)
Do NOT give admin and/or ftp details to just anybody, see if they are trust worthy first!!  Do your homework ;)

septa/njt rider

ugh, not another one of these guys, they all need to STFU, if you don't like something, announcing it won't make it better for you, it only makes you look like a kid (i'm 16 and i'm saying this)

You don't like smf, go on to V-bullsh*t and pay 100+ for a software that's still bugged to this day

LiBen

Some thoughts here:

• The SMF software is free
  • even paid software has updates & upgrade because it is not perfect and never will be!
  • many post are because people are looking for a function they want added for their specific needs
  • some posts are because people overlooked the existence of function

This sounds to me like a "trol remark".
The same thing happened when we started our forum: a dutch language forum for spouses of people from the Philippines. www.filippijnen.org
The administrator of the other dutch-phforum became member under a fake name and started calling all the members "defectors" This administrator is the proof that "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely"

Best wishes to all who make positive contibutions.  :)
To the other kind, well "septa/njt rider" already said what they should do!  ;D

IchBin™

IchBin™        TinyPortal

青山 素子

Bit late, but I'd like to have a little say.

I fully believe in SMF as one of the best discussion forum solutions out there. If I didn't firmly believe this is so, I wouldn't spend so much time involved with the project for no pay. Yes, I help manage the whole project, handle advertising requests, help with e-mail requests, and much more all in my free time for no pay. The same thing applies to every team member here, and it shows in the great community we have and the wonderful modifications and themes our community provides for free which grow in number every day.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Yigal

I agree.  And just look at the statistics at how much people spend their time here helping other members. 

Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

|-noodle-|

wow, all you guys just got trolled.

he was just trying to get a rise out of you obviously.

ive used a lot of different forum software and i can say that SMF is by far not the best or strongest, but it is definitely the best free one. dont get me wrong, its damn good, but its no IPB.

i do love the customization support from the community. always have! :)

Advertisement: